urine sample from a 1 year old

We are in the process of getting a diagnosis for our 1 year old son. They want us to take him for blood work and a urinalysis. The blood work is no big deal, but how do you get a urine sample from a baby in diapers? We were given a list of tests, how much urine we needed for each and urine collection bags and bottles. One of the test requires a first morning urine sample. I tried to wake him this morning and put the bag in his diaper, but they constantly fall off or the urine leaks out into the diaper. I don't know how the heck this is going to work. Has anyone had the urine collected any other way?

5 replies. Join the discussion

I did it with my son one time when he was 18 months old... It's complicated. after 3 daya of trying, I did provide a small amount of urine and it was enough for testing. Keep trying!! Good luck!

I have to check my lil girls ketons twice a day. I put cotton in her diaper, when diaper is full I then squeeze the urine out of the cotton to the stick. Maybe this might work for you too!

the hospital gave us this collecting kit that we had to tape to her and then put the diaper on, but I don't know how that would work with a boy...it was hard to get off her skin.

Gross...but def sounds effective.....I might just try this. Thanks!

Hi there, the hospital gave us also a collecting kit too and tape it also on the skin. It worked well for our son. They said it was easier for a boy to collect it this way because you can tape around, if you know what i mean. Good luck with it!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ULF

Help the United Leukodystrophy Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the United Leukodystrophy Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders