whats the difference between endothelial dys and mvd

Does anyone know the difference between ed and mvd? I was told that I didn't have mvd but mild ed? Does anyone. Have mild ed? What is the prognosis and can it be reversed?

6 replies. Join the discussion

Here is a pretty detailed article about endothelial dysfunction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endothelial_dysfunction

Excerpt:
Endothelial dysfunction is a systemic pathological state of the endothelium (the inner lining of blood vessels) and can be broadly defined as an imbalance between vasodilating and vasoconstricting substances produced by (or acting on) the endothelium.[1] Normal functions of endothelial cells include mediation of coagulation, platelet adhesion, immune function and control of volume and electrolyte content of the intravascular and extravascular spaces. Endothelial dysfunction can result from and/or contribute to several disease processes, as occurs in septic shock, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, diabetes, it can also result from environmental factors, such as from smoking tobacco products and exposure to air pollution.

Mitral Valve Disease (from Mayo Clinic) http://www.mayoclinic.org/mitral-valve-disease/

In mitral valve disease, the valve between your left heart chambers (left atrium and left ventricle) doesn't work properly.

Types of mitral valve disease include:

Mitral valve regurgitation. In this condition, the flaps (leaflets) of the mitral valve weaken, causing blood to leak backward into the left atrium of your heart. If not treated, it can result in heart muscle damage. The most common cause of blood leakage is mitral valve prolapse, in which the leaflets bulge back into the left atrium as your heart contracts.
Mitral valve stenosis. In this condition, the mitral valve opening is narrowed.

I think she's referring to Micro Vascular Disease.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/small-vessel-disease/DS01080

Yes, I think you're right. Thanks for correcting.

Hi Babe03,

How did your appointment go with Dr. Tremmel? Did you have testing? Did you come away with any drug regimen? Have you also gone thought the GI testing, too, previously. Just wondering. Are you back home again, now? How are you feeling and what was the explanations given to you?

All best, Mary

Hi Mary
I sent you a private message earlier this evening. If you didnt get it let me know
Take care
Carly

I wish ther was a "dr tremmel" over in the UK,she sounds amazing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.