Psoriasis turned into depression...

After years of fighting psoriasis from head to toe without any real results, It has finally turned into depression...

12 replies. Join the discussion

sad to say, but it usually does.

It isn't easy being happy all the time when were covered in P.

especially now in the summer when most of us wanna feel free, go to the beach, etc..

Well that is perfectly understandable.

However, depression will get you nowhere fast (apart from down further), so I urge you to try and conqueror it.

Most people on here would urge you onto antidepressants; but I am anti-antidepressants and believe they are totally overprescribed. Even met a lady last week whose neighbors pet cat has been diagnosed with depression and has been put on Prozac. WTF!

There is also a lot of difference between a serious mental health issue that requires strong medication and feelings of depression from circumstances. But obviously medication is a very personal choice and ultimately you have to do what is best for you. Its your decision and no-one elses business.

I have two autoimmune diseases to cope with: psoriasis and inflammatory bowel disease. So I am well versed in feelings of depression in relation to my health. At one stage in the early years of IBD I was actually experiencing suicidal thoughts.

I am managing depression naturally. Nowadays I sometimes feel low or blue occasionally but I can shake that off very quickly and it is NOTHING like the days of old.

I use a nutritional based diet that has been proven to help sufferers overcome depression (it also cleared my psoriasis), along with supplements or Bach Flower Remedies if required, gratitude exercises and meditation.

If you are religious minded then perhaps reading something along the lines of “Battlefield of the Mind: Winning the Battle in Your Mind” by Joyce Meyer. It may be of assistance? I am not religious and have never read it, nor do I plan to. But it seems quite popular. Or maybe have a read of “You Can Heal Your Life” by Louise L. Hay. This book has helped thousands of people.

Whatever you do DON'T do nothing! It will only get worse over time - you need to nip it in the bud before things get out of hand.

It is perfectly OK to wallow in misery occasionally, as it is unhealthy to bottle things up. But you need to be vigilant that it does not take over your life 24/7.

The following web article will give you some additional ideas:

drfuhrman.com/library/natural_depression.aspx

Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D are both used in the treatment of psoriasis too; as well as managing depression.

Good luck

I would suggest you talk with your GP about your depression. A person who is depressed can hardly diagnose themselves but can realize they need help. Now is the time to take action before it gets worse. Good luck.

good advice, LPP.

My way of countering the depressive effects of this is by trying to learn more everyday. I fully accept PsA, but I never accept there is no cure / new natural alternatives out there to try out.

I know exactly how you feel...the other day I was watching one of those national commercials for a depression medication and I found myself really paying attention to it....thinking, gosh that sounds like me. I live on a tropical island, but there's terrible healthcare and only a visiting dermatologist is available. Ugh!

I have biochemical depression and have been taking antidepressant Paxil for 15 yrs....keeps me stable
w/ no side effects

"A possible relationship between intestinal structure and function in the pathogenesis of psoriasis has recently brought about considerable interest. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the intestinal permeability in psoriatic patients by comparing it with healthy controls. 15 psoriatic patients and 15 healthy volunteers entered the study. Intestinal permeability was evaluated using the 51Cr-labeled EDTA absorption test. The 24-h urine excretion of 51Cr-EDTA from psoriatic patients was 2.46 +/- 0.81%. These results differed significantly from controls (1.95 +/- 0.36%; P less than 0.05). The difference in intestinal permeability between psoriatic patients and controls could be due to alterations in the small intestinal epithelium of psoriatics." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1911568

"There is now evidence that major depression (MDD) is accompanied by an activation of the inflammatory response system (IRS) and that pro-inflammatory cytokines and lipopolysacharide (LPS) may induce depressive symptoms. The aim of the present study was to examine whether an increased gastrointestinal permeability with an increased translocation of LPS from gram negative bacteria may play a role in the pathophysiology of MDD. Toward this end, the present study examines the serum concentrations of IgM and IgA against LPS of the gram-negative enterobacteria, Hafnia Alvei, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Morganella Morganii, Pseudomonas Putida, Citrobacter Koseri, and Klebsielle Pneumoniae in MDD patients and normal controls. We found that the prevalences and median values for serum IgM and IgA against LPS of enterobacteria are significantly greater in patients with MDD than in normal volunteers. These differences are significant to the extent that a significant diagnostic performance is obtained, i.e. the area under the ROC curve is 90.1%. The symptom profiles of increased IgM and IgA levels are fatigue, autonomic and gastro-intestinal symptoms and a subjective feeling of infection. The results show that intestinal mucosal dysfunction characterized by an increased translocation of gram-negative bacteria (leaky gut) plays a role in the inflammatory pathophysiology of depression. It is suggested that the increased LPS translocation may mount an immune response and thus IRS activation in some patients with MDD and may induce specific "sickness behaviour" symptoms. It is suggested that patients with MDD should be checked for leaky gut by means of the IgM and IgA panel used in the present study and accordingly should be treated for leaky gut." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18283240

Increased IgA and IgM responses against gut commensals in chronic depression: Further evidence for increased bacterial translocation or leaky gut
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032712001371

Man...that leaky gut seems to be the cause for all that ails...it appears.

>The symptom profiles of increased IgM and IgA levels are fatigue, autonomic and gastro-intestinal symptoms and a subjective
>feeling of infection.

It's how i've felt the last 14 years. They need to stop with the stupid research on blocking chemicals (biological, and the billions of $$ this makes for pharmaceuticals ) , and concentrate on curing leaky gut.

already started on acidophilus pearls ..

bitter melon & chinese yams. where to buy ?

my weight is already pretty lean.

and will be trying to stick with many of these foods daily -

TOP 10 ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOODS
1. Wild Alaskan Salmon:
2. Kelp
3. Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
4. Cruciferous Vegetables: Broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale and cauliflower are all loaded with antioxidants.
5. Blueberries:
6. Turmeric:
7. Ginger:
8. Garlic:
9. Green Tea:
10. Sweet Potato:

I think you are spot on

Although getting deeply depressed over long term psoriasis is very understandable, I agree with the others: stay tough and battle on. If medications have failed you then study extensively on alternative approaches and develop a plan of attack. It might come to nothing, or you might start seeing improvement in the long term. At the very least you are likely to be healthier and gain a much better understanding of your body.

IMHO, only if your depression is seriously disabling you and/or you think there is something more to it (other than psoriasis getting you down) should you see your family physician. It seems the billions spent on medications for tackling depression only address the symptom, and folks probably stay on such drugs for far too long.

_Lazza

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders