Lost my job today

Well, my Technical Recruiting contract of 5 months will be ending a week from tomorrow since I can not focus enough to work full-time. They usually keep people for 1-3 years on contract and I'm considering this just to be a little hiccup. Ever since needing time off for TT surgery on 7/27, I haven't been myself. Unfortunately, I cannot collect unemployment since I work for myself on a 1099 basis. The good news is they may rehire me in a few months once I have my brain back and I'm able to put in 40 hours. My boss said she may try to keep me on for 10 hours per week in the interim and I can continue to work from home, so I'm leaving on a good note and it IS only a contract.
Next Wednesday is visit with Radiology Oncologist so I should be going off meds and on a LID diet to prepare for RAI real soon. I'm grateful I own my own Placement business and will try to do a few deals on my own and with Partners (on my own schedule) in the next few months to pay bills including expensive COBRA.

There's ALWAYS a positive side to everything that happens! :-)
In and out of a stupor from all of this!
Sharonah

13 replies. Join the discussion

I am sorry to hear about your job. It sucks to know that without thyroid cancer you might (maybe) have been kept on. That I'm wishing you good luck doesn't even begin to describe how much I'm hoping things get better.

Thoughts and prayers

Things always work the way they do for a reason. Hoping that things work on a positive note for you. Part of the healing process from all this is maintaining a positive attitude. Losing your job isn't a positive thing, but you do have a positive outlook on the future.

They DEF would have kept me on - they gave me a notice, they're giving me a great recommendation, they're trying to get me to stay on part-time (if possible) and want me to come back full-time as soon as I can. I may even get to work on a few difficult to fill reqs on a contingency basis for $5-figure fees for them while I'm recouping. This is far more than one can ask for a Contract position. These guys have been great to me and my boss is a sweetheart, so I will definintely consider going back.
Thanks sooooooooooooo much for the well wishes; I truly appreciate it. As I've always said "when everything sucks, it can only get better". LOL
Still smiling,
Sharonah

Thanks Kathy,
I truly do have a positive attitude. It could be so much worse. I am a workaholic and am truly reliable, so it's hard for someone like me to lose my brain. I'm used to delivering on what I say I will deliver and working 50-70+ hours per week. Feel like the scarecrow on the Wizard of Oz. If I only had a brain - do, do, do to do to doo. Ha Ha!
Onto the next adventure of LID diet and first RAI treatment soon - I'm grateful for every day. It will be easier not to have to work full-time while going through this, so it was meant to be. Financially it will be the tough for me & hubby, but we'll figure it out.
Thanks again for your kind words,
Sharonah

(((hugs))) sounds like you have a positive prospect with this company.....fingers eyes and toes crossed, along with prayers and positive thoughts heading your way.

Thanks so much Sgeray!
Hugs to you, as well!
Sharonah

It sounds like a blessing in disguise. If you are a workaholic then sometimes the cards are dealt so you have to take off time to get well. You sound positive keep it up!

Yes DrTaylor22 - I am a regular freight train, so it's good someone put me down. :-D
Once I finish one more week on this contract, it will be perfect timing as I should be starting my LID and going off Meds at the same time. I am positive. It's been 3 weeks today since TT, I feel good, I have next-to-no scar and I'm ready to sock this thing in the kisser! Bring on the RAI so I can get past it and back to myself.
Onwards and upwards! Still smiling.
Sharonah

Hey, that is what I say onwards and upwards...a new england thing maybe???

I was off of work for 3 months after TT 5/10/11 and then returned part time 4 hrs a day for the next 3 months. Going back to working Full time 12/1/11 its been a long haul, some days by 3 pm im in such a brain fog i have trouble communicating with patients. But i push myself to continue. What bothers me the most is the younger women I work with call in sick for the dumbest reasons, I have a headache, or cramps...........I have thyroid cancer and still go in every day not feeling 100%

Well, it's been 3 weeks today and I got my contract job back! Yippee! They've hired my part-time and I work from home, so if I'm up for it, I can work more.
This will really help pay for the steep medical bills and insurance premiums. They're ok with me taking a week and a half off for RAI and another week for vacation in mid-October.

Yay! Thanks for the thoughts - thinking and praying for all of you too!
Sharonah

Awesome news, go get em!!!

Thanks sgeray! :-D

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders