Why bother working out...

They say working out is beneficial to pa sufferers but how can that be if it causes more pain. On day 3 of elliptical and my knees hurt so badly I could cry. I want to workout and be healthier but I have to push myself ten times more to get motivated.

15 replies. Join the discussion

I used to think like that.Many people do exercise every day and don't realize it. If you have young children you run around looking after them.You don't have to go to gym to get a work out. I have started using wii keep fit and loving it.It is a gentle way of exercising depending on what you want to do and the best part is I can do it in my own home in front of the tv.I only do 30 minutes a day but feel so much better and sleep well.I do the step exercises just stepping up and down on the little step. Just got into the boxing and enjoying it too. walking slowly around the block is a good start I used to do that. With any form of arthritis it helps to use your muscles and stops them from getting worse and progressing but we don't feel like doing any form of exercise when in pain and shouldn't do any if in severe pain.Motivation is the key too and it helps to go walking with a friend.In winter I can walk around inside our local shopping centre when it is raining.Ask your doctor for exercises you can do or see a physical therapist as they can work out exercises you can do safely.I would check first with a medical person to see if it is ok to do exercises depending on your circumstances. I push myself to do them and feel better for it. Good luck.

Personally, it sounds foolhardy. I spent my whole life being foolhardy. This time around I decided not to be. It really makes a world of differance. I can't really speak to PA, but cardiovascular, respritory, musculature and bone density takes time to change. Even the heart attrophies and it takes months to rebuild capactiy. Heart rate will drop at a given intensity within 3-4 weeks, but that's just the start. The heart adapts faster than the rest of the body. I'm not that familar with PA, but I can't imagine inflamation of the joints due to stress injuries is going to help. You need to drop back to, at least, 2-3 days a week. Intervals likely would be a good idea. Maybe start with 1 minute high intensity, 2 minutes low intensity repeated 5-10 times with 5 minutes of warmup and cooldown at the start and end.

A few weeks or a couple of months isn't going to do jack. It's a lifestyle change, you have to keep it up to get the benefits. So you're talking years and doing the first 3-6 months right is no big deal. When it comes to what differance at the end of the first year doing the first 3-6 months right counts more than pushing yourself to excess. You don't get extra points for being particularly hardheaded, you lose points for that.

The catch is that the less you exercise, the worse you feel and not motivated to push on...so it could always be that way.

I believe that exercise is absolutely a benefit and can be meditative too. I put off activity for a while after I first got hit by PsA. It was really hard but at some point I said to hell with it and started biking and from that point on I improved and I've only had about three minor flares since. It could just be me but I did shape up - now I bike everyday to work and can't stand not getting that exercise. I'm rarely reminded that I have this condition at all.

Take it slow and only within your limits but try to improve every day. Hang in there.

I do the elliptical as running on pavement is pain that noone should experience. They say the elliptical is great for bad knees. I gave the arthritis and then I have a deformity making it worse. I may just dump the elliptical and go back to my Pilates. That seemed to be the easiest on my joints and was one hell of a work Out. I would love to stay motivated and work out for a year straight and then more. Unfortunately with all my responsibilities sometimes it's hard to keep up with taking care of me. I figure by the time I'm 50 I will have all the free time in the world to focus on me. Only 20 years from now. Thanks for the pep talk.

I am setting a goal right now to keep me motivated with working out. I would like to be in a bikini this summer. Even if it's the last day of summer. Then for fall and winter I will set a new goal. I know I can do it. I never thought I could give us soda for a week and it's been 3 months now. I know if i set my mind to it I will succeed.

I can't walk but a short time before back and knees hurt. But I have been working out in the pool walking back and fourth for 45 minutes switching to breast stoke for my shoulders. It had helped my knees the most I still can over do it. The nice part is that 45-60 minutes I'm really close to pain free. Next day I can feel I worked out. In therapy they had me jog on a under water treadmill that helped my knees then. This seems like more of us could be beneficial to lots of us. Chemical are not good for p so there is a trade off.

Water exercise is the best! I joined a pool near my home last year and felt better. Had a flare up though of P and stopped going (embarassed with skin). Now we are remodeling our house because I can no longer walk up stair sto bathroom/bedroom. Hoping to add pool too. Best of luck!

I have to agree about the water therapy, I stayed at a hotel not long ago and between the pool and hot tub I felt great! I hate the elliptical very much, it's evil lol. Bike riding is also very helpful, you just have to treat your body with care while building up your endurance. Good luck!

The ellipticl hurts me too ,even though it is suppose to be easy on the joints. It hurts my tendons. The best advice I have is to find something that you can do. I understand where you are at, wanting to get in shape, but dont keep setting yourself back with exercise that you already know hurts you. i need to take my own advice!! HA!! For real. I keep reinjuring myself!! Its kind of funny now that I am typing it!! Maybe just walk a little if you can. Best of luck to you!

What about Yoga? I'm thinking about starting Yoga.

Pilates is good too. I used to do it all the time felt great.

Be careful with pool exercise. The water takes a lot of pressure off of your joints, so if you are like me, you'll probably over-do it in the pool. Other than that, the pool simply is the best way to go. I used to be able to use Tony Little's Gazelle, but like some others mentioned, your tendons and ligaments will hurt regardless of whether your joints can handle the workout.

Take it easy in the pool and enjoy a light workout. It will do wonders for your mood, too.

Daf in the week I noticed that I can over do it so I set a time of 45 minutes and when toes hurt I swim hands hurt I walk.
And I take every third day off. And I feel much better and watch my sugars more and feel like I am improving my health. That is worth it's weight in gold. When I get out of the pool my lower back is in a lot of pain but it is only for a few minutes. And if I do not get a good night sleep because of cpap I can be sleepy the next day.

If only I could give up sodas I would be skinny.

It is so nice to know that, despite our medical condition and the depression that can come with it, we're all trying to maintain a normal life. I love this group of fine folks and am so glad that we have this website. Keep on keeping on . . .

Lilbudywizer I gave up soda and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. It's been 3 months and the only time I miss it is when I'm at the check out line at the grocery store. Drink lots of water add lemon it helps with the cravings. You can do anything you set your mind to.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders