FDA isn't listening-time to turn up the heat regarding supplements!

A champion of supplements in the House sends a warning to FDA. Persuade others in Congress to join him with our Action Alert! http://www.anh-usa.org/fda-isnt-listening/ Please sign petition ASAP if you care about your supplements!

10 replies. Join the discussion

On it. Thanks for the heads-up.

But--do we want that type of paperwork burden, and its costs, added to supplement manufacturers? What are the unintended consequences? Expensive supplement testing by the supplement manufactures? Small companies that can't afford added expenses might be forced out of business.

Natural substances can't be patented. Pharmaceutical companies can't make lots of money from them and probably do not want the competition from them. I am not familiar with this issue, but from past experience wonder about who controls or manipulates regulation agencies such as the FDA. A number of high level FDA officials are from Monsanto and appear to write regulations to benefit their former employer, big pharma, and agribusiness.

When I have questions about supplements, food dangers, disease, or medications, I search the internet for health risks & benefits as a first step. I also consult doctors, pharmacists, and others as necessary, and make a decision about using it. Is this legislation needed?

Here is more on the issue for those who do not know what is really at stake here:

http://www.anh-usa.org/fda-guidelines-a-perversion-of-congressional-intent/

I did sign the petition.

Natural girl-please elaborate. I am not understanding, I want to understand but I am not-I would like safe supplements-I would like to know what is in them, just like my food.

Did you really know what was in your tamoxifen? Did you care then? Supplements you can goggle and find out what ingredients are listed. You also need to use common sense. Obviously if you go to Walmart and go for the cheapies they may not be the best.
Do you know that come orange juice concentrates on the shelves right now that are processed in brazil have a fungicide in them that is illegal to use in the United States? Did you know that those which the FDA would not remove from the shelves could possibly cause liver cancer down the road depending on what your levels are? Are you happy with FDA? Do you think they will save you from all of the msg's, additives, high fructose corn syrup, yeast extract products just because those products make millions of dollars? Sign or don't sign but don't complain later when you finally decided to take fish oil and it isn't either available or it is so expensive you can't afford it.

TP,
When I read about this the first go around, I found that although the new proposed regulations say they are for regulating food additives, it gives the FDA the power to make many of the readily available supplements we can get now difficult, or impossible to get. This even includes such items as fish oil and CoQ-10. I don't know about you, but I want to have the option to obtain these things legally instead of on the black market.

You can chill.....I was just asking cause I didn't know, and NO, I did not know about the harmful side effects of Tamoxifen-I was a blind bat going in and played follow the leader-that's why I ask questions now-that's why I stay informed-and I am NOT happy with the FDA-my God, look at the baby food fiasco from last night's news headlines! Organic food labelers should be held accountable to the highest degree because consumers are paying those higher prices for safer food, and I do it everyday with my organic food, supplements, hygenic products, etc., but I also want to know if the fish oil I take is actually pure fish oil and not some GMO and synthetic oil mixed with soybean. Where do you live? Did you know in California, they shot down the law to start labeling fish (not salmon-all others) that was Gentically modified so the consumer could tell the difference between a wild caught fish versus the GMO farm fish. Anything on your packages that say from Canada should be questioned also even though we here how health conscious they are, they still import tons of fresh fish each year from all over the world. I don't know what the answer is-that is why I ask questions, that is all. I do know this, come springtime, I am starting up my own raised bed backyard garden-Question: Is anyone regulating organic dirt or am I going to have to pay a high price for something that say's it is organic and get manure from a commercial GMO cow and dairy farm? I believe tighter regulations are in order for this day and age as they're are too many scams going on that so many consumers fall victim too, even in the medical industry-remember the Holy Grail? Duke U??? Checks and balances are there for a reason and if those aren't working then we need tighter more stringent checks and balances.

TP,
My post was not meant to be personal. Sorry if you took it that way. Below is the link Naturalgirl posted the first time around. I didn't explain the issue as well as the article does
;\http://www.naturalnews.com/032912_FDA_dietary_supplements.html

My reply was not mean to insult anyone. But when has any doctor, any medical oncologist explained the real side effects of any pharmaceutical drugs. What gets me is most people think that is ok but when it comes to pretty much safe supplements you are not trusting? Most deaths in this country occur by hospitals and drugs not supplementation. But again if you want to see what ingredients are in them-they seem to be listed. And again where you get them from is just as important as where you get your pharmaceuticals from. You should be able to intelligently investigate what ingredients are in them. Having the FDA regulate will not make them any safer or better but more expensive-A lot of the smaller supplement providers will be out of business if this new draft goes through. I am not claiming you need to believe me or not-that is your personal decision. It is also your personal decision to sign the petition or not. But don't come back and tell everyone how expensive your supplements are now--if it goes through vitamin d3 which is now the cheapest supplement there is will be 3-4 times more expensive. If you like that, then be content. If you don't sign the petition.

I'm not offended, that's why I asked. And I didn't say I wouldn't sign, I just want to understand what I'm signing. I paid $178.00 for 2 weeks worth of organic meat (grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics or added colors) I paid $12.00 for 1 free range, grass fed 2lb. chicken and I bought a $5.00 can of wild caught Alaskan Salmon, oh and $6.00 for my free range/grass fed chicken eggs-I do this because I am concerned now, more than ever, what goes into my body. I don't think debating my treatment choices are relevant so let's just respectfully leave that alone. But as far as these smaller companies in jeopardy, if they comply like everyone else than they have nothing to worry about. If it's a good and effective product, it will have a following and it will sell. I would believe the label more than "Googling it" in cyber space for everyone to edit. And a price increase is just speculation, where is this proof that we are not going to be able to afford our supplements? The economy changes everyday, look at our gasoline prices-up and down, down and up! There are too many products coming through American packing houses and the labels say "Packed in the USA" but the product, let's just say garlic oil, was shipped over from China in a liquid cargo container and dropped off in an American port where the packers picked it up, pumped it into little gel capsules for the consumer's convenience-now does that sound safe to you? Cancer's in China are rising at a staggering rate because of the pollution alone. The green teas that come from there are dried out on acres of arsenic, chemical laden and polluted soil-does that sound "Pretty much safe" to you? So if I have to pay more to know if my product is = A. Made in the USA/not just packed here B. Quality Control Standards. Then I will pay more.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders