LQT-Taking Methadone

Hi,
Has anyone out there taken metadone in small doses with LQT.

I have LQT and chronic pain from a car wreck ten years ago. I aslo have extreme diverticulitus and severe sleep apnea. A short time before I found out about the long QT I was taking about 15 mg of methadone and other pain meds during the day. The methadone seemed to be the most effective of all the meds I have taken and cause the least side effects during the day. Because I was sleeping painfree for longer periods of time I was able to come off a lot of the daytime meds. For the first time in years I felt human. Like the Pre-Wreck me. Then they yanked them because of the LQT.

All the studies I can find dealing with risk factors ar about 100+mg per day. I can't find anything about low doses. Has anyone seen anything.

Right now I am on morphine and oxycodone primarially, with a few minor things thrown in and I really hate them. So if I could feel safe and go back to something relatively safe, it would be great!!!!
Dee

6 replies. Join the discussion

Go to this site and it will tell you the drugs that are safe and the ones to stay away from when you have LQT.

http://www.azcert.org/medical-pros/drug-lists/drug-lists.cfm

Methadone is on the Drug list of medications to avoid when you have LQTS. You need to contact your physician immediately. It can cause your QT intervals to prolong further and cause a fatal arrhythmia. Please go to that website and check.
http://www.azcert.org/medical-pros/drug-lists/drug-lists.cfm

Hey there! I have LQTS and was also in a very bad car accident a few years back. I had 3 spinal surgeries and 2 knee surgeries thru the past years. I still suffer from a great amount of pain and take M-Eslon (morphine long-acting) & MS IR (morphine immediate release). I spent 2wks in a Cardiac Institute and those were considered the best for my LQTS & pain. There tend to be more anti-biotics/emetics that we need to avoid. I keep fairly updated through: http://www.qtsyndrome.ch/

If you need or would like to talk some more.. send me a message :o) I'm in the hospital about once a week with my LQTS so I'm pretty well updated on it all. Hypokalemia (low serum potassium) is my LQTS' biggest enemy. I've got an Rx for potassium but regardless have to get a couple litres of IV KCL run through me eery week - fun!!

Thanks for the replies,
One of the problems I am having is that I know Methadone is on the NO list for me. The thing is they don't talk about dosages. When I do manage to pin the profesionals down they admit that they are talking relatively high doses a hundred plus mg. a day. I am talking very low doses.

I don't like taking the risks but I have been on just about every pain medication known to man, including morphine. They all help enough to keep me borderline function. They keep the pain a a low roar. For some reason the methadone does it for my pain.

What I am trying to decide that if I am under strict observation, taking lower doses how large is the risk?
I have doctor's opinions on both sides but I can't really find anything to conclusively support either opinion. I keep hoping there is research out there on dosage that I just haven't been able to acces.
Thanks, Dee

Have you ever tried to go to a pain management clinic? You have to understand that the doctors cannot tell you a number per say of danger you are putting yourself in every time you take methadone. Every person is different on how they react to medications. I went 29 years not know that I had LQTS and took any medication that I needed, when I was sick etc. I do not believe the dosage has much to do with it. The medication itself has been known to Prolong the QT intervals. It all depends on what your QT is when you are taking the medicine. It seems very risky I am not a Doctor though. Good luck to you. Stay well.

I do go to pain management. They tell me no signif. danger. Heart Dr. is one who finally said that warnings all for 100+mg.
Sorry about short cuts. 1 hand typing. Broke a finger on rt hand.
Dee

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support SADS Foundation

Help The Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to The Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders