What made you decide to do it?

When I was first told I had Ovarian Cancer Stage 3c they wanted me to do a clinical trial. I'm just wondering why some as asked to participate and others our not. Does any one have any answer? I chose not to do it because of all the side affects. Just wondering Maggie

10 replies. Join the discussion

I think they base asking on the permeters of the study. If you fit, they ask. I started my first chemo in a clinical study and ended up being kicked off because I needed neutrifils to fight an infection and took shots of neupigin while hospitalized. Also my liver enzymes became elevated outside of the perameters. It is a personal choice. I tried, and ended up on standard chemo.
Cheryl

My doctors tried to find a study I would qualify for because they thought it was important that I do some type of maintenance. I did not qualify for any they had though, except for one that was filled, so I am stuck with the option of going to another hospital or doing just taxol as my maintenance. At first I did not want to be part of a test study, but there are so many that are showing promise.

I decided to go on a Study. The thing with the Study that I was on you were no sure if you were getting the Study Drug or a Placebo. Also, while on the Study, you had to be careful on what other medication you were on. My Rheumatogist had put me on a prescription, but had to go on something else the Study would not allow me to take it. I ended up leaving the Study because my CA125 was going up and I decided that in my case, my Health and what could be done for me was more important than the Study.

I chose to do a clinical study in the second chemo after recurrence. There was no placebo involved, just the drugs. I will be followed for three years at least. It was fine for me.

I am on a trial at the moment. I don't know if I am on the drug or a placebo. I was chosen because I had not progressed after first line chemo. Thats what the consent form said. Sounds good. I am on phase three of the trial. I read up on the drug and they have had some good results so far. So I thought why not give it a go. If I am on the drug and it does what they hope it will do "great". I also have to be careful what other medication I take. I am monitored a lot more than I would have been if I had chosen not to participate.
So I think that is a good thing. It was not an easy choice to make. I hope I made the right one.
Take care
Julie

I agreed to be on a clinical trial which I have not started it is for BIBF 1120 in combo with carboplatin and pacitaxel. The doctor told me if I do not feel comfortable with it I can drop out and I still will be treated with my standard chemo, I am hoping it will help, it is a very personal decision and you have to do what you feel is right for you

I went on a trial because of two reasons, One the drug avastin is very expensive and my insurance would not pay for it and two the doctor convinced me that I would be helping other woman in the future by this drug even tho avastin has been around for awhile and has helped other cancers like brain cancer , they have not used it enough on ovarian to know for sure if it can do the job. I was on it for a year and it stopped working for me just before the last dose. The cancer started growing again so they had to stop the trial. They then put me on carbo only and after number 4 I started having reactions so they took me off of that. I now have to wait for a cat scan to see if the cancer is going to stop growing. I had no side afects from avastn. Thank you Paula

I have been offered a trial to commence a few weeks after my last chemo (I have just had No.3 of 6). The fact that, like Kurri, I will be monitored more regularly, with blood tests and scans, influenced my decision.
cheers,
Shirley

I entered a blind blind trial but I got bumped off because the free CAT scan two months into it showed my OVCA had recurred. I am glad I was on it cuz my regular CAT wasn't due to be given for a few more months, so this tumor was detected because of the trial's CAT.

I'd go on any trial again...no question....even though a few friends have commented that the trial only benefits the researchers not you. Duh, if it's a successful trial and a new drug shows promise, it certainly benefits me and many others! Sometimes I just wish people would keep their opinions to themselves. (not you ladies, of course.)

I can only answer for how Clinical Trials are availed here in Nova Scotia, Canada
WHen a paitient is diagnosed, based on the pathology & the qualifying criteria set forth...
determines whether or not YOU or I are even a candidate for a trial.
what I found out is this also- which disterbed me....
where I live a certain number of paitients every year are allocated to be " clinical trial" candidates.. - teh hospital offerring the trial gets a certain $$ by participating in the trial.
which made me very angry to laern if I said yes
$ 30,000 extra would go to my doctors, reserach group or department...
I thought and none of that $$$$$$$$$$$ actaulyl goes to the paitient to help live every day... or for teh expenses one incurrurs when battlign cancer

ok.. soooooooo the benefit to me was??

a new drug called Avastin....
I could say yes i want to pariticipate.. and then my records & tests every moth become a statistic officially in teh clinical trial
but it did not guarantee I go the drug...
or not
I found out when teh coin was flipped I was to one who did not get teh drug.,..
I'd just get the usual chemos
mmmmm
at that point as a fmaily we dicussed the value to me.. or us.. in pariticipating..
it meant having chemo before christmas
and spenindg possible christmas day... very ill as it would ahve been day 3
we deiced i;d wait to start chemo for anotehr 3 weeks...
and then i didnt qualitfy to be apart of th study group
but I was sooooooooooooooooooglad I waited
because my day 3& 4 where filled with awful Bone pain,..... and I was allergic to the taxol and was red like a cooked LOBSTER.... thus I had a terrible 14 days.. after my first treatment.

I wanted to help my sisiters with OVA with my study results.. but since I was not going to get avastin.. then why be apart of the study.. and so on...

just our experience shared

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders