CA125 down

I just got a call from the Drs. office yesterday telling me my Ca125 went down to 16. I started chemo mid Oct. with a 93. Since it is so low I was wondering if I should have my chemo reduced. I don't see the Dr. for two weeks but I am going in every week on taxol/carbo. Carbo every three weeks. The last scan showed two very small spots on my liver and pancreas. That was two months ago. Am I considered in remission again? This is my first recurrence after 18 months.

7 replies. Join the discussion

You will likely need to continue treatment full dose. The only time I have heard of dose reductions is when there were problems with side effects (low blood count) or allergic reactions.

I'd say the same thing. When I started chemo after my surgery the CA125 was 24. Technically that is in the normal range but it did go down to 12 during the chemo and another point or two in the months following the chemo. I would say give it the best change of the longest remission and stick with the plan.

thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but just wishful thinking. I guess you have to do what you have to do. Peggy

Peggy,

I have heard of patients asking to have the taxol removed, because of its long-term and short-term side effects. You may want to ask your onc about the latest research on taxol. Be sure he gives you the cons on using taxol as well as the pros.

P.S. Congratulations on the drop! How wonderful to know the treatment is working!

again, thank you all for the responses. It really helped, and I am going to ask about the taxol.

I doubt the doctor will change your chemo dose. Just because the number went down doesn't mean it can't to back up. You need to finish the complete course of treatment. Cutting the chemo dose is usually because of problems with side effects that need to calm down, not the CA125 dropping midway. I'm sure your doctor knows exactly what is appropriate for your situation.

As for remission - something we all wish for - I think you'd have to be in the normal range for a while and not just one reading. But it sounds like you are well on the way and I wish you continued good news.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders