Hospice and traveling to Hawaii

Hi,

I just arrived home from a 10 day trip to Hawaii, Kona on the Big island.

My first recurrence began 5 months ago after 3.5 yr remission.

Here in southern Oregon...I started Hospice in my home.
My nurse set me up with Hospice there...she ordered all the oxygen gear, wheelchair, etc delivered to our condo prior to our arrival

She came to visit me the next day and was just amazing.
She ordered prescriptions that my hubby picked up nearby.

This past Thursday evening we learned about the Japanese tsunami. Our hotel was going to evacuate originally, so we began to pack.

Five minutes later we felt a strong earthquake! In our condo on the 3rd floor of the building. We were then advised to stay up until 3 am when the report would be evaluated form tiny little Wake Island five or six hours west of us.

Also we had the big volcano acting up filling new islands of laval foam off the east Hilo side of the island. We ended up staying on the condo 3rd floor.

Friday we monitored the local televisions based on Oahu.
We drove south that afternoon to the village of Kona for early dinner. Moderate damage to two major hotels, both. Of which were still closed yesterday.

We never saw any reporters, news crews, etc, all week-end. With the vast coasts of Maui and Big Island, I personally doubt first rumors of little damage.

This whole Pacific rim problems generated by mother nature and by man(nuclear) Will greatly influence Japanese economy and also ours. Please send prayers to all...they really need it!

Judie Heintz

13 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Judie, I did not realize that the quake was also felt in Hawaii. They never talk about it in the news! I read about the volcano though.
I am glad that you are back safe and sound. It is awesome that they could set up hospice care for you over there. Hope you enjoyed your stay anyway!
We visited the islands about 15 years ago and loved it, especially the Big Island.
How are you feeling?

The Big Island is the best--I still treasure memories of a trip there years about to visit a friend who was staying in a rented farmhouse on a coffee plantation.

Best to you with your health challenges.
Lisa

Glad you are back, Judie.

Yes, I think our problems are small compared to the Japanese disaster.

Eileen

Hi Judie,
I'm interested in the Hawaiian situation as we leave AZ for 10 days on Maui, my personal R&R each year to celebrate survival. I've been somewhat concerned with the nuclear situation and any wind drift of radiation exposure, but the owner of the condo we'll stay in said the tsunami didn't damage the condo since it's on the 6th floor. Interesting you felt the earthquake.

I'm sorry to hear your remission has ceased and now are in Hospice care. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you during this time.

Laurel

Hi,

Your risk of radiation exposure is slim to none...however if the condo is on the East side of Maui you might feel a little more comfortable.

Our earthquake there on big island not same one as the Japanese one that caused the tsunami. Maui and big island got the most surge.

You have great credentials...In the 80's, I was heavily involved in Minnesota as a county chair and community member non-medical reviewing all the protocols used by the local hospital as we brought in our first med onc and linear accelerator and therapeutical radiologist.

Have fun in Hawaii...my husband and I were married on Maui 32 yrs ago. We go yearly after basing ourselves in San Diego and Southern. Oregon the past 24 yrs.

I feel pretty good but have to limit activity to reduce pain...I am also 65!

Judie

Hi,

Limited activity to beds and chairs which helps control pain, vertigo. I use wheelchairs at the airports which really makes a difference!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for replying

Judie

Thanks, you are correct!

Judie

Hi Judie

I am happy you were able to travel to Hawaii. We traveled there in February. A lot of the locals told us that when disaster hits Hawaii that it is very poorly reported. I think they feel forgotten.

Prayers to you.

Thanks so much for writing about your trip to Hawaii! What an incredible spirit you have! We are going to Maui in November and my husband and I are counting the days. It is my favorite to visit in the world. Also read your post on hospice and really appreciate you starting a discussion on it. It is something NONE of us want to think about but believe so much it also makes it so much easier on our families also. Take good care of yourself!

i don't understand hospice exactly. i was dx 4 years ago and have had 3 recurrances but am living normally-and after the first recurrance -there is no hope? this is very scary

You seem to be NED or no evidence of disease. That is wonderful! Obviously your recurrences were successful treated.

I could not tolerate more chemo after the first treatment in my recurrence. The CURE was and remains worse than the disease in my case.

We are preparing for a miracle to happen...in the meantime living as healthy as possible!

i am not ned-but i do respond to chemo. i pray that you will live a long time without treatment-i took 2 alternative things that i think helped immensely---haelen 951 and rm 10 ultra-you might want to goggle them. thank you for your answer.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders