Hormonal treatment for heart problems - Clonidine?

Has anyone ever tried to treat your heart condition, by treating the hormonal issues associated with peri-menopause or menstruation in general?

I have heard so many women who have “REAL” medical conditions that are triggered by hormone fluctuations. I have read on these forums people commenting on the time frame between ovulation and menstruation, is when they have symptoms triggered. And for those who are “officially” peri-menopausal, the “HELL” begins full time.

Before my ablation, I only had blackouts from VT during the 10 days before my menstruation. My sister only had epilepsy attacks when before her cycle. Both of us had doctors who would ignore this correlation.

RE: In regards to my current health complaint (chest pressure, burning, stabling, spasms and tachycardia)

My GP has recommended a possible trial of Clonidine, which is a most often used for high blood pressure and recently often used for “hot flushes”. As a backup she recommends Felodipine (CCB).

Could Clonidine be a better choice, than CCB?

I was just thinking if my peri-menopausal oestrogen drop is the cause of this, then maybe this should be my first choice to tackle.

My GP also recommended eating more phytoestrogens (flax seed, tofu etc). And also agrees with the Naturopaths “Alkaline Diet” suggestion.

Any thought or experiences on this matter?

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Tamra,

This article caught my eye:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120422134802.htm

Of course, Clonodine is the first generation drug ~ and Moxonodine is VERY VERY early and less known (this is an animal/rat study from Japan), but shows interesting potential application. I'd be tempted think your cardiologist might be VERY progressive...?

Best, Mary

One other thing...if/when I try a new med...I start with a fraction of the dose they give me. Like, 1/2 or 1/4. I am so sensitive to drugs, I'd be flat on the floor. For me, a little tends to go a long way - but each person is different. Fast metabolizer/slow metabolizer...hard to know.

Best, Mary

Thank you Mary, very interesting reading!
Unfortunately it was my GP who suggested Clonidine, not my cardiologist. I have just made a HUGE fuss and demanded a new cardiologist. I have an appointment with the new cardio… unfortunately is not until the 22 May. I plan on a comprehensive chat before I do a trial of meds. And my GP agrees with you to start with a low dose first. Many docs prefer to start high first.
I know from 2000 that my hormones play a HUGE role in my heart health, so it only makes sense to settle my hormones and maybe my heart would settle? Instead of treating my heart and ignoring the fact something else may be triggering the problem? I’m not a doctor so I don’t know, it is only what I feel.

Hi Tamra: Very interesting that you mention the hormone issue. I had been on HRT for many years prior to my OH surgery for repair of my mitral valve. My gyn became nervous after the various studies came out and took me off about a year prior to my surgery to see how my symptoms would do. Unfortunately, while I was recovering from the surgery, I was plagued with a variety of issues, including my heart racing at times at night (even with BP meds), SOB at night and the inability to sleep and heal. I mentioned this fact to my cardio and asked her whether my hormones were playing a part in my feeling so miserable and my heart's irregular heartbeat. My cardio agreed that it might be a factor and that definitely hormone levels affect heart function, but she did not know anything about hormones. So then I had to find a a new gyn to link the heart/hormone thing, which I did find. The gyn said that I was one of those 1% of women who really did need hormone therapy for all over well being, so I am on a very small dose patch of hormones and that has made a WORLD of difference to me. EVERYTHING in my body has calmed down!! My heartbeat has regulated, my sleep is more restful, I had developed restless leg (which I never had before) which is now gone, and the dreadful hot flashes are gone (I had to have a fan on me 24/7). In discussing hormone use risks with my doctors, they say it is a trade off that I need to make and getting the hormones thru the skin is better than orally. I had asked her about using neurontin or other serotonin meds, but she thought the hormone route was better for me since I do not have any coronary artery disease. I do think that womens hormones and heart function are very much linked. Good luck with finding what works for you. Its too bad that you have to run around from one doctor to another and no one can connect the dots. -- PG

BTW--I had tried the whole natural herb route and I spent a lot of money and I might as well have been drinking water.

Don't know how clonidine would compare to a CCB for spasm, but can assure you it has been around a long time and has a good safety record. The main side effects are dry mouth, possible dizziness, and drowsiness. Here in the states it is available in a patch that you change weekly. The side effects are somewhat diminished using that dosage form.

I have severe symptoms in the several days before my period and I'm starting to wonder if hormone therapy would be indicated. This stuff is so damn complicated.

Yes since I have gotten my estrogen under control through natural creams that my doctor gave (nothing synthetic) and eating right, I am having less and less palpitations.

I would go to a doctor who specializes in doing the natural hormone treatments. i have heard too much hype about synthetic hormones which will add to your list of problems as there is not good things that are said about these synthetic hormones.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.