lack of taste with chemo

I was wondering what types of chemo do no effect your taste. I know taxol does. I also know I will probably be on different chemos the rest of my life and need to know which one of these you can keep yours taste. I love food and cooking, making up new recipes etc, but without taste this is hard. What about doxel or gemzar. Not sure of the spelling but close. Even avistin. Oh, also I saw my Dr. briefly yesterday and asked him about my glass and 1/2 of wine. a day. I told him I like to sip wine while I cook and he laughed and said as long as I don't get sloshed I would be fine. It would even relax me and also has some benefits. Peggy

14 replies. Join the discussion

Currently I'm on Avastin and Cistplatin and I only have a slight taste change, nothing like when I was on Carboplatin and Taxotere.

I had then and still have now a cool minty taste in my mouth and the food flavors are less pronounced but still there.

When I lost my taste with the Carbo/Taxotere I noticed eating a variety of textured foods helped make up for the loss of taste and kept me eating.

Enjoy your glass and a half!

thanks peggy

I started losing my taste after my surgery. They say that can last for a couple months due to anesthesia. I had no taste during taxol/carbo. I still can taste ok with gemzar and doxil. I had a 5 month remission after the carbo/taxol so maybe that break is what brought my taste back

I had no taste after surgery and while taking the first few chemos with taxol/carbo. Funny thing was, I used to love chocolate, red vines etc. and I was addicted to diet coke/coke zero for years, but couldnt drink that anymore. It was really hard for me to eat or drink anything. Taste started coming back around the 3rd round of chemo. Now I am on Taxol (started 2 weeks ago) and again, have lost my taste for sweets and for Coke, but unfortunately not my appetite, actually eating more than ever (and I had gained over 40! pounds since last year) Even when I am feeling nausea I am hungry and actually feeling better eating, go figure.

I have only had carbo/taxol. I had what I want to describe as a "metallic" taste. What is so funny is how do I know what metal tastes like? lol... For me to say that should mean that I know what metal tastes like! hehe..... But anyway, I am addicted to my diet soda, but for a few days after chemo, I couldn't stomach it. I once took a big bite of egg Mcmuffin which I had to spit out! But, your taste goes back to normal. Wont be spitting out any Mcmuffins now!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replys, but without taste I still can't eat very much. Just enough to keep me going. My taste came back after last chemo and I am going to make sure my Dr. puts me on a chemo next time that will not effect taste. Peggy

I could taste on Doxil - in fact, I had little to no side effects on Doxil, and you get to have hair.

Forget the Egg McMuffins, come to the
"To all my sisters here..." discussion post, we're having a Mexican party!!!

that sounds wonderful. I will tell my Doctor. I just hope I can have that at my next chemo. Still have to get through this one and hope to have some remission time inbetween.

Hi Peggy,
I had a strange taste in my mouth during carbo/taxol and food didn't taste right. I lost 40lbs. which I slowly regained after chemo ended.

On Topotecan I had no problem eating or flavor of food. In fact I found it an easy chemo drug to tolerate and it worked for 8 months, reducing the tumors and the CA125.

Now I'm on Gemzar and it doesn't affect my eating, except that I've been gaining a little weight even though I eat the same.

My oncologist also said that I'll be on cheme the rest of my life, I'm staged 4B epithelial OVCA.

Feel good and have a pleasant weekend.
Jane

thanks for your input. Peggy

I am on bleomycin/etoposide/cisplatin. My taste buds are affected but only for about 5 days after my last day of treatment, then they return until the next round.

how often are you on chemo????

I have my chemo for 5 days straight (in the hospital...blah) then I come home for 2 weeks, 3 if my white count is too low, then I go back for 5 more. I have to do this a total of 3 times and I only have 1 round left!! My combo is known as BEP. It is used to treat germ cell tumors, mine was dysgerminoma. All of my side effects are gone after the 5th day, except hair loss of course. From reading of the experiences of others on this sight and friends of mine that have had breast cancer, my drug combo is a piece of cake to deal with compared to others I know, so I am very grateful for that.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders