Forced vaccination?

According to Fairfax County - their licensed daycare providers must submit immunization records for each child and they can not admit a child to their care who is not immunized...

Seriously?

21 replies. Join the discussion

Every daycare and school we've ever sent the girls to require kids to be up to date on vaccinations. I believe for private providers it's a liability thing. Not all states require it, but most do. Each state has specific exemptions. In a daycare setting, you have mixed populations of infants (not fully protected yet due to age) and toddlers (many fully protected). I would especially find it frightening sending a non-protected infant to a school with non-vaccinated older children, bringing in potentially harmful things to my baby who is not of age to have all of their vaccinations to fully protect them.
National:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/stats-surv/schoolsurv/default.htm
Virginia:
http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiology/immunization/requirements.htm

I believe some people choose to do nannies and homeschool to avoid these requirements. My good friend has not vaccinated her children and has live-in help so she can work full-time.

BTW - this is nothing new. I believe the vaccination requirements for school children has been around since the 60's.

They are probably trying to protect their weakest babies the best they can. I don't know the minimum age they take, but for a lot of daycares it's 6 weeks, and a 6-week-old baby typically only has one series of shots which would not provide enough immunity yet from things like whooping cough. Case in point, at least 2 babies under four months old with one DTaP still caught and died of the illness in California, but none with 2 shots died, at least at the time I had read the article. They say 3 shots will give full protection, until time for the booster. But there are children in schools with conditions that do not allow for vaccines, and the herd immunity will protect them and the youngest babies who aren't immune yet, if those around them are. So if they require all their babies/toddlers to be up to date on their shots, then they will be protecting them the best they can, anyway. Perhaps they are worried about liability otherwise since it's a business.

Pertussis is going around and is very easy to catch. I heard, probably on here, where a tiny baby caught it from an unvaccinated child in a doctor's office waiting room and either died or was very ill from it. It's scary. If she has a medical reason not to be vaccinated, such as a heart condition that doesn't allow for it, I'd make sure they get all the necessary records. My son will go to preschool in the fall and even though he has his shots, I hope the other children are all immunized too.

Oops, make that no shots yet, a 6-week-old baby. And mygirlsmom, nice reply! Makes sense.

You can probably press them on the issue and ask to sign a waiver stating that it is against your beliefs to get the child immunized. That said, like mygirlsmom and Courtaney have indicated, you might want to think twice about sending an unvaccinated child into a public setting. Courtaney mentioned whooping cough. That would be one of my biggest concerns.

BTW, I'm very supportive of alternative vaccination schedules and whatnot. When it came to MMR, we initially got my son the separated measles shot (before Merck discontinued it b/c of pressure from the CDC which wants everyone on a cookie cutter schedule). So I'm not trying to press you on vaccinations out of some cookie cutter vaccine agenda. I think that some vaccines are more important than others.

I think that you have to weigh the pros and cons of vaccines and the pros and cons of public exposure. If negative vaccine reactions run in your family (they do in mine), those family traits also have to be taken into consideration. Daycares are notoriously germy. Even if all the kids are vaccinated, their parents (or whomever picks them up) may not be. And whooping cough is easily caught and can be deadly. If one decides to not get baby vaccinated but put baby into daycare, there are some significant risks of which one needs to be aware so that the decision can be made responsibly. And again, there are often work arounds to get children into school w/o vaccines. From my point of view, there are some diseases which are so easily caught and deadly that perceived risks of the vaccines simply do not outweigh the likely consequences of not getting the vaccine by putting baby daycare.

Good luck with your decisions. And good luck with your research in figuring out what is best for your baby.

Fairfax County is pretty strict about all the shots and such...
Were you not planning on immunizations? Or were you spacing them out? Had Addie had any immunizations yet? Usually the hepB is given in the hospital. We tried to space them out as much as we could. Like 2 two weeks apart just in case of a reaction and I just didnt like so much going into her little body at once.

There are strict guidelines due to the fact that small children are in such small quarters. We had to space out Lanie's immunizations due to her being in the NICU and illnesses. We just explained that where we were in our timeline and got a note from our doctor. I was curious as above if you are choosing to not have your child immunized at all. It definitely is a difficult decision, especially when having such fragile babies.

I would wonder if you could get a waiver for daycare, like you can for school. After all, a kid has a right to go to school, but does not have a right to a daycare spot. If this is an issue, I would go the nanny route or an in home place. The rules for in home places tend to be a little looser. We use an in home place for DDs first year. She stayed healthy the whole time.

z1z2, the short answer is yes. In many places, day cares are merely following state rules and one can sign a waiver. I don't know about VA specifically though.

z1z2-
The right to go to school is an interesting one. We had a girl in school who was Hindu and her parents refused to kill any living creature. The girl brought lice to school 3 times in a 2 month period. Parents were irrate, and they continually sent her home for lice. Her parents objected, saying they refused to kill the lice but her daughter had a right to go to school. Mind you, this was 1982, but per my mom, the school board sent them a letter and said they are not allowed to send their children to school with any contagions on their persons. Soon after the lice stopped. I wonder what would have happened if they had fought it? I side with the school board on this one.

Looks like I spoke too soon - WI does permit waivers for licensed daycares. That said, I wouldn't take an unvaccinated child to a center. At most, I would go the in-home route.

mygirlsmom - ugh. Just...ugh. A child has a right to be in school, but surely not a right to be a public nuisance!

I worked at a home based preschool. We always had to have up to date immunization records for each child. If we were inspected and didn't my boss could have lost her childcare liscense. Admiting unimmunized children to a center or school is not worth the risk for most childcare providers when their livlihood is at stake.

My issue is that Addie had a severe reaction after her DTap shot, and I don't know that we will be willing to vaccinate on a regular schedule, with all her vaccines, or if we'll vaccinate at all.

My daughter had a reaction after one of her vaccines. Rather than halting all vaccines we choose to slow down the rate that she recieved them and she was fine after that. I know any reaction is scary, in this day in age getting some of these diseases is more scarry to me.

I empathize over your predicament. In August, I was having lung issues and they gave me the pneumonia shot, which sent me into the ICU for an evening. Not fun. Hope things work out.

MY OLDER SON LOST THE USE OF HIS LEG FOR 3 DAYS , IT BALOONED TO 3 TIMES THE SIZE, HE WAS IN AGONY HIS TEMP WAS 105 AND HIS WHITE COUNT WAS ASTRONOMICAL AFTER THE PREVNAR 13. i do not vaccinate now. i wish i knew then , what i know now, and they make it so you almost have NO choice. its a hard fight, an uphil battle, but i woud rather my son get chicken pox than have PREMANENT CONNECTIVE TISSUE DAMAGE AND AN AUTO IMMUNE RESPONSE THAT CAUSES ALLERGY CASCADES FOREVER.

Because your daughter had a reaction-I would recommend looking into allergy testing. Sometimes the allergy isn't to the actual vaccine component but another ingredient in the shot like eggs. Testing for allergic reactions to the components will allow you to know what caused the reaction so you can avoid just the shots that have that component. Sometimes alternative shots are available-especially if the reaction is to a preservative ingredient. Single dose shots usually have no preservatives or different preservatives and are often availble from the drug companies. It is also important to remeber that just because she had a reaction to one type of shot does not mean she will have a bad reaction to all of them. Many children have a mild-moderate or even severe reaction to one immunization but no reaction at all to the rest of their immunization shots. You should talk to her pediatrician about your concerns and see what he recommends.

oh, i love it when peopel are urged to "talk to the pediatrition". when it comes to vaccines! geez, the pediatritian is going to try to shove vaccines down your throat, tell you flat out lies about vaccines, and say you are a bad, or stupid parent if you dont want to vaccinate. thats their JOB. they get all sorts of kickbacks for pushing or using certain vaccines, vacations, incentives, all sorts of things. no one ever want s to aknowledge that though. they just turn a blind eye to it and refuse to believe its true. and then, you have a whole host of docs who are actually completely ignorant of the vaccine reactions! they dont know what the contraindications are and to top it all off dont know about the inggredients. they actually are completely ignorant of any of te facts and just parrot all they have been "told". my friend catherines doc told her not to believe all the things she hears about aborted fetal cells and how they can bind to your DNA. so the docs read a package insert and did a little research and found out all about it! she actually didnt know!
so i laugh when i hear someone saying "talk to the ped" because 9 times out of 10, the ped is a liar, ignorant, or just dont care and want their #s to look good. they will not listen to your concerns and will pooh pooh anything you have to say, because they are god and we are just lowly idiot parents, what could we possibly know?
please read this
http://www.thinktwice.com/stories.htm
http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Scandals/Feb_22_02/examples_of_resistance.ht m
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/vaccine.htm
http://vactruth.com/2012/04/29/monkeys-get-autism/
there are thousands more. so , are they all lying? are they all just making it up? was it all just coincidense? i dont see how it could be, to sugest that its all a cooincidense is pretty rediculous. ooh, how about just saying the reactions are sooooooooooooooooo rare, that its never going to happen to YOUR child. well, im here to tell you that it really IS NOT that rare, and percentages dont mean a thing when its YOUR child in a coma.
i hate to sound so combatative, but this is so serious, peopel need to look into all the info! most peds hand you a flyer and jab the kid. they tell you nothing. why do you think you have to sign for vaccines?
its all so awful. you dont want to believe it, but there it is.

prov31gal-I am sorry your son had a bad reaction to a vaccine and that you don't have a good supportive pediatrician. However, many if not most pediatricians are very knowledgable and are more than willing to accomodate patient perceptions and concerns. Just because your pediatrician wasn't well informed doesn't mean most aren't. I am well acquanted with numerous doctors and the vast majority of them are NOT receiving money, vacations, etc from drug companies. I realize you are very passionate about this, but most of us have had a very different experiences with vaccinations. It seems like because of one bad experience your entire perception of all doctors and medical personnel have been negatively affected. That is really a shame.

There is nothing wrong with advising people to 'talk their pediatricians' regarding vaccines. If they can't trust the ped's advice, then parents should find a ped they can trust. Not all peds are created equal. Some are good, some are bad. Some are open to alternative ideas, some are more conventional in their thinking. What makes *your* experience the guideline by which all patient-doctor interactions are measured? You had a bad experience with *one* ped. That does not equate to 90% of anything! I have an excellent ped who has demonstrated on more than one occasion that she respects my judgement as a mother. She explains things, I decide. No pushing involved. Following your example, I could assert that 90% of peds are excellent. However, neither one of us has *proof* to back up our opinion. (and no, I did not read the links. That is "proof" that vaccines can be dangerous. I am talking about "proof" that 90% of peds are in cahoots with the drug companies. Two different things.)

OP - talk to your ped. If you can't trust the ped to be honest, find one who is. They're out there, and I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that more than 10% of peds are honest.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders