21yr old male enlarged prostate

Hi, this account is my wifes account which she used to get through our nicu experience. I'm using it now because I'm afraid I have prostate cancer. Anyway I've had symptoms for years but I guess I was embarrassed or afraid to say anything. To be honest I've had symptoms for as long as I can remember (early teens.) I have difficulty starting peeing and emptying my bladder completely. Also I've been getting some burning pain at the tip of my penis lately and twice in the last couple months has it been really painful. I always feel pressure in my floor muscles and soreness in my hip and lower back. I finally mustered the courage to get check yesterday and my dr said my prostate is as big as a middle aged mans and referred me to a urologist. I just got my psa blood test done as well as a urine test, and now I have to wait a month to see the urologist. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like this or other possibile diagnosis. I will update when I get more info, take care!

9 replies. Join the discussion

I am not a physician, therefore I am not an expert.
It sounds like it may be acute/chronic prostatitis. Prostatitis is the most common cause of urinary tract infections in young men. Prostate cancer is unlikely. However, young men will sometimes get an inflammation of the gland due to a bacteria or other cause (the prostate may get inflammed without infection...with the cause unknown). Often the treatment is antibiotics. The inflammation of the prostate will cause burning on urination, lower back pain and the other symptoms you describe. Your urologist will be able to give you a definitive diagnosis. I was diagnosed with chronic prostatits at 19 and remember how it frightened me. If it is prostatitis, certain foods and substances may make it more tender (ex. coffee/tea, caffeinated beverages, spicy food, etc). I think you will be ok and try not to worry.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply! The only thing that makes me think it's not infection is because of how long I've had symptoms for, did you have symptoms for years as well?? Thanks for the reassurance

At 21 you would be the youngest man on record to have prostate cancer. Go to a urologist and have it checked out. Prostititis can go on for many years or you could have some other type of urinary issues that a urologist shoud be able to treat.

The sad thing is why I didn't hear this type of encouragement from my doctor. After i left that office I felt like I had a 50/50 chance cancer or bph. She didn't even mention prostatitis. Thanks for the reassurance I feel like an idiot now for getting so worried.

What you describe is classic chronic prostatitis. At 21, your chances of it being prostate cancer are next to ZERO!

if you want to be proactive, ask your GP to give you a 10-14 day course of CIPRO whilst you are waiting for the urology appointment. cipro is an antibiotic often used to quell any infection in the prostate/urinary tract - it is pretty benign with very few side effects should not bother you at all whilst offering good upside.

rd

I'm not a doc; I would suspect prostatitis. Since the gland is enlarged, don't be surprised if the psa is elevated. This would not necessarily mean pc. I would retake psa after some treatment for prostatitis, if that is what is diagnosed.
Good luck.

My problem is I don't really like this doctor. I don't have an actual doctor I just went into a walk in clinic. I wish I had more information because everything I'm going by is on the Internet. At the end of the day I keep coming down to the fact that my doctor wasn't as optimistic. I'm working on finding a good gp hopefully I won't have to repeat the exam. Not fun lol

I was in the hospital corp when i was in the navy. It was not too uncommon for men your age to come in with these symptoms. A round of antibiotic usually did the trick. It is not the end of the world. Breathe, have a Merry Christmas, and see a urologist.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Us TOO International

Help Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network

Discussion topics

Us TOO Education Tools & Resources

Get Involved with Us TOO

Community leaders