Why can't I sweat?

** Originally posted by ericcc123 **

I have P that covers 15 - 20% of my body. Anyways I'm having this problem where I don't sweat. I drink plenty of water and eat pretty healthy and I don't know what the problem could be. Now before I go see a doctor about it anyone have any idea what this could be?

I did a little research and I'm thinking I may have Miliaria too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria the sensation I get is stinging needles sensation and itchy.

11 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by stametst **

I have P that covers 15 - 20% of my body. Anyways I'm having this problem where I don't sweat. I drink plenty of water and eat pretty healthy and I don't know what the problem could be. Now before I go see a doctor about it anyone have any idea what this could be?

I did a little research and I'm thinking I may have Miliaria too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria the sensation I get is stinging needles sensation and itchy.

Have you been to the dermatologist? What medicines are you on? Your article is quite interesting and there are many things this could be. You might want to make a list of questions to take with you on your doctor's visit. I usually do that because sometimes I forget what I really need to ask.

I am sorry I could not be more help.

Have you been to the dermatologist? What medicines are you on? Your article is quite interesting and there are many things this could be. You might want to make a list of questions to take with you on your doctor's visit. I usually do that because sometimes I forget what I really need to ask.

I am sorry I could not be more help.

I am taking Embrel, Luxiq, and Olux. This hasn't been recent or anything I just never really cared and thought it was part of my P and sucked it up. Our Airconditioner decided to break and it is extremely hot and I itching so bad and felt like Bees were stinging me all over. I had to run into the shower and put the cold water on. While it's so hot in this appartment I'm not sweating at all and this is driving me crazy. Also everytime I set up an appointment to see my Derm it takes a couple months so I'd like to know if there is anything to help stop this.

** Originally posted by khela718 **

I have the same sensation , however I do sweat not just that moment I can sweat if I wanted to but i get the same stinging sensation like im in a bed of needles from my head to my toe. I didnt bother trying to figure out what it is I just ignored it and thought it was a part of having P

** Originally posted by Resist **

I'm having this problem where I don't sweat. I drink plenty of water and eat pretty healthy and I don't know what the problem could be.

Wish I had your problem. I seem to sweat at the worst times and wish I didn't.

Wish I had your problem. I seem to sweat at the worst times and wish I didn't.

No you don't want that. I'll play basket ball for about 10 minutes soon after I'll start to get really dizzy and temporarily lose my eye site and hearing and inability to walk. It is the most uncomfortable thing to have and I hate it.

** Originally posted by Resist **

I agree with ouchyk, you have more than an issue of not sweating. Temporary lose of your vision and hearing is serious stuff, so a doctor right away!

** Originally posted by NL **

I have a problem of not sweating when I work out but I don't lose my balance or vision or anything. My face turns bright red which is great when I work out on a lunch hour!
You should see a doctor with the other things you mentioned. Keep us posted.

** Originally posted by DEBAK **

NOT SWEATING CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS SO I AGREE TO SEE A DR RIGHT AWAY. ALSO KEEP A LOG OF WHAT YOUR TEMPERATURE IS BOTH AT TIMES WHEN YOU DONT EXPECT TO BE SWEATING AND AT TIMES WHEN YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD BE SWEATING AND MAKE NOTE OF THE "CIRCUMSTANCES" WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR TEMP. THIS WILL BE HELPFUL INFO FOR THE DR. YOUR CORE TEMP CAN GET TOO HIGH AND CAUSE SEROIUS PROBLEMS IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SWEAT WHICH IS THE BODY'S WAY OF COOLING ITSELF. IF YOUR TEMP IS HIGH PUT ICE PACKS IN THE ARMPIT, GROIN AND BACK OF NECK TO COOL DOWN. DONT WANT YOU TO HAVE A HEAT STROKE!

** Originally posted by lomie03 **

I don't think it's your P that's making you not sweat. I sweat all day everyday. I get that stingy, bees all over my body sensation most of the time when I get angry, emotional, or when I work out. And I work out daily (military will do that for you). So I try to go through life like a robot and not get mad or emotional. Sucks but what else can you do, when everytime you get angry or embarrissed you start to freak out cause you itch from head to toe. I hate it. Worst feeling ever that's for sure.

Go see a doc about your no sweating thing. Sweating is the way your body cools itself off so that way you don't over heat. And if you're playing basketball for ten minutes and don't sweat then I'm guessing your body is over heating and that's causing the temporary loss of vision and hearing. In other words your body is shutting down because it's overheated and shuts down all none essential body parts to cool back down before turning them all back on. I know your thinking my sight and hearing, not essential?!? lol. But I'm talking about your heart and brain being the most essential. I'm not a doctor, this is just my guess. Good luck with everything.

** Originally posted by spotcheck **

First I’d like to say that for whatever reason, when I used to be able to jog 4-5 times a week (for me) my p was totally under control… (my derms have said stress,) I don’t know, only know about my own experiences.
So, (I guess) I am a sweaty guy… no idea about all this ‘leaky bowel’ syndrome, but it has been this way for me. I had an accident where I severed some of the nerves in my low back. I had constant burning whenever I was standing up for over 2 years. (Saw so many neurologists you can’t count them on both hands.) a MD from the Mayo Clinic in WI who now only does evaluations, saw me in Boston after a 6 month wait. He said I would eventually get better, and he was correct, I am now at probably 98%. Some days it’s less or more. However, my p. became totally out of control for me. Sometime bad, sometime OK. I personally think the running and sweating a lot helped in ‘some way’ I can’t fathom.

In conclusion, as I can’t really jog, or ride a bike, or ski anymore I started to realize I have no control of my p. (this could also relate to age poss. As I am now 60…) no idea.

But this is the interesting part… my derm at Mass General felt a lot of my breakouts were because of folliculitis; so he gave me a medication to stop me from sweating as much which I take every night… (No pblms when running 20 miles a week – pblms when I cannot sweat as I did when running.) I have mentioned this to my derms but they pass this off as ‘stress’ management, basically.

I don’t know if I buy that… maybe, maybe not. At any rate I have a prescription for doxacycline which I can take 2-3 times a year if I have an eruption. I would really appreciate knowing if this has happened to anyone else.

And with regard to your post, when I don’t sweat but I have 10-20% p coverage, I have a lot of chills… cannot explain it, I am just either too hot or too cold unless it’s 60 to say 75 degrees.

** Originally posted by odin7 **

Info:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anhidrosis/DS01050
"Skin disorders. Many diseases that irritate or inflame the skin also affect the sweat glands. Anhidrosis can occur with a number of skin disorders, including psoriasis; exfoliative dermatitis, which is marked by severe skin scaling; heat rash; scleroderma, which causes hard, tight skin; and ichthyosis — extremely dry, scaly skin."
However, I agree especially with the symptoms you get on exercising, you should see a doc right away, since "In the most severe cases, hallucinations, coma or death" can result. Also, are you taking any other meds such as an anti-depressant?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders