Help with creams to use for guttate psoriasis

I got strep throat at the beginning of the month and was put on antibiotics. 4 days later broke out in a rash. i knew it was psoriasis as this happened to me 15 years ago when i got strep,at that time i got a cream for my face and body and it cleared up quick.it was a severe case..i went to see another doctor because mine was away. told her it was psoriasis which she did not believe. first she thought i had mono (blood test confimed neg) then she thought it was a rash caused by an allergy to the medication and put me on another antibiotic. finally i saw my reg doc who thought the same, an allergy and put me on prednisone for 3 days and of course it did nothing, then she decided to repeat it. after 2 more days on this horrible medicaiton i finally convinced her it was psoriasis. she called a derm doc and called me back telling me to stop the prednisone as it would make my psoriasis worse.....just went to see the derm doc thinking i would get a cream but she wants to put me on cyclosporine. after hearing a long long list of severe side effects from her as well as my pharmasist and then doing research online I have decided that the risks outway the benefits for this medication. i refuse to take it. so now im looking into what i wanted in the beginning, to try creams.i need help as to what to ask for from my doctor. again its guttate psoriasis and it is a severe case. im also looking into homeopath options and light therapy. i just dont understand why a cream wont work this time as it did before with no problems. ive been looking online for hours and just find conflicting information so im looking for what people have used and whats worked and what hasent. Since June the 1st ive been on a medication rollercoaster ride. ive been prescribed medication after medication that has made things worse or that would cause extreme side effects that are not worth the risk. I am greatful for any help i can get.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Lotion helped my daughter when she had guttate psa. Good luck!

When I have a guttate outbreak, I use a triple antibiotic ointment and it clears it up in no time. Have to tried this? I've tried using it on my face, behind ears, etc. but it don't clear up this kind of p. I sure wish it did.

what is a triple antibiotic? is there a name for it? right now im using betaderm and its ok but not really seeing any difference. ive been on 3 oral antibiotics and now they want me to take the cyclosporine but i wont. I dont want any more oral meds as my system is just messed up now from all of it. And my doctor for some reason doenst seem to know what creams to use.
Thanks again

Can you find out from your records - health insurance -doctor or pharmacy what worked last time? Reactions to creams differ and the one you used last that was successful seems to me to be the best to try first.
Keep a record from now on even as I say it know I need to do the same.

im in the process of trying to get my old records. i had the same doc till i was 18 then moved to a different city. when i got a new doc my file was transfered without my kowledge to the new doc and shortly after i started with her she closed her practice. 9 years later and i have a new doc.. So now im trying to figure out where and who i need to talk to to find her and where she put her files.....needless to say this could take some time..and i need to start now on treating this

Good Morning:
The triple antibiotic that I was referring to is just an over the counter one. I don't know why it works but so far it works for me. I haven't used alot of medications for any of the p that I have so maybe that's why it works. I don't know. I sure wish there was something for my face and scalp that worked.
I hope that you will have better days.

ok thanks so much!! ill try anything!!I think what im using is going to work. my body is slowly getting better i think.. im most areas the spots have formed into huge patches but now some of them are getting lighter.

For my guttate p I started taking 2000MG of Milk Thistle and put aloe from my aloe plants in my yard. Open up the leaves and put it on my legs and arms and face. Guttate p is clearing up with just some red patches left that are fading. You can also buy pure aloe at Walmart in a bottle. It is clear and has no alcohol. It seems simple, but it worked for me.

I have had good success with pure aloe, 2% beta hydroxy acid liquid from Paula's Choice, and Alcohol free witch hazel with aloe from Thayers. I use the beta hydroxy acid at night when my Guttate is flaring and the other two to suppress it when I'm clear. Currently I've been clear for 6 months, but I also take 8mg of Methotrexate weekly. What I can say for sure, is that the ointments I've been using do not exacerbate the problem and seem to help.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders