Psoraisis and constipation

Today is my first day in this forum and this is my first post.
I have chronic constipation for the past 10 years and pretty bad psoraisis for the past two, now on about 10% of my body .
As per my dermatologist's advice I stared using clobetasol off and on for the past two years when my p was limited to one 2-inch spot (with scales) on the left leg. It would clear up in three/four days and come back after a month or so. Gradually, a similar spot began to erupt on my right leg which would also disappear/reappear in a month or so.
Recently about three weeks ago I developed red/scaly p spots, small to about 1/2 inch, on my legs, thighs, buttocks, hands, elbows and lower back; the two original spots on the legs have grown to about 4 inch, very dark in color.
I have also used fluocinonide for my scalp off and on. It does seem to help after three or four applications but the bumpy plaques come back after 15 to 20 days. After the recent flair up of p spots on my body, I am really scared of using any topical steroids anywhere on my body. It appears the desease reponds with vengence to these steroids.
I am very skeptical of using biological treatments which invariably have adverse impact on vital organs.
My dermatologist agrees and says I should try alternative approaches such as herbal stuff and oils and take long baths in hot water to soften the plaques and apply virgin coconut oil afterwards.
It calms down the p to some extent but I am concerned about what lies in the future.
I am a vegetarian and have severe/chronic constipation which I try to control/regulate by taking 2-tsp of psyllium husk every night after dinner.
I believe that my p is a result of my chronic constipated condition; it will be useful to know what other p sufferers have to say about this correlation.

23 replies. Join the discussion

I have very severe p, and I have never had constipation that was more than the occasional day or so. And I can state with the utmost certainty that your P is NOT caused by your constipation. It is an autoimmune disease. It is hard wired into your DNA. That said, whatever is causing your chronic constipation may be angering your immune system, making your P worse.
The biologics do not "invariably" cause organ damage. I have been using biologics since they were invented (literally), and with the exception of my P and PsA, I am completely healthy. I have years of blood tests and biopsies to prove it. While there are no doubt risks, there comes a time when the benefits out weigh those risks.
The rebound off steroids can be difficult. It sounds from your post that you are not consistently treating your skin. If you are not using the product of your choice consistently, of course the problem will come back. Never use something just until the spot goes away. That's akin to stopping antibiotics just cuz you feel better.
You should definitely poke around on the site to find some homeopathic recipes, if that is your treatment plan. There is a glycerol/witch hazel mix posted in several places. It also sounds like you need a better understanding of your disease. Please do more research to educate yourself properly about the realities of P. You are only 2 years in, so you have a lot to learn.

Hi laddoo, I think you're smart to be cautious about the steroid use. Many years ago, I used to use fluocinonide and clobetasol (not together, but for different areas of the body), and to this day I have some permanent stretch marks from the skin thinning. Has your doctor prescribed Dovonex for you yet? It's effective for many people, and doesn't have quite the side effects of steroids.

In the Complementary & Alternative discussions, you'll find a lot more information about natural topicals to try (like glycerin, witch hazel, salt baths, virgin coconut oil, etc.). As to your constipation issue, do you feel like you are drinking enough water? (I, for one, always forget to drink enough.... it's like I'm never thirsty, and then I end up with a headache at the end of the day from being dehydrated.) There are many of us who are trying various dietary modifications to see how it will affect our skin and bodies, hopefully for the better! Some of the dietary changes certainly would keep one 'regular'!

Many thanks, Mischif78, for your substantive comments.
So there goes my half baked theory thru the window.
You are absolutely right that I do not know enough about P.
It is depressing to realize that it is a hardwired condition.
Having said that I do know of at least two persons who have been able to cure their P using alternative approaches, maybe it is only temporary and would strike back.
I am considering submitting myself to one of the ongoing studies and hope for the best.

Why have you got chronic constipation? Do you know?

What do you eat and drink?

From the sound of it initially, it sounds like you mainly eat processed vegetarian packaged convenience foods / drinks?

Some medication can cause constipation, but this should only be short term.

Constipation for 10 years is dangerous; as IBS, IBD and colon cancer can manifest as a result.

laddoo, constipation is a very serious problem. Psyllium husks should be viewed as a measure to help with occasional constipation, not chronic constipation. You are corking up loads of undigested food and toxic fecal matter. No telling what this might be doing to your intestinal flora. Enemas/colonics might be helpful. However finding a good holistic health practitioner who can guide you with a dietary strategy for resolving this problem is a must.

As discussed in the alternatives forum, digestive wellness can play a critical part in controlling psoriasis. It has done wonders for me. Steroid creams are good, short term tactical treatments. However if abused you are asking for a world of hurt.

_Lazza

laddoo, Welcome... So you're vegetarian and constipated.... what's your b12 level? If you don't know, you might want to get it tested. B12 regulates our bowels. If you are taking a supplement already, make sure it isn't one you simply swallow. With the constipaption, you're probably not utilizing it. I have a very long story on this, but suffice to say, I was low, started the sublingual drops of methylcobalamin and most of my bowel issues improved.

be well...deb.

Hi deb-54,
Many thanks for your comments. For the past several years, every morning with breakfast I have been taking one Mega B-50, B-complex capsule from Puritan Pride which amongst other components contains 50 mcg of B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) which is supposedly 833% of B12's daily requirement. I will however get my B12 level tested.
Somehow, I believe wrongly or rightly that once my guts are clean, my P will be gone too eventhough it is an autoimmune desease but who's say that clean guts won't fix my autoimmune system.
Laddoo

Hi LittlePinkPuss,
Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
I wish I knew the reason for my constipation.
Mostly I eat home cooked fresh vegetables and legumes and avoid packaged stuff. I do enjoy taking two glasses of red wine in the evening.
I gave up eating meat and chicken 10 years ago because that makes my constipation even worse.
Other than B-complex, I take no medication.
Not only constipation for 10 years is dangerous but very uncomfortable – the only thing that helps me manage it is psyllium husk of which I take two spoons every night after dinner with two glasses of water.
The doctors are not able to help.
Laddoo

Its not a bad idea to investigate drug studies. I happen to have a lot of experience with them. I have been a guinea pig for almost 10 years now. As all existing treatments have ceased to work for me, these studies are the only chance I have for effective treatment. My drs are wonderful, and the drugs are amazing!

Hi JJ37,
Thank you for your remarks.
I will talk to my doctor about Dovonex.
I am currently using virgin coconut oil which seems to help at least for a few hours.
Taking two tsp of psyllium husk certainly help me but certainly not the point where one can feel completely relieved.
I am still trying to find a way out of my constipation which I believe would also help my autoimmune system that is causing the P.
I don’t know what to say when people assert that P is hard-wired in the DNA – I guess only God knows!
Laddoo

Hi yourhaelthy1,
Many thanks for your suggestion.
A friend has recommended that instead of the coffee I take 2 capsules of Reishi Mushroom which contain 1.2 grams of Ganoderma lucidem which is the same stuff ganocafe products contain.
Hopefully, this would help as it helped you.
I will be ever so thankful if it really would do the trick.
Laddoo

Hi lazza,
I agree with you 100%.
I have looked allover and talked to doctors about my constipation but so far the only thing that seems to help me to some degree is psyllium husk – I wish I could find an alternative to it.
Also, I fully believe that with constipation gone my P will also be much better.
In the mean while I guess I would keep searching for a better alternative.
Thanks.
Laddoo

I am trying to locate some such ongoing study in my area or closely within 100 miles or so – if you know of one I would really appreciate. I am located in Bethesda MD 20817 which is very close to Washington DC.

Hi Laddoo,

Yes reishi is one of the main components in the coffee. Im not sure about the brand that your using because I have never used it but ganoderma lucidium is a very powerful mushroom and can help with alot of ailments. I definitely hope it works for you because this ailment is so uncomfortable and can become very life threatening if not resolved. if the brand you are using is not as effective as you had hope please message me and i can direct you to a more potent brand. Thanks for the reply

I definitely hope it works for you because this ailment is so uncomfortable and can become very life threatening if not resolved. if the brand you are using is not as effective as you had hope please message me and i can direct you to a more potent brand.

I would hope that if this problem has gotten so bad that it is life threatening you would consult a doctor rather than waiting for a message from someone from a so called health forum.

@draftgirl I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that but I worked in an acute care hospital and I work side by side with my mom who ran a home health care agency, she was the main nurse and we went to see patients after patients who had seen doctors and their constipation was still not resolved. Some are sent home on really power medication just to sedate them, relieving them of the pain and preparing them to die so I was just giving an alternative, it may work for someone you never know. people can die from constipation because of the toxins that build up in your body and from complications because of that. just because you go to the doctor doesn't mean all your problems get solved.

Death from toxins from constipation, that's a new one on me. Probably a new one to science as well.

For real information please go here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/constipation/DS00063

Hi yourhealthy1,
Many thanks for your your response.
I have ordered mine from Swansons which has 1.2 gms of ganoderma lucidem in one dose of two capsules; I have no idea what that means.
I would certainly appreciate if you can share with me the other more powerful one you know.

Well apparently someone we all knew died of constipation:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/05/05/exclusive-elvis-presleys-do ctor-claims-died-embarrassing-case-chronic/

I agree that one is not likely to see "constipation" on a death certificate. But it doesn't take a genius to see that if one should be pooping out 5-10 ounces of fecal matter a day and instead does 5-10 ounces per week then a build up of fecal matter in the colon is bound to happen. People indeed develop enormously thick colons as a result; the fecal matter just doesn't disintegrate. Of course what complications result of having just a colon is a conversation for doctors to have, not us mere mortals. Yet we all have opinions. And in my opinion, prolonged constipation can be the springboard to a whole host of maladies. .... and yes, this maladies can lead to death.

_Lazza

Hi draftgirl and yourhealthy1,
Thanks for your comments.
I am a little perplexed by the direction this discussion has taken.
In my first post I speculated whether there was any correlation between my P and constipation.
From various comments I inferred I was more wrong than right.
In any case, my real concern is P; constipation, I have been managing fairly successfully with psyllium husk. By the way, Dr. Oz endorses its use ( 3 tbs a day) on a regular basis.
At this point I am looking for an ongoing P study which is recruiting in my extended neighborhood within 100 to 150 miles.
Would be ever so grateful if anyone can point me to one.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders