Weaning Off Isosorbide?

I would like to wean off Isosorbide. Has anyone here done this? Experiences?

I forgot two days in a row and woke with chest pains. I assum I could cut them in half and try that for a few weeks?

10 replies. Join the discussion

Gosh I would be very careful...I take 60 mg in the morning and 30 mg at bed time...As I have MVD and CAD...So I would talk to you Dr. before going off of any meds..especially when it has to do with your heart...Well take care...(((HUGS))), Wendy

My doc took me off since it seemed to cause more side effects for me than it was worth - he just had me stop, no weaning but I sure wouldn't do it without my doc knowing and advising ... esp if you get chest pains after missing two doses.

If you have chest pains when off it for a couple days, I think you need it. Weaning probably isn't necessary for someone who truly doesn't need it because it essentially wears off in 12 hours. You are playing with fire to stop it with the symptoms you have had.

I agree with Yarnkitty in that you are playing with fire for stopping it especially since the chest pains came back. You do not need to do this without your doctor's opinion. I can tell when my time release nitro is wearing off and it is time for another one. I have coronary artery spasms and have two heart attacks with this conditions. I don't play around with any medications.
Special85

Let me get this straight, you had a 2 heart attacks with CAS and NO BLOKAGE?!?!

Heartinpain, My GP doctor advised me to be free of nitro for @ least 8 hrs reason for it so I don't develop tolerance to it, so couple of days ago I decided to skip my Isosorbide which meant 4 pm was my last 15mg pill, but still with the patch .6 till 10 pm, that was big mistake! Needless to say I won't do that again,

Cashmere8,
I did have two heart attacks only they were not in the main arteries in my heart. They were in the smaller arteries that were too small to stent. I have lovely clear main arteries except where there is a place with a slight furring which they really keep an eye on. I have to take lipitor to make sure that it remains clear. I take 60 mg Imdur at 8am and another 60mg at 1 to 2 pm and sublingual whenever I need it. I make sure to go without it at night so I don't become torerant to it. I'm one of the rare birds in the PA world that has never had chest pain at night , well, except for the first heart attack which happened while trying to go to sleep around 10 pm.
Special85

Hi heartinpain,
Why do you want to wean yourself off the Isosorbide?
Are you getting side-effects? Blood pressure too low? Do "you" think you don't need it?
I cannot live without it (Isosorbide Mononitrate) at the moment!
Smiles
Tamara

Well I also have CAS, confirmed by being seen in action during multiple heart caths. I take a calcium channle blocker to control the spasms for the most part and go off and on isosoribide as needed for breakthrough spasms. If I need to take the iso for more than a couple of weeks I do cut them in half for a few days before stopping. I find that it helps prevent rebound spasms. I have trigers that sometimes override my CCB - stress, cig smoke, extreme temps either way, illness and more. I cannot avoid these all the time so I sometimesget breakthrough spasms. I HATE the side effects of iso so I only stay on it as minimally as possible.

Dianna

Hi gracie62,
What are your side effects from the nitrate?
Are you taking a mononitrate or dinitrate?
I don't have any side effects what so ever ...
Smiles
Tamara

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.