appetite

i take cellecpt which causes nausea an loss off appetite. i have loss weight and im trying hard to gain it back. my doc prescribed megastrol but it doesnt help . does anybody else have this problem and if so, what else is out there that will increase my appetite?

13 replies. Join the discussion

I take cellcept 2000mg a day and I don't experience nausea or loss of appetite. I follow the one hour before eating rule, my husband gets up before me so he gives me my first dose and I go back to sleep and then I take my second dose an hour before dinner. I have been on cellcept for 8 months now without any problems.

i follow the rules too, this is the only side effect i seem to have almost everyday.

I am having good luck with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. To find more about SCD, Google it

If you are in a state that allows for medical marijuana you might try it. Also you might try high calorie foods or smoothies.

You might ask your Dr. for Zofran tablets for the nausea. It works great for me when I have nausea from a migraine. The generic is a lot cheaper and seems to work just as well.

I don't take cellcept (yet) but Zofran works soooo good...its instant. Just occasionally u will get a dull headache but nothing that compares to nauseousness. I really hope u feel better!

shawntyslim,

I started taking cellcept these last 2 years because of a scleroderma relapse I had been experiencing. My condition was stable for a good 8 years until my rt. hand started getting hard and my elbow was stiffening. My dr. prescribed cellcept. It seemed to work and I didn't think anything was different until I noticed my weight was dropping. At first it wasn't that noticeable, but now the total weight loss has become a huge problem. I did not know weight loss could be a possible side effect from cellcept. Because of this, I'm no longer on cellcept and so far haven't experienced any hardening or stiffening of my rt. hand and arm. I also noticed in the last 2 yrs. I did come down with a flulike sickness twice combined with nausea which worsened my weight loss.

Some possible solutions for gaining weight you could try is to drink various types of shakes, eat hearty cream soups and stews, snacking on peanut butter, nuts, raisins, cheese, and adding condiments, gravies and sauces to sandwiches. Also waking up extra early to eat breakfast gives you a headstart in your daily meal consumption. Try your best not to miss any meal if possible.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful! :)

D

I've been on cellcept for almost 5 months (1 500 for the first 3 months) 2000mg per day now and I do have experience nausea, some lost of appetite, many foods I use to like now I can't even look at them. I've only lost the extra pounds i gain from the prednisone.

I have been on cellcept for 2 yrs. now and am just starting to have some loss of appetite, no nausea. I eat nuts, raisins and small snacks. I have not had a significant weight loss. I only eat the allotted time before meal and after meals. I usually take it at bedtime because with my digestive system I can't eat and lay down. I hope you find a way to gain weight.

I just remember that some years ago I use to drink Ensure to help me gain weight, since I drop over 20lb (unrelated to sclero) I was around 95lb, maybe you can try it or check with your Dr. if your can drink some of those shakes.

no offense but i am in pain daily all day and every morning i get up i have a cup of coffee or hot cocoa and a lil marijuana for the nausaua and it helps with my appitite some also...lol

The caffeine in coffee and cocoa is not good for Raynaud's, nor for GERD, so I have switched to decaf coffee, and minimize how often I drink cocoa, but I have to admit I terribly miss that caffeine "jumpstart" in the mornings!

Does decaffeinated cocoa exist? I think not - and someone should figure out how to make it, and start marketing it!

Omygosh, I found decaffeinated hot chocolate mix online! I didn't think such a thing existed. Joy!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders