morning stomach ache!

hello everyone!

I have been on wilzin (zinc) since end 2007 (+ trientine for 6 months in 2008) and I am happy to say that I am doing very well! It is under control so I just try to stay positive and enjoy life!

For a while now, I have been experiencing stomach aches especially in the morning after taking my firts wilzin! In the beginning it was like once every 3 weeks approximately but now its about 3 times a week! In the beginning a glass of juice would help but now it barely does!! Most of the time its only in the morning about half an hour before I can eat. Sometimes it stops when I can eat (one hour after taking it) but sometimes it continues untill early afternoon but there are also days when It lasts the whole day!!
My docter said perhaps it is better to take the first zinc after breakfast in stead of before! But I am so used to taking my medicin and eating at a certain hour and I'd rather not change that!! Only if there is no other option!
I was wondering if there is anyone else with the same problem? What do you do?

love,
Cas

21 replies. Join the discussion

Great Casca! I get the nausea too maybe I'll try it your new way!!

Kerri Ann

Casca,

Am I bad. I do take my galzin an hour before I eat it just that I've been doing it for so long that I don't notice it anymore.

JasonF

Excellent work to share information and support the WD group

Casca,

Hope the new routine works well for you. Keep us all posted!

Thanks Ann! I'll keep you posted ;)

Excellent news! I love it when I see this group work so well to share info and support. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the tests come out good.
Ann

hello everyone!
I have spoken with my docter and caterry we have decided to do as you suggested! I know take my first zinc two hours after breakfast, then the next (at least two) hours after lunch, and the last one before going to bed! I am happy to say that since i've done that the nausea and the pain have gone!! It has really helped a lot!
It makes sleeping in possible and my life easier! :)
On the 16th of april ill have my blood and 24h urine tested and hope that everything continues ok!!

thank you all for your replies!
love, casca

keep in mind that Gluzin and Galzin are not the same medicine. Both contain Zinc, but are different preparations. It has been reported that most people tolerate Gluzin better than other Zn medicines. My experience is that the nausea (and heartburn) subsided after about 3 months, that is why I was actually surprised that the nausea had returned for casca :-(

I try galzin for awhile the lunchmeat didn't help me with the nasuate feeling that i had.

I've had the same problem of nausea with Gluzin (Zinc). I do take it differently than most of you. I take 100 mg once a day, before I go to bed (two hours after my last meal). In the beginning, when I was having the worst nausea my doctor recommended to take antacid or acid reducing tablets that melt in your mouth rather than chewable or pills that may interfere with the Zn. They are hard to find, but I got some relief. I also found relief by chewing mint gum when I had nausea. I am not sure if it is the mint or the chewing that takes my mind out of the nausea, but it works.

Jim,

Sorry I confused you. You are correct that a little protein, like lunchmeat or a small piece of cheese, can be taken with zinc to help with nausea. Protein does not inhibit absorption of zinc like other foods do. I have trouble with nausea with the zinc dose first thing in the morning, and taking it with lunchmeat doesn't usually help me. I do have luck with Ann's method of getting up to take the zinc and going back to bed for an hour or so. Gluzin also causes a lot less stomach problems than Galzin (Wilzin).

I am on Gluzin and fortunately, I do not experience any stomach upset. I was also told to try and take it on an empty stomach for best adsorptions. I read that some food may decrease the effect of the Zinc. There's some good information on Gluzin at www.gluzin.com

I read your reply Catterry again And see you wrote Jason . I thought you it said Jim

o well

take care
Jim

hi ,my doctor did not tell me this, I dont take zinc, so i'm speaking blind only from what I have read, that 1 piece of lunch meat comes from Dr. Brewer book.
it just make sences to me to take zine before eating. sences coating the lower intestines to block the copper from going into the body is zinc main job . my understanding it goes right into your stool then it also a chelator but not like the other drugs.

http://www.aasld.org/practiceguidelines/Documents/Bookmarked%20Practice%20G uidelines/Diagnosis%20and%20Treatment%20of%20Wilson%20Disease.pdf
If you go down to treatment on the left side here you can read about zinc. here is some of what it says

Zinc induces enterocyte metallothionein,
a cysteine-rich protein that is an endogenous
chelator of metals. Metallothionein has greater affinity for
copper than for zinc and thus preferentially binds copper
present in the enterocyte and inhibits its entry into the
portal circulation. Once bound, the copper is not absorbed
but is lost into the fecal contents as enterocytes are
shed in normal turnover.183 Because copper also enters
the gastrointestinal tract from saliva and gastric secretions,
zinc treatment can generate a negative balance for
copper and thereby remove stored copper.184 Zinc may
also act by inducing levels of hepatocellular metallotheionein

JIm

Jason,

Don't know why your doctor told you that. Zinc works best when taken away from food -- at least one hour before eating or two hours after eating.

According to everything I've read and heard, it's fine to take the zinc after eating as long as you wait for an hour. It does seem like that might work the best. I know what you mean about wanting to keep taking it first thing -- that's what I do even though it irritates my stomach a little bit. Strangely, if I exercise it seems to irritate it less, although these days in practice what I usually do is take it early and then go back to sleep for an hour.

What has helped the most with stomach aches was to switch from Galzin to Gluzin, which is available from Extreme V at http://www.extremev.com/zinc50mg.html . If you go to the WDA website you can get a code that gives you a discount. Even without the discount, Gluzin is a lot cheaper than Galzin.

So you might ask your doctor about trying Gluzin or Galzin, since each person seems to react differently to each zinc compound.

All the best,

Ann

hi, or maybe a piece of lunch meat when you take zinc. I can't see taking the zinc after eating. when the main job of zinc is to coat the lower intestines so copper wont go into the body.

Jim

I'm on a number of different medications, some that require my stomach being full when I take them. I talked with my doctor about taking the zinc perhaps separtly but he told me it would be fine if I took with my other meds. I'm on 150 mg a day. 50 when i wake about breakfast time. 50 about dinner time (5pm). And 50 right before bed.

Casca,

It might help if you changed your zinc schedule to take your first zinc two hours after breakfast, your second one two hours after lunch, and your last one before bed, at least two hours after supper.

HI Jason,

I am not on two meds! I was only for 6 months and it helped me a lot!! Now I only take zinc!
I think you take it another way then I do!
When i wake up I take my first zinc and then after an hour I eat!
Then, two hours after eating breakfast I take my second zinc and have lunch an hour later!
Then after another two hours I take my final zinc of the day!

How do you take your zinc?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Wilson Disease Association

Help the Wilson Disease Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Wilson Disease Association

Discussion topics

Community leaders