tpd

my girlfriend is 65 .....she recently complained about pevic pain and pelvic swollenness. With no diagnosis she was given a ca 125 test and results are normal....Question: what are the probabilities that she has ovarian cancer and if so, what are the probabilities it can be in a late stage?

6 replies. Join the discussion

Not sure what the stats are but just wanted to say that my CA125 was within the normal range right before my surgery where stage 2 cancer was found. Your girlfriend should see a gynecologic oncologist for a work up. I hope to hell she doesn't have cancer!
Lisa59

Absolutely agree with Maggie - first hope and PRAY she doesn't have this cancer...but, she should ask for further testing. Either an ultrasound or a CT Scan. Many of these test are inconclusive, but are the necessary first steps. If she does not have insurance, she should immediately get covered BEFORE any test are taken. I had coverage with Blue Shield of California (PPO) 15 days before I was diagnosed with Stage 3C and I pray every day that I had this. They have covered my bills for over seven years now.

I live in a suburb of Chicago and I can be of some help if your friend is interested.
Helen
Diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer in 1987.
Recurrence in 1993
Last treatment 1994.
Treated at Northwestern

Please insist on more testing. I went 17 months with a Dr. Who had me have MRI's and ultra sounds, saw the pelvic mass, but said it would probably go away after menopause. I was 55 then. It was lucky for me that insurance changes forced me into a change of Dr's. I now lean toward suggesting seeking a female gynocologist, as in my case she expressed alarm and pursued a course that lead to surgery. A borderline tumor was discovered and a complete hysto. I did not have elevated ca125 or other blood levels at that time. I now see a gyno-oncologist every 3 months.

I also live in the Chicago suburb of Long Grove, not far from Helen. I had surgery march 3 2011 at northwest community hospital.

Ovarian cancer is an uncommon cancer, so I would say the odds are it's not that. But if it were, most ovarian cancers are already in a late stage when found. And she's at the typical age for OC. Whatever is going on she's uncomfortable, and I would find out what's wrong.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders