Hypertonia...is it always linked to CP?

Hi everyone my 33+6 weeker (who's now 9 month actual 7.5 mo adjusted) went to his 9 month check up and I asked the pedi if she thought that he had hypotonia (my older son does and he seemed to be a little loose too) but then she surprised me and said no but I think he's got mild hypertonia (tight muscles) and is sending him to PT 2x's a week for 6wks or longer if needed...since he's not crawling or pulling up yet (my pedi office tends to go according to his actual age not adjusted...(IDK why) I'm not to worried about the PT and am glad that he's getting it since it can only help him...BUT when I did a google search on Hypertonia it links it to Cerebial Palsy in almost every site...which kind of makes me a little nervous as worried...he didn't have any brain bleeds and all his head ultrasounds in the nicu were perfect. Anyway although there's nothing we can really do about it other then PT which he's going to get already I am still a worry wart and freak easily...I'm not googling anything anymore. Anyone know if Hypertonia is always linked to CP? Thanks.

5 replies. Join the discussion

Nah, not at all. My son had pretty serious hypertonia and no CP. Reflux kids have it a lot. But I do have to tell you, my son had it in the NICU first. It wasn't until the past 6 months (he's 29 months old just today, wow!) that we even had any idea his face and upper chest were hypo in tone, he was so hyper down below. Totally normal with preemies.

No worries. And at 33 weeks? Even less worry, unless there was oxygen deprivation or bleeds. So go ahead and do the PT twice a week and your child will soar (mine did). :)

My daughter has mixed tone. In her case she is hypertonic due to trying to use muscles that are hypotonic. Once you see the therapist, he or she will be able to do a better job explaining what is going on with your child and how you can help him. My daughter does have a form of mild cp, but she is making progress. Many kids with hypertonia and hypotonia do not have cp. They just need help developing the muscles necessary to be able to do fine and gross motor tasks. One thing that I suggest you do to help you deal with the stress is make a list on paper or in your head of everything he can do, and as he makes gains, no matter how small, add it to your list. It really helps you stay focused on the small moments. Lanie is sixteen months actual and in the last two months has learned to crawl and is finally pulling herself up to a standing position. It has been hard work to get her to this point, but every week she makes a small gain in the right direction. I guess my point is, even if it were cp, some children with cp make good progress over time. Don't panic. If after meeting with the therapist you are still concerned, make an appointment with a neurologist for a full evaluation.

Leapingly- Blake does have GERD so maybe that's why he developed it...for a long time (a good 7 out of his 9 months) he screamed at every feeding and had a really hard time finding a medicine/dose that worked for him...it's better now but when he screamed he'd tighten up so much that bending him became difficult...poor guy. He's been so much better now though although we still have feeding issues but we believe that it's due to the GERD and a learned issue. We are working with a therapist for that too...lol

Laniesmom- I didn't realize that it could be mixed like that cause he does seem to have low tone on his upper body and tighter on his bottom hmm. I guess we'll see what the therapist says on the 3rd...I do see progress every few days in some things (he just got his walker going forward finally the other day lol) among other things and he's met all his goals other then physical but I suppose with therapy that will get better too...and if for some reason he does have CP I think that he will be fine and I will too :) I was just hoping that we could have got away from the PT's and OTs and braces and stuff this time around (my other son has vision impairments and hypotonia and didn't crawl until 16 months and pull up and cruise at 17mo and walked finally with braces at 2 yrs old...he was full term so shouldn't have had those issues but he's doing great now although he still wears ankle braces most of the time he will be 4 next month...) anyway I guess that at least I'm used to it and know somewhat what I'm dealing with...

Thanks for your replies :) It does make me feel better...

My heart goes out to you! It is so hard to manage all the appointments and exercises, etc. No one ever wants to see their child struggle, miss milestones, or need extra support. Please post an update after the appointment. I will be thinking of you!

Thanks Laniesmom it can be difficult and at least my older son doesn't have any outside appts other then what he gets at preschool (his preschool has all the therapists- his vision therapist, PT, OT, Speech, as well as regular preschool things...) so the only one that comes to see me is his vision therapist since most of his delays branch from the vision (he's blind in one eye and limited in the other eye) and he just comes over while my DS is at school every other week to update me and I get notes from his teacher every day and his therapists every week so it's much easier then having two to three therapists in my house every other week plus office visits...but then Blake was born premature and had GERD and now this so he kind of replaced DS1 in his office visits and we start Early On OT for him (in my house) starting the beginning of January as well but hey at least I know them all haha...oh well I guess I have to keep a positive outlook on it all and help them reach adulthood totally normal well as much as possible. Sigh.

I will post how his appts go in January to update you guys :) Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders