is Vinegar good for psoriasis patient?

some website say that rinsing body by vinegar is good for skin. did anybody use vinegar on their skin?

23 replies. Join the discussion

all i can say is OUCH .. my P would burn terrible and need to be washed off right away with me screaming.
i have gotten some on my hands and ran screaming to the sink. my skin peels off and leaves a bloody mess. i have it on my hands and feet. the type of P i have is Erythrodermic Psoriasis . my skin just falls off and my heels get super think. many things have burnt my hands. bug spay outside a small amount got on my hands i ran screaming. literally, to the car for water to wash it.

i am wondering if you mean in your diet because i cannot imagine puting it on your skin. at least my P would not like it.

Does anyone else have erythrodermic psoriasis? I had to be hospitalized with it. Methotrexate is finally helping but it keeps wanting to come back. Anyone get rid of it forever?

yes i do. its mostly my palms and bottoms of feet. but breaks out other places. my nose and ear elbows all have small spots that just peel off and bleed. then heal then peel again.
when it first broke out my palms the skin just fell off. i honestly thought i burnt my hands. the skin came off in finger shaped pieces. left the thinest layer of skin that leaked blood and fluids. the soft areas of my feet and toes do it as well but the heels get very thick and about an inch up the side of my feet the skin is think and falls off and leaves a bloody mess, but in smaller pieces.
at the moment i am useing topicals and MTX it has totally healed my skin. i am well aware it may break out for no reason. or one of many triggers. stress being my main trigger. good luck with yours.
i have read that some people need to be hospitalized if too much skin is lost. like a burn victim.
from web MD site.
.........................................Erythrodermic Psoriasis
This type of psoriasis is the least common, but it’s very serious. Eyrthrodermic psoriasis affects most of the body and causes widespread, fiery skin redness that may appear burned. In addition, you may have:

Severe itching, burning, or peeling
An increase in heart rate
Changing body temperature
If you have these symptoms, see the doctor right away. You may need to be hospitalized. This type of psoriasis can cause severe illness from protein and fluid loss. You may also develop an infection, pneumonia, or congestive heart failure.

These things may trigger erythrodermic psoriasis:

Sudden withdrawal from a systemic psoriasis treatment
An allergic drug reaction
Severe sunburn
Infection
Medications such as lithium, anti-malarial drugs, cortisone, or strong coal tar products
Erythrodermic psoriasis may also occur if you have a long period where it is hard to control your psoriasis.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/expck/psoriasis -types?page=2

but forever is not likely though many years is possible. forever doesn't seem to happen with P.
but mine is totally healed and has been for a bit. and expect no problems in the near future.

A 50-50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water sprayed on, rubbed in, and left on my scalp for 15 minutes or more before showering (even let it dry and leave it on overnight before showering the next morning, if desired) has from the very beginning totally eliminated scalp itching for me. Doing this even only once or twice a week is sufficient on my scalp. Years ago I had a groin fungal infection that nothing else would eliminate. I tried this mixture down there to see what it would do and within three days it was gone and has never returned.

It's something I just started within the last week. orally though.

2 tablespoons ..and then I drink my green tea with fresh lemon immediately after. (to get arid of the yucky taste)

It's suppose to be a candida killer and definitely helps my energy it seems. Whether it's helping the P or not...too early to tell. But it's not making it worse. Applied to the skin would burn nasty though. Not sure how that would turn out in the long run.

Hi,

I have Guttate P and I just had a sever outbreak. Before I decided to go to the derm I order this apple cider vinegar from Just Natural and it did nothing for me. It burned like crazy

I never applied vinegar directly to my skin, as like lemon juice it would have hurt big time.

However, adding a cup of ACV to your bath water is meant to be very soothing.

Some people also find taking 1 – 2 teaspoons ACV in water to be very beneficial. Just make sure you avoid contact with your teeth as much as possible because any sort of vinegar will erode enamel. I suggest you swish with water afterwards and brush to avoid this.

On a different note: I use vinegar all the time for cleaning the house and it works brilliantly!

thanks to all of u! reading all of ur replies....i feel like i should not apply vinegar on my skin. i would rather drink it mixed with water or something else!

I had heard about the apple cider vinegar and just bought it, but haven't used it yet. Getting rid of the itching would be great but what does it do for the scaling? Thanks!
Kimmons

i rinse with witch hazel stings less and it and antiseptic but apple cider vinegar has helped for some

I have used apple cider vinegar all my life, lots of good uses. I take it internally - 2 tablespoons with about the same amount of water (make sure to get the right kind, organic apple cider vinegar with the mother). I also use it as a rinse for my scalp if it is itchy. It is great for sunburns.
Lots of uses just be careful with it. It can also be used as a household cleaner so do your own research.

Here are a couple of reads for you. 60 uses of vinegar:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/vinegar.html

The Facts on Apple Cider Vinegar:
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Lots of information out there on vinegar.

Thanks gin-Ice for the site on uses of vinegar! Who knew!!
Perhaps silly question but if you have an acidic system I assume the vinegar makes you a lot more acidic? Trying to figure out this acidic/alkaline thing..

Here's a quick video explaining how vinegar works in your body.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4801905_african-herbal-remedies.html?wa%5Fvlsrc=c ontinuous&pid=1&wa%5Fvrid=6586a945%2D1fce%2D4b65%2Da361%2Dfe023739d96a&cp=1

Just google vinegar acidic/alkaline and you will get all kinds of info. Good luck.

I just saw my Doc today and he suggested I use a solution of vinegar and water for the Psoriasis around my groin area. Was thinking that would really sting but going to try it later when I have time and will let you know.

That is great...but one question...do you have long hair? I do and the itching is terriable!!

Have you ever cleaned out a coffee pot with vinegar? I've read that people with p. have more cholesterol in their skin and vinegar can help with that. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5031672_benefits-apple-cider-vinegar-cholesterol. html I add citric acid (the vinegar acid) to my conditioner and I have long hair but it is partly because my homemade shampoo is more alkaline. I think, everything in moderation though. Drinking to much could possibly cause acidosis and a loss of alkaline loveing minerals.

My hair length varies with my mood. Just be sure the apple cider vinegar gets to your scalp and your itch will disappear. I see so many people here saying they are not going to try it because it burns. How do they know it burns if they don't try it? People would be better off at least giving vinegar a try on a small section of skin and see for themselves. Vinegar has been great at eliminating scalp itching for me - even used straight from the bottle. Never had a problem. Makes a great hair rinse, too. Please Google it and read reports from hundreds of people who swear by it, rather than simply listening to the few here.

I tried Apple Cider Vinegar and broke out like CRAZY! It burnt and stung and didn't do any good at all. Of course, it could help, I tried it because I was at the end of my rope. A lot will claim that it works, and that's great! I would say give it a try, if it works, that is awesome! If not, move on to the next. I have heard so many things from rubbing kiwi fruit on it (ouch) and soaking it in milk and honey (helped with itching, but I think that was mostly the cold). I tried a lot of stuff and nothing worked :(

Ally

it depends on the type of P you have. mine is Erythrodermic, the type that my skin falls off in sheets. leaveing me looking like i got burnt. i have it mostly on my hands palms and bottoms of my feet. a few small spots else were. Ii don't get the thick flaky stuff like my mother has. so vinager hurts terrible.
i have used it years ago on a bad sunburn i got one day the next day it was red but it never hurt. removed the pain from the sunburn. i was totally sceptical but it worked for the sunburn just not my type of P.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders