Peri-vascular Fat..(science news..)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120420123901.htm

13 replies. Join the discussion

Intriguing article. Looks like the concept is in early stages of investigation, but could lead to some treatment options in the next few decades.

Thanks for sharing this article with us. I was diagnosed with coronary spasm 3 months ago. My cath was clean. Lipitor was prescribed along with Cardizem--the cardiologist described how the spasm could have been due to the artery laying on top of cholesterol (or fat, forget which term he used). I told a few other doctors what he had said and they just looked at me with a quizzical look. I am wondering if this is what he was talking about?

Thanks Mary. This explanation seems logical and imaginable. I hope, deep down, however, that it isn't true-- it'd be yet another thing I need to accomodate for, another thing that the scientists need to figure out a cure for, another cure to wait for. But it certainly suggests that weight loss and low fat/no added sugar diet is even more critical!
Realistically, though, I will try to understand, incorporate and take in yet another paradigm.
Thanks for your detective work!
LOVE,
Melissa

Thanks, Mary. Interesting idea and sort of along the lines of the apple-shaped body being at greater risk than the pear-shaped body. Joyce

Very interesting. Thanks. Again, inflammation, medical profession really has problems trying to piece together what is real and unreal. I can't help thinking, my parents ate nothing but fried, fat filled foods; my father drank and smoked heavily. They were never sick a day in their life, but just dropped dead - both of them (at different times) at 83. My mother was moving furniture when she had her heart attack, and my father drove himself to the hospital with internal bleeding from anurisms. They did 8 hours of surgery on that old man, and then in a coma, they put him on a ventilator for another 16. We took him off because he had set up everything ahead of time. Point being, most of the members of my family lived their lives the way they wanted to. I have 2 aunts, still alive at about 95, 97.

My husbands father ate beautifully, was a farm boy, in perfect health. Went to have prostate operation at 64 and died of heart attack on the table. My husband has now outlived him by 5 years.

JuiceR, sounds like your parents had good genes and maybe low stress in their life. If they had watched their diet, not drank or smoked heavily, no doubt that would have lived into their hundreds. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7886570/Longevity-do-you-have-long-life- genes.html

I think health also has a lot to do with environment. I have known several women who developed breast cancer--all lived on farms. A surviving daughter and I began discussing this one day, and wondered if the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides had something to do with this.

My grandparents were the same--ate fried, fat-filled foods--and both lived to be in their 80s. They grew up on a farm, and continued farming their whole life--but, without pesticides. A lot of their farm land was actually timber. When they needed money, they would sell off some timber. Both worked hard outdoors until they retired in their 60s. Maybe, part of the answer to this dichotomy is that sweating outdoors, getting exercise and sunshine burns off a lot of toxins.

Tiger makes an important point. Starting with cigarette smoke, our bodies are exposed to thousands of combinations of chemicals ~ from our packaging, our pesticides, the non-stick coatings, the fabric protectant, the dry cleaning residue, the yard sprays, ad infinitum. In the Salinas valley, where those gorgeous beautiful strawberries are grown, it is common knowledge that cancer rates are high - and the groundwater is contaminated.

Good genes make up for a lot, but they are not invincible. Bad genes combined with pollutants and bad food can take you on the fast track down. All we can do is do our best, be aware and mitigate risk.

xoxo Mary

A biologist takes a different stance on the theory that estrogen extends life, as claimed in the link I posted above. http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aging-estrogen-progesterone.shtml

Another little clue perhaps. It would make sense if there would be some outside forces squeezing... after all, if you are obese especially with middle or belly fat, the fat accumulates and constricts organs and their function so this is no different, just at another level. Simple physics in a way and yet so much more as they speak of the "cross-talk." Makes ya wonder.... our bodies parts are linked in their functions in ways we do not know the language of just yet. Just why our fuel and every cross connection is so important.

Still.... where I fit into this personally? A mystery. Might I have a problem with perivascular fat but not subcutaneous? They indeed had to inject the lean mice. The puzzle is complex and my brain struggles to grasp all its implications.

Thanks for the mind work out.... :) In the future we may just be born... they will run a few blood tests and give us a full prescription for how our body works best!! What to eat, what to do to enhance our genetics positives and what brings out the negatives. Wouldn't that be nice?! Course there is already some degree of this, but I am talking about every little thing.... amazing.

I know since I have gained weight it is harder on my heart, as my heart now has to pump blood through more body mass.

I think Ray Peat makes an interesting point in his article, that the reason the mice may have lived longer is because of a lower caloric intake. Scientists have stated many times that in cultures where there is a lower caloric intake (but, not starvation, of course), people live longer. http://www.iangoddard.com/cr.htm

I never used to have a problem with lower caloric intake, because I could go all day long on one meal. Can't seem to do that anymore. So, I guess the solution is just to eat less at each meal and eat things that are lower in calories (like veggies, beans, etc.)

Never could understand one meal though... having a more grazing nature, smaller high quality portions more often through the day is so much better for metabolism and how we position stored fat (I think). Certainly check that but pretty sure about it. Has to do with our bodies thinking we are starving if we go through long periods without food so pur metabolism slows down and stores it. I was in the situation that for my stomach to work its best I HAD to do this and think it has helped keep my current weight pretty stable.

Would you believe sometimes I just got so busy and involved in doing something that I actually forgot to eat? LOL

YES. I believe it!! Have done that too, but it is really bad for our bodies and has even been shown to trigger diabetes. It can actually help bring it on. Due to natural imbalances for so long..... but here in the link below, is what I found since I am no expert but went by what I heard over time and what seemed logical. This is even a 2012 article, so it is current. Helps me brush up as well on what may be best. :)

http://www.symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/skipping-meals/

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.