Rice paper for food

I am gluten free for 2+ months now and I believe it has helped clear my Ps. (My allergies have also abated too.) So, while I am 100% happy with my results and plan on staying on the diet and am trending toward a vegan like lifestyle. An area that has bothered me to an extent is lunch. I really want to have a sandwich... so, I have been buying brown rice tortillas but they get sorta brittle and tend to break apart. I recently saw on TV a segment on using rice paper for making vegetarian rolls. Does anyone have any experience with these as I am really interested?

8 replies. Join the discussion

from wikipedia

Edible paper
Rice paperEdible rice paper is used for making fresh summer rolls (salad rolls) or fried spring rolls in Vietnamese cuisine, where the rice paper is called bánh tráng or bánh đa nem. Ingredients of the food rice paper include white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, and water. The tapioca powder makes the rice paper glutinous and smooth. It is usually sold dried in thin, crisp, translucent round sheets that are wrapped in cellophane. The sheets are dipped briefly in hot water to soften them, then wrapped around savory or sweet ingredients.

In the UK, edible paper is used in home baking of foods such as macaroons

GOOD CHOICE

I often have Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls for lunch.

They are easy to make, tasty, filling and very healthy.

And of course gluten-free.

You can use whatever ingredients suit you, I normally use:

Rice vermicelli or glass noodles
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh mint leaves
Fresh coriander leaves
Shredded lettuce leaves
Grated carrots
Shiitake mushrooms

And on rare occasions I have used mock meat (i.e.) vegan duck

You could also use quinoa, amaranth, toasted sesame seeds, chia seeds, beansprouts, chestnuts, etc.....WHATEVER SUITS and will wrap well.

And I often make a chilli or other dipping sauce to go with them

Have a look on the following blog for a great recipe - posted on 11th January 2010:

veggienumnum.com

YUM YUM YUM

Yes! I think rice paper is OK. I haven't quite sorted out what to avoid yet - but the diet is working for me as well after about two months. Corn tortillas should be OK. I'm not a fan of brown rice, but I'm at a point now where I can eat some fresh-baked bread occasionally or goat. But mainly, for me, it has been the avoidance of artificial substances, cheap meat and cow.

This is interesting....I just read this http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/anti-allergy-diet
I have always believed diet has something to do with the misfuction of the immune system. JMO
Sunny

I've used the rice paper quite often over the last 8 months or so. They have a bit of a funky unnatural odor to them, so I'm suspicious about the purity of their manufacture. Without egging and frying the simple wetting & rolling format produces a sort of rubbery wrap for whatever you roll into it. So I often try to roll some stuff with a bit of stiffness and crunch, like long slices of carrot, lettuce, or some other vegetables with crunch value.

The rice flour tortillas are more like bread than the rice paper. They're pricer, and yes, without the gluten there is a crumble factor.
I did also buy some rice flour bread at the health food store in the refridgerated section along with those rice flour tortillas. Small loaf, small slices, heavy consistency, but good. I think it is made with non-yeast leavening. It's pricey. You could probably experiment making your own pan bread with rice flour or some combination of rice, tapioca or organic corn flours. It would be a flat bread that you fry in a pan. I haven't personally experimented with that yet. I've also seen some gluten-free box mixes for bread in some grocery stores.

Opps forgot to mention:

As 2hourbath said.....you don't egg or fry them. And after wetting them and constructing them; they may seem a bit rubbery.

I like the texture but hubby hates it. So he has the same inside ingredients as me, but uses a sushi seaweed wrap instead of rice paper.

You can get raw (untoasted) wraps and toasted wraps. The flavour / texture differs on both. You can use rice in your sushi wraps, or just use veggies. Another great lunch anyway.

Wraps go really well with a wheat-free tamari / ginger / chilli / honey / dipping sauce.

Yum yum yum

Here is a good website recipe that comprises rice paper wraps and gluten-free:

fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/25/spring-rolls/

If vegan does not suit; just add some shredded cooked free-range organic chicken breast or some shrimp.

More gluten-free recipes here:

fatfreevegan.com/gluten-free/index.shtml

I am feeling ravished now!

For at least the last 42 years, I've eaten all the various dishes my asian wife makes with rice paper.
She's even make her own rice paper on occasion. Sweet rice is an ingredient in making rice paper (bánh tráng) so that it sticks together and forms that rubbery stretchy wrapable consistency. If you are worried about gluten, this is probably not what you want. sweet rice (also called sticky rice) is very high in gluten, so by extension, the rice paper would be too. On the other hand, rice gluten may affect people with gluten intolerance differently than wheat gluten. You'd have to look that up somewhere.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders