Anyone heard of this treatment? Sounds promising

Have been searching the internet as I do every night. I'm on Doxil and Avastin after second recurrence and finding out I'm platinum resistant. I googled the following: Chemo with longest survival rate for OVCA.
This is what popped upL Effect of mifepristone used alone or with cisplatin chemotherapy on human ovary cancer cell growth
by Freeburg, Elizabeth McKay, Ph.D., University of South Dakota, 2008, 163 pages; AAT 3351178
Abstract (Summary)

Ovarian cancer (OvCa) causes more deaths than any other gynecologic malignancy. It is usually diagnosed at late stages and patients require cytoreductive surgery followed by platinum-based chemotherapy. However, the efficacy of platinum derivatives is hindered by their elevated toxicity, the development of tumor tolerance to the drugs, and the regrowth or repopulation of tumor cells between treatment intervals. Hence, search for new measures to enhance the efficacy of platinum derivatives for OvCa is imperative. Preclinical studies in our laboratory have demonstrated that the antiprogestin steroid, mifepristone (MF), is effective as a single agent in vitro and in vivo inhibiting growth of human epithelial OvCa cells. MF induces a reversible blockage of the cell cycle at the G1-to-S transition and a strong inhibition of cyclin dependent kinase 2 (Cdk2) activity. Based on these data and the fact that Cdk2 is frequently up-regulated in ovarian tumors, this project was developed to test the hypothesis that MF enhances the efficacy of platinum-based therapy--utilizing cisplatin (CDDP) as a prototype. First, we sought to determine if the cytostatic concentrations of MF prevents repopulation of OvCa cells occurring between CDDP treatment intervals. Evidence is presented on the generation of an in vitro model of OvCa repopulation between CDDP rounds, its efficient abrogation by MF, and the apparent enhancement of CDDP-induced toxicity by MF. Secondly, we asked whether the toxicity of MF occurred regardless of the degree of sensitivity developed by the OvCa cells to CDDP, and of the status of the p53 tumor suppressor gene. Evidence is presented suggesting that MF-induced cytotoxicity involving cytostasis at low concentrations, and caspase-associated apoptotic lethality at high concentrations, does not correlate with the sensitivity of the cells to CDDP, and appears to be independent of the p53 genetic status. Overall, our studies provide evidence to suggest that MF used either alone or together with CDDP has the potential to improve OvCa treatment success. Using MF therapy in association with, and after platinum chemotherapy, may significantly improve the 5 year survival rate for OvCa, and conceivably convert this lethal cancer into a treatable chronic disease.

So I'm wondering anyone ever on this trial? Any other info?

14 replies. Join the discussion

very interesting. I often wonder what happens to these trials that seem to go nowhere once published.. perhaps no profit at hand?

this is the abortion, or morning after pill, by the way.

Linda

@ Seadream....really! The morning after pill....well I want to abort my cancer cells! I just found this article published a couple of days ago:

Mifepristone (MF) has been largely used in reproductive medicine due to its capacity to modulate the progesterone receptor (PR). The study of MF has been expanded to the field of oncology; yet it remains unclear whether the expression of PR is required for MF to act as an anti-cancer agent. Our laboratory has shown that MF is a potent inhibitor of ovarian cancer cell growth. In this study we questioned whether the growth inhibitory properties of MF observed in ovarian cancer cells would translate to other cancers of reproductive and non-reproductive origin and, importantly, whether its efficacy is related to the expression of cognate PR.

So much stuff in trials that sound so promising but then we never hear anything else about them!

Here is link to Abstract: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2407/11/207

very interesting. All this stuff happening - makes me hopeful, and tells me that we just to "hang around" till we reach the next corner. One corner at a time. We don't necessarily need to achieve permanent remission in one fell swoop!

oh, I did not realize this was current! saw the 2008 date above and assumed....

here is the whole article which was on several types of cancer....

Linda
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2407-11-207.pdf

You can buy the 'morning after' pill at CVS. Over the counter. Called One Step or something. It's $40.

This is very interesting and does sound very promising. If you click on the link you will see the research article, which was submitted in Jan. The abstract is 38 pages. One of their goals was to prove that Mifepristone worked in cancers that were not progestin dependent. They showed that it wasn't which is very good news in that MF was shown to work in 10 different cancers.

This seems to be new research and hasn't made it to the clinical trial stage, yet. The article says the research was done invitro and invivo. I didn't read the whole article, but I'm assuming it was tested on animals.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2407-11-207.pdf

("In vivo (Latin for "within the living") is experimentation using a whole, living organism as opposed to a partial or dead organism, or an in vitro ("within the glass", i.e., in a test tube or petri dish) controlled environment. Animal testing and clinical trials are two forms of in vivo research.")

I keep feeling positive that better treatments are just around the bend that will enable us to live with OC as a treatable chronic illness.

Here's an ongoing trial: GOG-0170K
http://www.trialscentral.org/mifepristoneintrea-condtrid-93841.htm

The page says the trial is active but not recruiting.

This abstract, from 2000, is from a trial which used mifepristone for ovarian tumors which were resistant to cisplatin and taxol:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10831354

Here's the abstract from the results of the trial: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19922989

The article was published in 2010. I couldn't get the full text. The abstract concludes it doesn't work.

This is one reason I am taking Femara - I am hoping taking Femara which blocks both Estrogen and Progestrone will be an added benefit during chemo treatment and a maintenance program after chemo.

PeacefulZen,
I am also on Doxil (had only one treatment so far) and given that I have a high EGFR and VEGF expression I was always wondered about adding Avastin. I was wondering if the treatment is working for you? Any problems/side-effects so far?

Also, I keep reading that you should avoid exercise while on Doxil (to prevent the hand and foot syndrome) but I would love use the elliptical or to run a little. Are you exercising since you started the treatment? Any suggestions?

Hugs and may God bless you with a loooooooong remission.

Hi Blue, I am on muy 5th treatment today. My Ca125 isn't a good indicator it has remained at 3 since my original treatment...this is my 2nd recurrence. I have a CT today. I have continued to play tennis...took a hot bath this morning prior to the Doxil I will be getting today....then I do not bath or shower for 12 days...just sponge bath. I have had some burning hands and they get a little chapped, but I just keep a lot of creme on them. A tube in my car, by my bed at work, constantly putting it on. Side effects haven't been bad. I will see today if it is working...I have mets to liver and lymph nodes.
Take care, stay strong!
Peace!

Well, just found out that the spot on my liver is now several and the largest is 1.7 X 1.5 cm so the doctor is taking me off the Doxil and we started a form of taxol that is bound in protein that I will get weekly with the Avastin.

soooooo sorry to hear about the spots on the liver... I was wondering if you considered cryo or radio frecq. ablation?
big big hug and lots of love sent your way

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support OCNA

Help the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance

Discussion topics

Support OCNA

Donate to OCNA

Community leaders