x ray for the thumb

Finally going to get my thumb x ray, It has been bothering me for 4 or 5 months now. I did get a few shots it helped for awhile but it is inflamed and swollen and it burns badly. I am right handed and that doesn't help.

I had asked a few people on FB if a person with CREST can also have Morphea, the skin where it hurts looks purplish and it also is a whitish as well. I just don't know but hopefully we will find out what is wrong tomorrow.

7 replies. Join the discussion

Sam-Detray 11, I also have something wrong with my thumb on my right hand. It hurts and is crooked. I am also right handed. My hands hurt anytime that I have been asleep and first wake up.

mine hurts all the time too, going in a bit to get an xray , I so can not wait. I know there is something going other then arthritis.

CREST is a systemic scleroderma (has organ effects). Morphea is a localized scleroderma(has no organ effects). So they are mutually exclusive. Some people erroneously refer to the skin effects of systemic scleroderma as morphea, but that term should be reserved for the localized version so as to keep the lines of diagnosis clear.

I have the same problem .Only with my index finger on my left hand ,Of course I'm left handed
My finger burnes so bad It feels like a lighter is under my finger burning it !And than turnes deep purple Now all of my fingers turn purple .
I was checked for Raynauds Test came back as posative Look up on the computer information on Raynauds It tells you all about it I hope this will help Good luck

DaisyDo - now I'm confused from your answer when you say mutually exclusive - I've got both it seems.
I have developed what appear to be morphea patches on my back -looks just like this pic I found on the web http://www.aocd.org/images_ddd/morphea_1_low.jpg
I also have enough symptoms to diagnose limited -anticentromere ab, raynauds, abnormal nailfold capillaries, some telangiectasia, transient skin thickening, loss of fat pads in my finger tips. PFT results were a little off, so I'll be seeing a pulmonologist in a couple of weeks to discuss those results.

Yes, the systemic scleroderma skin effects can look just LIKE morphea even though "morphea" is classified as non-systemic. That's why doctors shouldn't make a diagnosis of morphea based on the appearance of the skin lesions alone, but rather make some attempt to confirm that there are no systemic affects, before deciding that it really is morphea. Unfortunately, some docs jump the gun and call it morphea without adequate inquiry and testing, and then are surprised when systemic effects start becoming really obvious. I've read that even a biopsy cannot differentiate between morphea and a similar-looking skin lesion that can go with systemic scleroderma. Fibrosis is fibrosis.

So the skin lesions shouldn't be CALLED morphea unless there are no systemic effects, because morphea is classified as a type of non-systemic "localized" scleroderma in which the sclerosis is confined to the skin only.

So, you either have non-systemic morphea, or you have systemic scleroderma with some skin lesions that look essentially the same as morphea. But because of the way it's classified, if you go calling it morphea, that says right there that it's non-systemic, which is apparently not the case for you.

Here's what Medscape has to say about it: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1065782-overview . They say that "0.9-5.7% of patients with morphea progress to systemic sclerosis.[3] The transition may be marked by the development of Raynaud phenomenon and nailfold capillary changes. However, these patients may have been initially misclassified on diagnosis." Which is basically what I just said. Emphasis on "these patients may have been initially misclassified on diagnosis."

Since there is such a preponderance of "morphea" remaining non-systemic, that my gut feeling has to be that probably ALL who convert to systemic effects were initially misdiagnosed.

DaisyDo - thanks - that's a good breakdown.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders