coreg

just started coreg for ejection fraction, feel so,tired , anyone have experience with tryng to get on and use to this medication. thanks

28 replies. Join the discussion

It is a beta blocker, all of us taking those I think experienced this at first. It gets better once you get used to it, if not, see your doc.

thanks any idea how long it takes , to feel human again,

It takes a couple of months, it is gradual, but it will turn around. Patience.

Took me a few months as well and at first, I could not believe how much it wiped me out. Hang in there - but as Three says, talk with your doc if it does not improve or ask about slowly adjusting to higher doses.

What dose are you on. I felt awful at first and the dr lowered my dose. After that I was fine and my heart rate and BP are fine. Do you check you BP. If it's falling too low that will make you feel horrible. It does take some getting use to but once i was on the right dosage I felt better than I had in years.

i am starting on 10 mg for 1 week, then 20 mg for 2 weeks ,then 625 after that. , this morning i woke up feeling anxious , an all i did was sleep , but i slept all night , which is not normal for me thanks , everyone any more help is apreciated

I was on coreg and had the same feeling. I was on the lowest dose then increased to the next dose. My body didn't tolerate it well at all. Dr lowered dose back down again and still didn't do well with my condition. It was a scary feeling when you feel like you are going to faint while driving. Coreg lowered my already low blood pressure and my heart rate kept dropping. Dr weaned me off and started a different beta blocker. Good luck to you and only you know your body and how you feel. If its not feeling better, maybe you need to change meds. I did and no longer have that faint feeling.

I am taking 12.5 millligrams of carvedilol and have been for about 5 years. Yes, it takes the starch out of me and yes, it keeps me awake with vivid thoughts agitation. Still, my heart kis functioning pretty well. I am taking Lunesta for sleep. Almost killed us with erratic behavior after taking ambien. I can tolerate exercise, even a rowing machine, but I get VERY sleepy tired afterward. I am inclined to continue with the medicine as is and just put up w. the side effects. I also take a diuretic and lisonopril and I have MANY erratic beats in the course of a day.

Felix, what do you mean about having many erratic beats in the course of a day? Is that a side effect of one of your meds? I am rather new to all of this too. I had 2 stents put in April 2nd of this year...so it hasn't even been 4 months. I am having some fluttering - erratic beats whatever you want to call it - in the evening just sitting in my chair watching TV. I am going to try to keep closer tabs, but it seems as if this happens on the days I have been on my treadmill. It doesn't happen while I am exercising tho just while relaxing and at rest.

I am on carvedilol (Coreg) 3.125 mg. 2 x a day. After my stents were put in, I was exhausted and winded for about 6 or 7 weeks. I hated it. But one day - Mother's Day weekend actually - I just felt better and could do things again. I know mine is a very low dosage but it took me 6 or 7 weeks to get used to having to take 4 prescriptions.

For me I am not sure if it was the Coreg or the combo of meds. they had me on with it. It was HORRIBLE! I thought I would die at any time. I had to breathe thru it, but kept with it and my EF is 45-57 depends who reads it which was 20-25%. I am now on Coreg and Spironolactone only. Just recently my insurance had changed and the pharmacy could no longer fill Coreg and had to give me the generic Carvedilol, I had to request the Coreg as I was having a very difficult time with the generic. Blood vessels were so sore in different parts thru out my body. It too was HORRIBLE for me!

i am enjoying all of your post, please keep them coming , help so much to know what to expect, my ef is 40 and went down from 60 , i am scared , been going to cardiac rehab , and i tolerate that real well,. but now just starting the coreg i am short of breathe and only did 3 minutes on tredmill today ,been doing 25, an rowing machine 20 , dont want to lose that as i think it is a good thing,{ excercise} , i did walk my little dog twice today , Brenda

Hi Brenda,
Coreg is an alpha and beta blocker, it's used for high blood pressure and heart failure also after a heart attack to improve your chances of survival. It works by blocking natural chemicals in your body such as epinephrine. It lower your heart rate and takes the strain off your heart. I have congestive heart failure following a massive heart attack and have been taking it for over a year and a half. You are slow and sluggish in the beginning but it gets better. What other medications are you taking?

Pchky

I am taking coreg for non ischecmic cardiomyopathy they think caused by a virus. I do feel better overall but still short of breath at times. My BP and heart rate are stable. Does Coreg help improve shortness of breath?

thanks all , but to pchyk, thanks for that information , i have been on line looking up all kinds of things, foods vitamins and comparing drugs, i dont take much just coreg and prilosec, and occasional valium , half of a 5 mg, and vitamins thanks for the help

There is a moderate drug interaction between Coreg and Valium, it can drop your pressure using the two together. A moderate drug interaction is considered avoid use unless medically necessary. With beta blockers and ace inhibitors, you really have to check everything for interaction, even over the counter before taking it,

Try moving very slowly when you get up and take deep breaths to calm yourself and the problem with breathing will ease. Sometime I hold my breath and the breathing problem goes away. I take 12.5mg x2 daily I had a heart attack and was left with congestive heart failure. What is your doctor treating you for?

As others have said...you will adapt.

I started 3.250 twice a day (doc thought I was silly with such a small dose). That lasted a couple of years.
Now, 6.125 twice a day (getting there). I feel it when it wears off.

First few weeks make you quite SOB, then it helps and that fatigue, SOB stops. BTW - Coreg has notations if you have asthma, so if you do...it might not be for you. Coreg is very heart protective, lowers rate, pressure against vessel walls, controls the heart pace, beating, etc. Keeps it low. I met a guy who had been on it for about 30 years.

Also, Brand name Coreg worked for me great - a generic that Walgreens had didn't (I had a weird bottom right lip quiver) and when I found MYLAN generic, it was good again. STrange but true.

Best to you ~ Mary

Thank you for your question and for all the great replies. I have had trouble with Carvedilol well. Not so much SOB, but low blood pressure, which of course makes me very tired. I'm on 6.12 BID and was encouraged to see that several of you have taken a while to increase doses as well. For me it's been almost 3 months. I think the thing that troubles me most is that my Nurse Practitioner (she works in cardiology and sees me biweekly for BP and med follow up. She's a life line for me) anyway .. she speaks of Coreg/Carvedilol as a "miracle drug" that can help my heart more than anything else. I failed the first 2 months and my EF decreased from 25 to 15. I have felt that if I can't increase the Coreg .. my chances for a long term recovery are poor. I'm also on Losarton(Cozaar) and lasix... some supplements including CoQ10.
I wish you the best, Arcaroenc. Here's to feeling "human" again soon! I think it's so different for each of us.

Hi! I can attest that taking valium with Coreg is not good (after one dose of 2.5 mg valium). My doc won't prescribe for me now at all. It initially took me about 4-5 months to titrate from 3.25 mg Coreg up to 50 mg coreg/day. With each dosage ingrease I felt really tired and sluggish for about 10 days. But by the time I reached 50 mg my EF had increased from 24% to low 70's (normal range). I'm now on 25 mg/day (for the past 6 years). I find exercise -- every day I walk 2-3 miles -- and staying well hydrated helps a lot! Take care, laurali

Hi Mary,
I have had asthma all my life and it is under control with singulair. The lower chambers of my heart don't work due to muscle damage and my EF at 40% is as good as it is going to get. The coreg works for me and I am allowed only one form of inhaler that does not interact with the coreg and that is Ventolin HFA. It is for rescue and as an intervention for exercise, where the problems come with asthma is the type of inhalers one would use.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.