Pneumonia Vaccine

Has anyone taken the Pneumonia Vaccination?

26 replies. Join the discussion

Nope, but after hearing about people's experiences with the flu shot, i sure wouldn't want to try it.
(just my humble opinion)...

We can't stay well long enough for them to give us a flu or pneumonia shot : (

Yes, I get the pneumonia shot every 5 years and the flu shot every year. I had to have my spleen removed back in 1985 and they say if you get a certain type of pneumonia you will probably die without the vaccine. I guess I don't have the ability to fight this one strain of pneumonia without a spleen. :)

I have had flu, shingles and pneumonia shots in the last 4 years with no ill effects; in fact I've gone into remission since last spring and had the flu shot this fall with no reaction....we're all so different :-)

I also get the pneumonia shot every 5 years. I've never had any reaction with it. I also get the flu shot every year with great results.

I have not, but plan to as soon as my Medicare kicks in in Feb.
After Sarc, even in remission, my lungs are weak, and pneumonia could kill me.
Just my two cents, Gary

Well here is 2 cents from a bookkeeper. I will not get any kind of vaccine as long as I have sarc.

Over my life time I have come down with what ever was in the vaccine, and with a disfunctional immune system I will not risk any vaccines right now.

We each have to make our own decisions based on how we know our bodies.

DJ

I have had both pneumonia and flu shots in October with no side effects amd no problems. Have Sarcoidosis in lungs, neck, and chest and am on 20mg of prednisone.

I had the pneumonia shot 3 yrs ago when I first got sick and get flu shot every year. Never had any problems with either.

I had the pneumonia vaccine back in 1987. After almost nearly annual bouts with pneumonia I have never had one since.

I get the recommended flu vaccines every year with no ill effects.

I fall into three high risk categories and that is the only reason I get the vaccines. For healthy people who are not in a risk category, natural immunity built up by exposure is always the best way to go.

It should be noted that the pneumonia vaccine is only effective against specific types of pneumonia, as are flu shots. If you are exposed to something that falls outside those parameters you can still get pneumonia or flu.

I get a flu shot every year and last year I got my first pneumonia shot = minor ache at injection site has been my only complaint.

I was going to give advice about pneumonia shots and sarcoids, but after reading the replys, you got good advice. Pneumonia shots are good for 5 years. I get one every 5 years and a flu shot every year. I have had sarcoidosis for 17 years and highly recommend the shots. Good luck and God Bless !!
Tony

AmFil,

Can I ask why you get a pneumonia vaccine every five years? This normally a once in a lifetime vaccine.

Key Facts :

Everyone age 65 and older should get the pneumonia vaccine.
Anyone with chronic disease or a weak immune system should also get the vaccine.
Most people need to get it only once.
Most people have mild or no side effects.
It is covered by Medicare.

Since my diagnosis 7 years ago, I've had the flu shot every year with no problems. they gave me a pneumonia shot when I had my surgery and I had another after 5 years. I used to get pneumonia EVERY fall. I've only had it once in the past 7 1/2 years. On top of sarcoid, I have MAC. I will always get my shots!

You need to get a booster shot every 5 years for the pneumonia.
It's not a one time shot. I get the flu shot every year. Last year
was the first time I got the pneumonia shot. No problems at all.

I had both shots done and felt very sick for days after with a slight fever. Then after 3 days back to my normal problems. My doctor said I need to have the pneumonia shot if not I wont be able to fight it. It's every five years no big deal your probable poked more with shot then that in a month. LOL

I was told, from US doctors and Filipino doctors, to get a pneumonia shot every 5 years. Last year, I still got pneumonia and was in the hospital for 6 days. I was on some heave duty antibiotics and it took that long to clear it up. It did almost destroy my right lung though. I am sure that it was bad before but now almost useless.

The pneumonia shot does seem to help... except last May. I got pneumonia from my neice, who came over sick. She passed it to me and it really kicked me hard. I was in the hospital, in the Phils, for 6 days. They had me on i.v antibiotics, heavy doses, and it took that long to clear it up. It almost finished destroying my right lung but I get along ok, just a little slower now. I am getting good treatment here and am very satisfied with most of the medical advice I get here. I only get stuck now for blood test, about every 6 months. I feel pretty good now but still have aches and pains, fatigue, and low energy levels. In spite of all that, I am proud to be able to write about it. Keep strong, be blessed and keep informed.

Tony

Okay, If your doctors say every five years, it's every five years. There must be a reason.

Weird though. I was told in "87 once in a lifetime and haven't had one since. Maybe it's age related; I was still young then.

I do know that the vaccine is less effective in people who are immuno-compromised (e.g. long time steroid therapy); and that could explain the boosters.

yes I got a flu shot and a pnemonia shot , its the first year and Iam happy to say I have not gotten whats out there . Iam so happy about that because it scares me because of my breathing the last thing I want is something else in my lungs. But Iam eating good with the help of DJ and her tips on anti imflammatory diet and excersising and Iam sure this all makes a difference . We all need to take care of ourselves and we help each other do it . When i come to think of it my sarc was real bad and they didnt even ask me they said you need to have this . Good Luck it can be different for everyone .

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support FSR

Help the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

Discussion topics

Help and information from FSR

Sarcoidosis and the Body
Sarcoidosis is a "multiorgan" disease - meaning it almost always involves more than one organ. It's unpredictable and affects different people in different ways.

You can learn about the ways in which sarcoidosis affects the body in FSR's Sarcoidosis and the Body brochure.

Community leaders