Harlequin Syndrome

Sudden onset of asymmetrical flushing on left sign of face with increased sweating. Seems to be exercise induced following walk/run but also flairs up when working in yard on hot day. Right side of face remains normal color and does not sweat.

Initial internist exam/tests are normal other than long time misalignment in c-spine vertebrae. Soon to have MRI of c-spine and upper t-spine vertebrae.

My personal online research took me to Harlequin Syndrome but no blog poster provided doctor or medical research facility information where they had been screened/treated.

I'm looking for a doctor with some experience or at least knowledge of symptoms and possible causes to investigate and eliminate before deciding it is a benign condition I have to live with. Neurologist? Orthopedic? Vascular? Location is not important.

7 replies. Join the discussion

I experience assymmetrical flushing at times, other times it symmetrical. I have a periodic fever syndrome called TRAPS. My main symptoms are fever and muscle and joint pain, but i have rashes that seem to be brought on by exercise, heat, stress, nerves, etc. I went misdiagnosed for several years and was finally diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic. Hope this helps.
~Angela

Thank you Angela. At this point I only have the asymmetrical flushing from my upper lip upward through my forward, complete with non-sweating on the non-flushed side. No fever. I already take as needed Nabumetone for some joint swelling and pain so I'm not sure if I have muscle aches, etc. Good to know that Mayo helped you and I'll be researching more. My next step is a spinal MRI to show doctors that I need a symptom management plan.

Hi there i am Desiree (50) i have had these symptoms since last year, and my Mdjust blew it off, then I got a new Md and wow she was on the ball! I saw a neuro and endochronologist and they came wup with this diagnosis, I was told could be from maybe a growth on my Thyroidm, after some testing they did find a nodule on the Thyroid which presses down on the nerves,
I am just glad that there is a name to what was Happening, I brought pictures in to my doc, so she can see first hand on how I looked,

sometimes surgery can relieve the symptoms if they are real bad.
So maybe the next time you see your md mentuion about the thyroid, I also got an excellent article on Harlequin from Web Md.

Wish you all the very best, keep me posted

Thank you for the thyroid clue. I have a history of hyperthyroidism with two remissions following medications treatment only. I do not take any meds now over 20 years later and still have an intact, functioning thyroid. Glad I refused permanent "death" of my thyroid decades ago.

Hello all,

I have similar experiences as Desiree.

I have Harlequin Syndrome since June 2009. And experiencing lots of health-problems since than.... (from one day to the other).
I was already thyroid-patient (Hashimoto's) but everything seemed OK.
Even last year nothing could be found (blood and X-thorax were OK). At that time I felt that my neck had grown on one side (the 'sweating' side).
After starting a group at Facebook I heard that normal bloodvalues don't mean anything. That might explain my health-problems (which seem to be related to thyroid-disorder). And after lowering the dosage of my thyroid medication I start feeling the neck again. But this time it becomes worse than last year. I will visit the endocrinologist again tomorrow.

It is known that there are more cases of people with Harlequin which is caused by s nodule pressing down on the nerves.
According to those cases, the damage to the nervous system can not be 'restored'. But perhaps it can take away some of the health-problems I experience.

There is a website about this Syndrome and some related Syndromes: http://www.ross-syndrome.com

There is also a group at Facebook about these Syndromes: http://www.facebook.com/groups/ross.and.related.syndromes/

In this group (privacy: 'closed') it is possible to exchange experiences with other patients....

Hope to see you all there...

Best regards,

Sip

P.s. @ Desiree: I really like to know how your story has developed in this last month.....

Hi Sip,
I asked to join the FB group. Peculiar phrase though - "add a comment to the Syndrome which you are diagnosed with" - how do I get more than a self-diagnosis? Neurologist appt not until Jan. 31, 2012. Should I search for an endocrinologist with knowledge about thyroid and harlequin connections? Seems like a good path to follow.

Hi Bray (and others),

This link might be interesting to you and others with Harlequin. It seems there are more ways in which Harlequin might be 'caused'.

This link is about a thyroid-disorder (not just goiter, but also thyroid artery...):
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crim/2011/293076/

I'm expecting at least two researches now:
1. a scan of the neck-area to determine what could explain the growth of my neck (unilateral)
2. a research for the thyroid artery.

Next tuesday I will visit the neurologist. I will ask her for a PET-scan of the neck. With a PET-scan can be determined which part of the sympathetic nervous system is still correctly working. I have the feeling that not just the sweating-glands have been 'damaged' but also some other glands (including one side of the thyroid?). A hope a PET-scan will show that I might be right. That might also explain why the other side of the thyroid seems to grow (compensatory growth?).....

Sip

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Join our Gaucher Disease Support Community today!

Things you can do

Support Genetic Alliance

Help Genetic Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Genetic Alliance

Join our PNET patient community today!

Join the Cushing's Disease Community on Inspire Today!

Discussion topics

Community leaders