Anyone have joint pain?

I am so sore. I had my TT on 11/11 and RAI 1/12. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago but nothing really felt that bad, so I took no meds. Now everything hurts. I ended up in the ER because my knee swelled up like a balloon. Ended up being fluid, they called it a bakers cyst. I feel like an old lady. Stairs are so hard. I am off to the orthopedic in two weeks. Just curious if I am alone?

22 replies. Join the discussion

They tried to tell me I was getting lupus or had fibromyalgia but it turned out to be a food allergy. This was prior to my TT but I am having problems with bone and joint pain since my last reduction in levothroixide, so I think I am too low. I would never have thought of a food allergy as being something that could cause such pain, I even had inflammation indicators in my blood as well as asthma. I had cysts in may of my joints (even in my fingers) and had days where I had a hard time walking. When I eliminated the allergen, after a trip to an urgent care for a full body rash, it took two weeks for it to start resolving itself, I had energy and felt great for about three years. Actually, I have not had to use any asthma medication since removing the allergen from my life. If you have introduced a new medication, vitamin, or changed the way you eat you might have a food sensitivity or be developing an allergy.

hmm, never thought of that. the only new things are calcium, vitamin d, and zanaflex for the pain.

Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I don't think Calcium or Vitamin D would be related, either.

I'm sorry you've gone through this. It sounds awful. Hang in there, and I hope the orthopedist will have some insight and help for you.

It can be challenging to sort out what is related to ThyCa and RAI and what is not.

my whole body has a dull ache.I explained this to my cousin who went through the same procedure & she said she had no pain at all.I called my doc to tell her & she told me to take the vicoden I had left after the TT & help if it doesn't I have to see her on Wed.Good luck!

Lots of join and muscle aches. My endo keeps telling me it takes a year or longer to feel better, I am seeing someone else next month

I've been having joint aches and pains for a while now. Never connected it to ThyCa, but maybe it is related? Nothing terrible, but just a general achiness. And I also recently developed this weird cyst on the inside of my wrist -- orthopedic doctor called it a Bible Bump and said it's harmless. I wonder if this could be in any way caused by my Synthroid dosage? I've been taking Synthroid wrong for a long time -- didn't realize it was so sensitive to temperatures! Also I got lazy, after having had my thyroid removed in December 2005 -- just a little too forgetful that I was dealing with thyroid cancer. Once I realized that I was doing myself no favors by taking my medicine wrong, I became vigilant about taking it on an empty stomach and not washing it down with coffee -- I've been extra careful for about the past three months about this. Today, I am going to my endo to have my blood drawn to check my levels. I think my dosage is probably way too high at 200. Could this cause achiness and weird Bible Bumps? Any thoughts?

Whenever I am hypo my joints ache really bad, especially my hips, knees and ankles.

I have been having arthritis type in my hands and now I'm having problems with the sciatic nerve in my hip and is so painful. I don't know if it is related to thyroid meds or not, anybody having this pain in these areas? I went to a Chiropracter yesterday as a last resort and now sitting on an ice pack, I sure hope this helps I have been so miserable with this for about 2 months.

I have been having joint pain starting in Oct. It varies as to what joint. Fingers, hips, shoulders, hands, ankles, even elbows. I had double knee replacements in 2010, so I do not have knee pain very often any more. Maybe once every 3-6 months. I went to the arthritis dr. on 12-30-12. I was negative for rhematoid arthritis. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis at the appointment based on thyroid antibodies tests ran earlier in the month by another dr. My Sed rate was 35. He chalked up the muscle and joint pain to my thyroid issues. The dr. who ordered the thyroid antibodies test didn't understand why the arthritis dr. didn't test for autoimmune diseases. So he sent me for a thyroid ultrasound around the same time he sent me for an autoimmune panel. The ultra sound led to biopsy and neck ct. I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma the same day I got the autoimmune panel back showing I had 3 markers that indicates SLE (Lupus), 2/2/12. So I am waiting to see the arthritis dr. again. He said to wait till I had the thyroid cancer taken care of. Not sure what is thyroid related and what is not.

yep i always have lots of pain achey all over and sometimes i even feel feverish but no fever its like i always have the flu the stress of all this can cause fibromyaliga look up thyroid cancer and fibromyalga

I have hips, knees, feet and hands. My hands seem to be the worst. I had pain after my first surgery when I was 14 and now I have double since my TT in Nov 2010. The docs say no relation but I find this hard to believe!

My knees will ache for no reason just sitting at my desk at work - not sure how to figure it out dic says its unrelated as well as my weight gain, my swelling in my ankles, face puffiness in the mornings, low temps 96.6 daily etc... My main problem with all this is I never had any problems like this prior to ThyCa

Well the rheumatologist says no lupus but def fibromyalgia. He said he sees this a lot from TT patients and also told me the endo's don't seem to see the connection. He believes there is one. He did tell me that most were predispositioned to the fibro previous to the TT but the stress of the surgery and on the body post TT is what makes it rear its ugly head. He put me on Savella and told me he sees good results with this drug versus cymbalta for pain. I also take zanaflex since my surgery, the hyper extension of my neck caused unbearable neck and shoulder pain post TT. As for my knees, he referred me out to the ortho just to be sure it wasn't something else but also suspects it is all related to synthroid and post TT symtoms. Just thought I would share my results.

I am a fibro (FMS) patient - before, during and after thyca. I'm interested in your rheumatologist's connection. I'm not the least bit surprised, but I will bring it up at my next appointment with my rheumatologist (who pooh-poohs everything). I hope the Zanaflex helps you. It helped me for a while. The statistics with Savella are good. I hope it helps you!

I have the same thing. My fingers hurt all the time. Arthur is present, and my hips hurt when it is going to rain or snow. Now my left thigh is burning. I have low back pain as well. I am 57. Doctors says my body is breaking down. I need to exercise. Yeah ok. How do you exercise when you hurt. ? I am on Synthroid 100 mg. And lots of vitamins. I blame it all on Thyca.

I think that they use this fibromyalgia when they do not know what is wrong. So many women are being told they have this but still the symptoms are not going away. In the last 3 weeks I know of 7 women who have been told that they have this. Is it possible that most women will get this?????

I also do not have any of my symptoms with joint pain until I had thyca. When I had 1/2 removed 20 years ago I did not have these pains.

The symptoms don't go away with FMS because there is no cure. Treatment is hit or miss and requires lots of trials of drugs. I gave up the guinea pig thing. No more side effects, thank you. The only thing that helped me consistently was arthritis class in the pool at the gym.

I believe you that you were fine until thyca. FMS is usually precipitated by a major illness or injury. Thyca sure qualifies.

Thanks Cabro, I have been back and forth to the doctors since March 2011 after my RAI and no doctor has ever mentioned FMS to me before. I will admit I have very little info on it. My mother who is a diabetic they say has it, well depending on what doctor she sees. One says yes and two others say no. I do have an appointment in a few days with a new endo, I hope this will help to clear up some issues. I have had thyroid issues for over twenty years and this will be my first time in seeing an endo, not for the lack of me asking! Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DITTO to all these postings!!! After my voice was affected by surgery, I still told myself at least I can still play the piano and organ but then my thumbs have been extremely painful. Lots of problems with strength in my legs and more recently, experiencing a "glitch" in my right hip.

Today is the first day on LID so I'm wondering how the diet will affect my body. Gee, I might even feel better!!! Can't get too much worse at this point.

It's good to know that I'm not alone. I wake up in the middle of the night because of (generalized) muscle and joint pain. I first felt this degree of pain when I was put on Cytomel, before total withdrawal from thyroid meds, for my RAI treatment (Thyrogen was not available). I was treated in Oct. 2011. Since then, I've been under a lot of stress due to family health issues - and my own. In Jan., my oncologist 'doubled' the dosage of Synthroid to 0.2 mg (I've always been sensitive to drugs and dosage increases). And I'm still in pain! My family doctor - also rheumatologist - has talked to my oncologist, who says that my THS and and T4 levels are right where he wants them to be. He has advised me to see my gynecologist to be put on Estrogen - I'm also menopausal. The problem is that if I take Estrogen I'll have to undergo a hysterectomy 'cause the (huge) fybroid I have will grow instead of shrinking (I've been avoiding a hysterectomy for many years). I'm between the wall and a hard place. A friend of mine has had a TT and suffered from pain until they found the right dosage of meds - her doctor (in Italy) openly acknowledged the relationship between the two. I do believe that my pain may be related to changes/fluctuations in thyroid hormone levels. Since we need to be kept on certain THS and T4 levels, doctors may tend to look at the "cost-benefit" and conclude that pain is better than cancer. It may well be the case, but living in pain means "not living well." Does anyone know of studies or any "hard evidence" of the relationship between pain and THS/T4 levels?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders