stomach spasms

i am just wondering if anyone has stomach problem's like mine. I have had crest since feb. 2007 and on occasion i have these spell's were i feel very bloated, like 8 month's pregnant and i get a knot in my stomach just up above my navel with pain or sometimes just pressure and i get nauseated, this was tuesday night after dinner, 3 day's later i am having colon spasm's. can someone tell me what is happening to me? And i have started med's that the dr. gave me for IBS. Thank's for any help!

16 replies. Join the discussion

Sounds very similar to what I've experienced. It was starting to ridiculously frequent for me until a friend of mine told me about probiotic pills. They are awesome! You can find them around other supplements and they're just over the counter. They're basically what is in yogurt only more and in pill form. They have helped my gi issues so much!

I started having a feeling in my stomach about the same place that you mention about a month ago. It feels like a squeezing or a knot like you mentioned. At times, it seems like I can fill a small knot there. I talked to my rhemy about it and so he had me do an upper GI and haven't got the results yet. But he did recommend that I eat 2 yogerts a day and take the probiotics with each meal. But so far I haven't noticed any difference. Also, My stomach feels bloated. But If I hear the results soon I will let you know what they tell me. It is very annoying and hard for me to think about anything else once it starts!!!! By the way I have the limited sclero derma too. Best wishes!!!!

I just had an EGD (endoscopy) and colonoscopy. My primary wanted the colonoscopy due to my being over 50, and my rheumy wanted the whole deal, due to the scleroderma. There are so many changes that can go on. I get my results next week. I have also had some luck with pro-biotics, although I am not good about taking them unless I have issues...... too many pills all ready. Unfortunately for me, I hate yogurt!
Patsy, Has your doctor talked about doing any testing to find out the underlying cause?

Florida RN. No just did the upper GI and small intestine and haven't heard the results yet. But he may depending on what results they find. He talked about an endoscopy but I told him the last one I had they gave me morphine and it makes me so sick and I vomited on the way home and about choked to death!!! Couldn't breathe so I didn't want another one if that were to happen so he said do the upper GI first then and see. Thanks for asking and hope you do better Too!!!!!

Just had a test to see how fast food leaves my stomach and goes through the intestines. Had to eat radio active eggs with toast and water. They took scans every hour for 5 hours. Will get the results next Thursday. I have the feeling you are describing and it is very uncomfortable. I feel stuffed. Will be looking for everyone's results. Will post how mine turns out.

After a bowel impaction in Sept.I get the feeling off & on all day-everyday of that someone's fist is in my stomach.It hurts waist level on my right side.I think it starts shortly after eating something & as the food goes down it catches in that area. I take probiotics everyday.I'm tired of exploring every pain.Whatever test I do always causes side effects & I just feel too tired for more bad stuff.I tell those close to me that I might miss details or seem adrift but "the noise" of all the pain is constantly sounding off in me & is very distracting .G-d help us all !

It's so important to keep a food journal when you (we) have lower GI problems.
You will get an understanding of what foods and liquids are making you bloat. Stress will also cause IBS symptoms to occur.
I had much luck with Probiotics and better luck with a IBS diet.

It's such a delicate balance because we need the nutrition and calories, but eating raw fruits and vegetables can be difficult to digest. Also Insoluble Fiber is a no no.

Nothing worse than a bloated, cramping stomach. Good luck in feeling better.

Chris in Chicago

painfree is right to suggest keeping a food journal to try to identify foods that are possibly causing problems - allergies or otherwise. I've found that many of my stomach and lower GI problems can be traced to specific foods - most recently discovered that onions were suddenly causing major problems - never had problems with them before.

I've yet to determine if the pressure/knotting feeling I get is related to gall-bladder, pancreas or liver (any or all can become inflammed due to allergies). I have recently tried taking benadryl during an attack - the attacks seem to subside shortly afterwards, but I can't be 100% certain that it's the antihistamine and not just the natural progression of the problem. Oh, and fyi, taking an antihistamine before eating to try to prevent an attack brought on by a food allergy has no effect.

Food sensitivities can also cause ibs-type symptoms as well. I get different reactions to different foods (even if the allergen is the same, which in my case is sulfite) and the reaction can be relatively immediate or it can occur 24-36 hours later, sometimes even longer.

Thank's to you all for the post and the info, I know i have been told that my food does'nt move out that it just sit's there because the muscle at the end of my esphogus won't open and close like it is suppose to. I have had ever test imagineable but it was year before last, so i'm wondering if i should have them again to see if there have been any changes, this did'nt happen until later after all the testing. I have made an appointment with my gastro dr for april 2nd, i guess we will see what he say's. but to all of you that are waiting for test result's please be sure and let me know what you find out! thank's again to you all, have a blessed day and night.

Weepy, what you are describing sounds just like bacterial overgrowth, which happens a lot in scleroderma. Here's one study done using the medicine, octreotide. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199111213252102 .

Here's another article: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/overgrowth.htm .

And another: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rheumatology-including-Arthritis-986/2010/12/scl eroderma-diarrhea.htm . Note: don't take regular peppermint oil, because it will dilate the gastro-esophageal sphincter, causing more problems with reflux. The article mentions the type of peppermint oil was encapsulated so that it doesn't get released from the capsule until well past the stomach.

Here's another article which suggests both antibiotics to help reduce the bacterial overgrowth, followed by probiotics to hopefully put the normal gut bacteria back to a normal quantity and beneficial type. http://gidiv.ucsf.edu/course/old/Quigley.pdf

Thanks DaisyDo, you always have great resources.

thank's daisydo, i will check on this tomorrow. you may be right because i had been checking my temp last week and it had been higher than it should be like 98.9 and mine normally runs like 97 or below, i guess you can run a temp with it. but thank's again for the info will let you know what i find out.

A fever in this situation can signal that the gut wall has become infected or even that gut perforation has occurred. It can be just as dire as the fever that occurs when an appendix has ruptured. Please get medical attention immediately.

Here are some articles about perforation in scleroderma: http://www.google.com/search?q=scleroderma+perforation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq =t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here's a good article about it: http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/springer-journals/intestinal-perforation-a-commo n-complication-of-scleroderma-F7HXArmPGn .

thank's i have made an appointment with my gastro dr , i will let you know what i find out. thank's for every thing.

try drinking red rooibos tea. it is mixed in baby formula in other countries to treat baby colic [spasms of intestines and gas ] as it is mild and relieves intestinal spasms . it will calm you and help you sleep.you can buy the falavored rooibos tea in the supermarket in the specialty tea section . it is made by tetley and celestial seasonings . it has np caffiene or tannin in it . it comes in flavors such as vanilla ,pear , and pomegranate .it can be drank hot or cold . is also good for gingivitis and ulcers and helps heal . i drink it everyday . i usually mix a regular teabag and a red rooibos tea bag because I like to drink it that way.give it a try
cathy from ma

i too have had the same problem took probiotics did everything that dr said to do with diet, but last week ended up in hospital twice from bloating and impacted white count up , but they wern't sure how to treat me looking for help

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders