How do you take Methotrexate?

Could you share with me your experience with MTX, how do you take it to avoid or lessen side effects?
Any comments would be appreciated.

13 replies. Join the discussion

OMerci,
If you look in the upper right corner of page you will find the box that reads find it. Type in Methotrexate and you will find all discussions about Methotrexate.

I hope this will help you.

I took it by injection, which supposedly lessens the nausea but didn't for me. You can ask for anti-nausea medication though.

I take mine at bedtime that way I can sleep through the worse.

I take ten on Saturdays divided into two doses. I take RX strength folic acid and the only side effects I have had is sore
places in my mouth. I use listerine for the mouth and that helps. Hope you do well with it.

Thank you very much. I found a wonderful site, which can be benefit also others new to MTX - http://rawarrior.com/the-1st-dose-of-methotrexate-for-rheumatoid-arthritis- 15-questions/.
What can be done to help methotrexate side effects?
http://rawarrior.com/methotrexate-and-rheumatoid-arthritis/part-6-checklist -manage-methotrexate-side-effects-rheumatoid-arthritis/

Other source also warned do not take it with milk and acid drinks which is not common stated information.

Thank you very much. I found a wonderful site, which can be benefit also others new to MTX - http://rawarrior.com/the-1st-dose-of-methotrexate-for-rheumatoid-arthritis- 15-questions/.
What can be done to help methotrexate side effects?
http://rawarrior.com/methotrexate-and-rheumatoid-arthritis/part-6-checklist -manage-methotrexate-side-effects-rheumatoid-arthritis/

Other source also warned do not take it with milk and acid drinks which is not common stated information.

I have taken methotrexate now for several years with no noticeable side effects, except some occasional sore areas in the mouth, though these could be due to something else. Anyway, I take four pills every Monday and Friday before breakfast followed by a folic acid pill. Maybe I am just lucky re the side effects. My doctor thinks that it has controlled the progression of my scleroderma very well. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Hi there, I have been taking Methotrexate for about 6 years and take 3 twice a day on Fridays.
Oh and Folic Acid on Mons & Tues. The only probs I have are mouth ulcers OFTEN but am
otherwise great. It has been so worth it for me. Liz.

I take 7 pills every Friday evening, I have been on it for several years along with Plaquenil, I have no side effects that I am aware of that I can attribute to it. It does help my inflammaion, because when my hands start really hurting bad again, and staying swollen a lot (more than the normal amount) she has gradually up the number of pills and I has been noticeable each time. The inflammation is reduced for awhile. I have had my rings enlarged twice over the years, I have just accepted that there is nothing that I can do about it, my hands (also my ankles and other parts) are not going to be small again (unless I am going to be on seroids long term forever and even then it will probably only for a period of time) because this disease is not going anywhere, I just learn to adapt to my changing circumstances.

Thin Lizzy,

Did you know if you increase your Folic Acid it will help your mouth sores go away. Please confirm with you doctor and dentist but it sure did the job for me. BTW I take Folic Acid daily, even after off Methotrexate.

Good health and peace.
Chris is Chicago

I take Methotrexate 7.5mgs in morning and same in evening, both times after a meal.
Am sure it has helped heaps. The only side effects that I know of are sores in the mouth which are awful
and hair loss.
I really think the worst of my pain and discomfort comes from the osteoarthritis in hips and spine etc etc.
My Rheumatologist is hoping to reduce my Methotrexate in July. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Take care, Liz

Thank you heaps for that advice. Will check with my doctor today and dentist
in a couple of weeks.
Liz

Hi Painfree!

Saw my doctor on Friday and mentioned the Folic Acid increase for mouth ulcers.
H felt my current dose was adequate but he suggested 3mthly Vit B12 inj's and see how it goes.
I said I'd try anything so had first inj then.

Nothing more to report yet.!

Take care, Liz

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders