Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

irrigating

Have a question. If I irrigate will it clean out the whole colon. I need some relief.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Hi hockeymom01,

I irrigate, and yes, up to a point it will. the whole large intestine should be cleaned out with the exception of some residue left behind. It depends on what type of relief you are trying to achieve. Bloating and such should be as long as the culprit is in the large intestine. The small will be affected because it will, or should cause the intestines to move. Hope this helps.
Talk with your doctor or WOCN, before proceeding so they can give you tips and help.

Hockeymom:

Be sure you are well hydrated when you irrigate. If not, the large intestine will absorb water and irrigation will be less effective in cleaning you out. Drink plenty of warm water before you irrigate. This should help. Lets us know how you do….

JEG

I would definitely consult a DR prior to irrigation since you dont know what is causing the issuesyou are having. Good luck, i hope it works for you:)!

thanks for the tip JEG. I will make sure I drink a lot. and chriswife my doctor said it's ok to do it. I just hope it helps.

WooHoo!!!! I really hope this helps you! Please let us know how it goes, and let me know if it is difficult to do in case I want to attempt it in the future......I am not the most coordinated person....lol

kerri

JED how much should I drink cause they r coming over hopefully today or tomorrow but hoping today

and will hot apple cider work it doesn't have sugar in it.

Well they can't get anyone to come here today :(

hockeymom:

The amount water you drink can vary. It's a trial and error depending on your metabolism. If you are a heavy water ( or other fluids) drinker, you may not need to drink much. On the other hand, if you are "not" a heavy drinker you may need to consume more water. It just depends on how hydrated you are when you irrigate. Ask your health care nurse as to what he/she would recommend. I drink two glasses of warm water before I irrigate and it works well. Good luck.... You'll do fine....

JEG

Hockeymom:

Has irrigating worked for you?

JEG

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders