Does anyone know more about a PFO

I am 41 and 4 months ago I had a mini stroke, caused by a PFO. I ended up with open heart surgery because the whole/flap in my heart was size of my thumb. It has been a crazy recovery, but now I am feeling somewhat pain free, my chest cracks, fainting spells, and remarkable memory loss. I am seeking medical attention but they look at me like I am making this up, does anyone have residual effects likes this after surgery?

2 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I sure feel for you. My young daughter had first open heart surgery for Marfan's valve replacement. Then she had a stroke. Then they found a PFO. She had to wait about 6 weeks for them to schedule surgery. She now doesn't have a lot of the symptoms that she had before all of this, BUT she has also a lot of memory loss and stroke related residuals.

There is panic also and a lot of emotional highs and lows that she has gone through. This is not good, but it is common after even just Open heart surgery, which my husband had 2 open hearts for Marfan's valve replacements also suffers from the panic and anxiety , so I know pretty close hand.

You need to find a doctor that will take you seriously and help you get over the trauma of the events you went through. There are more things than the physical in surgery and especially I think in heart surgeries. Your situation sounds very common to me. Good luck.

Hi and thanks for your information. Last week I actually ended back in the hospital for passing out 3x and the past 3 weeks...dizzy light headed, afterwards I would be confused, bruised, just plain not all there! They kept me in for 4 days, Im home and notice allot of the same symptoms. They have me scheduled for a tilt table test and an eeg which will hopefully help me out for answers. The only thing I know in the hospital was my extremely low blood pressure, not sure which is top/bottom but mine ran ranging from 40/70 to 59/80.....they said that could be allot to do with it..just scares me with my past medical surgery.
Thanks again for letting me vent, sure does help! :) Have a great day!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.