New Possibilty

After living just a little over a year thinking I have psoriasis and consitently night over night put on medications with no results and going through two derms. my new one thinks I may have dermatitis not psoriasis. I'm going for a biopsy thursday. I'm just wondering what is dermatitis and is it a chronic thing like psoriasis.

6 replies. Join the discussion

There are several different types of dermatitis. The different kinds usually have in common an allergic reaction to specific allergens. The term may describe eczema, which is also called dermatitis eczema and eczematous dermatitis. An eczema diagnosis often implies atopic dermatitis (which is very common in children and teenagers) but, without proper context, may refer to any kind of dermatitis.[1]
In some languages, dermatitis and eczema are synonyms, while in other languages dermatitis implies an acute condition and eczema a chronic one.[2] The two conditions are often classified together.

Read more here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis

Well here's to hoping it's not Psoriasis! Good luck!

The pictures on the Internet of psoriasis and dermatitis look different to me. Both hurt like crazy, I'm sure. I have not had the biopsy. I need to do that for sure. A very good friend has lupus, and some of her spots and mine look the same. Cortizone stops her itching, but not mine. I guess biopsy is the only way to know for sure.

During my last severe flare up the derm took 2 biopsies from 2 different areas because the rashes looked very different - one from my neck that was silvery, scaly "normal ps-looking" and one from my arm that looked like a small red pimple, not scaly/dry but almost waxy looking. Surprise! They were BOTH ps! Moral of the story is: ps can look different, even on the same person at the same time! Definitely get the biopsy to be sure.

Does anyone have chronic nummular dermatitis/ (eczematous)

Thanks for the info. I'll post later what the derm. finds out

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders