Stevie Wicker

I'm not sure where to start. I just recently became very familiar with ovarian cancer. My son who is 22 graduated with a girl who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was only 19 yrs old her name is Stevie Wicker. I have watched this girl bravely battle this disease only to lose her fight on Aug 30, 2011 at the age of 22. I didn't personally know this girl, only through my son who was friends with her, but her death has left a hole in my heart. The main reason I am posting this is I want to do something for this family. Stevies death has put a huge financial strain on her family and i want to help them, but i don't know how. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a way of doing a fundraiser or something to raise money to help this family. does anyone have any ideas?

14 replies. Join the discussion

I don't have any good ideas for you but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your loss. Just a baby. I hate this disease. Next week I am participating in an ovarian cancer walk so I will add Stevie to the Lisa of others who have lost their battle.

On Sunday nights all of us on Inspire light a candle for those sisters who have passed on due to this disease. I just read your posting and am lighting an extra candle for Stevie and her family, and your son. The candle's glow is a prayer for their comfort and healing. Dear Stevie is among the angels who are now watching over and comforting those of us who are living and I know who will join her. Blessings to you. Thank you for sharing this with us so we may remember her and be comforted by her presence in our own healing.

thank you so much, i saw where u were preparing a list but i wasn't sure if it was too late to add her or not.

thank you

So sad for such a young woman. I wil be saying a prayer for her family.

Hi, sooo sorry about Stevie...one thought is perhaps go to a local bank and start a fund in her name to help her family ...and then call your local news and tell her story and ask for donations, include the name of the bank. (of course the trustee would be her Mom or whomever would be receiving the donations to put to use for whatever their needs are, i.e. funeral, ect..)

Prayers going up for you all.
Love,Kim

So very sad, I read her obit and saw she had a 5 year old son Noah. The blessing would be for a fundraiser to raise money for family and son and also raise awareness.

Kim's suggestion is a good one. This story needs to be told to not only raise money for the family, but to make the public aware that this disease can also claim the lives of our young people! I will include the family in my prayers.
Pat

Lisa,

We need to be LOUD FOR STEVIE WICKER AND ALL WHO SUFFER FROM THIS silent killer. It may be silent but we don't have to be. She was too young and life is precious.

Bob

Kim's ideas (wannaknow) is spot on. And if you are successful in getting that arranged and getting her story on the local news, then go to one of your local bars/pizza places where university kids hang out and see if they would be willing to host a fundraiser night for this family with half the proceeds going to the fund. Go to the universities, colleges, (especially the private ones) and put up posters announcing a 'beer and pizza' night with proceeds going to Stevie's kids and family.

Good luck with this! People have no idea how devastating the cost of being sick can be to a family. And that it goes on in this country I frankly find it appalling. As I've said before, congress can raise tons of money to save a lizard in Texas and other ridiculous pork barrel spending projects, but human lives don't seem to be at the top of their list.

Yup I had great success and made it on the front
Page of the Milwaukee Journal. Sept. Is Ovarian cancer month
And they might take it up as a human interest story.

Good luck and many prayers to you all!

Marty

I'm so sorry to hear something like this. Honestly, I feel so fortunate to have made it to 50! It is nice to raise some money to help the family. But also please consider making a contribution to Ovarian Cancer in her name to honor her and let the family know. If we all contribute we can save each other and others coming after us. Most cancer research facilities will have a fund specifically for ovarian cancer.

OMG! How awful!

I've always wanted to do a fundraiser for someone else, but, wasn't sure what to do either. A party or auction might help.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders