Drinking Alcohol

** Originally posted by PAddict **

im 21 and i like getting ******

as im sure you all know excess alcohol consumption causes psoriasis to flare... mine sure does.

because of the vast youth drinking culture you dont have much of a life if you stop drinking, sadly.

anyone got any tips to make the alcohol not aggravate it as much?

6 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by njperson08 **

I honestly dont notice a difference and I went from drinking a bar sized bottle of rum almost every night to quitting completely for well over a month now

** Originally posted by PAddict **

i wish i could do that, if i go and get drunk its so much worse the next day and really itchy

maybe if i stop drinking and smoking itl go away all together

** Originally posted by MrsCuster **

Why dont you just cut back? or try to quit smoking first. I dont drink but I am not sure if alcohol even is a matter maybe excesive alcohol consumption but I know quite a few of the people on here drink because they are usualy drinking while chatting LOL. And I doubt they would do it if it made their P worse.

** Originally posted by frogpie **

i used to drink *very* heavilly, perhaps to a certain extent self medicating against the pain of PsA

i definitely found that say 2 to 3 days after consumption of vast ammounts of booze (red wine in particular) my joints and skin improved

quit the grog completely over 5 years ago and cut the gigs down to a very rare treat, ie maybe 10 per year

overall i feel much better now

i never would have imagined myself to be a tea-total, i didnt need confidence or anything, i just enjoyed the physical sensation of being very very drunk

i wouldnt go back now, im sure my general health would be in a **** state by now if i hadnt

maybe you could try what i did at first - stopped for a month just to proove i could

you might be surprised at the positive effects

cheers
Gav.

** Originally posted by kimberlyjoy **

I cannot say I have ever noticed a flare up in my psoriasis plaques, however I do notice my psoriatic arthritis flare up when I am drinking. I have the same problem as you though because you are right, in todays world.. if you dont drink-- your social life may be lacking a little bit, as sad as that sounds.

I was on MTX for a long time, a medication that you cannot drink alcohol when you are on it. I finally had to make a really big decision for myself and my body to quit the mtx-- pretty much purely for the fact that I wanted to be able to go out and drink and not have to worry about it potentially killing me.

** Originally posted by soxfan87 **

My P is definitely affected by my drinking. One of the last weekends of college this year I drank heavily 5 days in a row (an extended weekend) and flared up REALLY bad after that. I'm almost happy I'm out of college now so I don't have to deal with the pressure to go out so often and drink (now I'm probably a twice a week drinker, and only a couple beers each time). My P has really improved since I slowed my drinking, and also went on the Pagano diet (which outlaws the use of any alcohol).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the National Psoriasis Foundation

Help the National Psoriasis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Psoriasis Foundation

Discussion topics

Additional resources

Community leaders