Save 15% on Ostomysecrets with promo code SPRING

GI Doctors mixup

I just received a follow up in mail: We need to schedule your annual colonoscopy appointment. Funny. ha Ha. Had Ileostomy in February.

25 replies. Join the discussion

Ooops!

Last year I was reminded to do the annual colon cancer screening. I wrote and said that I had an an ileostomy because my colon and large intestine had been removed. OK you guessed. This year I got a reminder to do screening - but some genius had added - "Although you have told us you don't need this procedure, you will remain on the list until you complete the correct form" Maybe we can start a new joke genre!

What is it with the doctors you guys are seeing?
I remember a similar situation. It involved a woman I used to work with. Every month she would get a bill from this business that she owed $0.00. Of course, she just tore up the bill and threw it away. Then she began to get the nasty letters and the threats that if she didn't pay what was owed ($0.00) she was going to be taken to court. She called to no avail. She threatened to no avail. The bills just kept coming. Finally, out of frustration she wrote a check for, you guessed it, $0.00 and she never heard from them again. Is that strange or what?
Blessings,
Alan

yah my pharmacy sent me a bill for .41 and the stamp cost him .45 duh you see me for meds at least once a month just wait and I will get it to you. automation

Well folks - I got a Medicare statement that showed $1400 paid to each of 2 anaesthesioligists for putting me out for an hour-long surgery in April for (of all things!) partial removal of vulva!!! I had never even heard of the referring surgeon, and certainly did not have that surgery. That would have been adding insult to injury on top of my ileostomy! And - why in hell would anyone want to trim that? I hope it wasn't just for vanity's sake.

Anyway, turns out there is another patient in Boca Raton, which is just north of where I live, with the same name and the hospital was the same one where I had my surgery in December.

Hugs to all.
Marge

So, Marge, did they mix the two of you up? Wouldn't surprise me.
Blessings,
Alan

They sure did - but not before I reported them to Medicare! I wonder how long it was before that other one could sit! LOL

Oh Alan That was so funny. It feels good to laugh. Thankyou for sharing that. Bless you, have a wonderful rest tonight.
Carey

Marge, maybe it was getting flabby, but medicare doesnt cover cosmetic surgery.
Carey

Wouldn't it be great if flabby vulva was the worst of our problems! LOL

Alan, luv this story!! LOL!!

Herbsgal, I work in an OB/Gyn office - many legitimate medical reasons (besides flabby vulva) for trimming it, but won't go into detail! What worries me is someone's HIPAA rights could have been compromised if any patient name or address other than your own was on that statement you received. And did this other patient with same name ever get any of your statements?? Aside from the legal aspect, too funny about the trim for vanity's sake!!

Alan, not always the doctors who are at fault but their staff! With EMR, flags are put in place and reports are generated from these flags. So if the flag was not removed after surgery, yup, you guessed it - your name will show up on the report! People get paid to do their jobs but not always doing them well!!

HappyS, did you ever get the "right form" to complete?? Should try to get that done as quickly as possible!! LOL!!

Su-z - I found the referring doctor in the phone book - never heard of him before - and told them and their billing department that they had the wrong person - they promised to correct it, and I did not receive any more bills, so I assume it has been taken care of.

Marge

Herbsgal,

Glad to hear this. Federal HIPAA laws are strict but some individual states are even more so and feds lean to state law when it is more strict than the federal HIPAA law. Hope they contacted the other person to advise a possible breach of HIPAA rights. It's a very strict law.

Su-Z

SU, yes I got the form - ridiculous waste of money! I'm worried about the flags - they stick them Where? - OK just kidding, have a good week end.

I just got a bill from Edgepark for $85 of supplies from November 2009. It's been almost three years and I am a bit confused as to why they are billing me now. Even more confusing is that I reached my full reimbursement level in May of that year. So it should have been fully covered. And now I have to take my time to get it all straightened out and get a refund for $28 from this May that they overcharged me for.....sigh!!

Linda, aren't such things a pain in the behind?!! I know mistakes happen but they shouldn't. Just a big aggravation.
Blessings,
Alan

Linda - I was dealing with Edgepark and had them switch some barriers from moldable to ones I cut myself. They swapped them out, shipped them to me, and then billed me $138 - saying Medicare didn't pay for them! That's when I changed suppliers - there is one called NationsHealth right here in south Florida who supplied me with them, and Medicare did pay for them. I would much rather deal with someone about 5 miles away, anyway. The people there are great. Hugs from Marge

Marge
Thanks for the reccomendation. I have been dealing with issues with Edgepark over the years. When my Blue Cross/ Blue Shield office changed from one area to another I called three times with the new information. For the next two years they continued to bill the old office as well as the new office despite all of my calls. It created all sorts of billing issues. I have stuck with them because I didn't want to deal with having to get physician approval for my supplies all over again. And it just seems like we should be able to get what we know we need.... who else would want to have a closet full of our equipment??!!! Hope you are OK with the hurricaine coming... stay safe.
Linda

Linda - check out "Ostomy Supplies" on your computer. They will have lists of suppliers near you, and you can call them and ask if they take Medicare - or Blue Cross/Blue Shield - that's how I found NationsHealth. I don't know if they are just local to south Florida or if they are in other parts of the country - don't know where you are.

Thanks for asking about the hurricane - Isaac will just be giving us heavy rain and wind gusts sometimes up to 50 miles an hour - we are on the east coast between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale and the storm will pass the west coast, but it is so large (maybe as much as 250 miles wide) that we will have tropical storm conditions. It will start getting really serious this afternoon and continue on through Monday. Nothing to really worry about here, we will just stay dry indoors, and hope that the power doesn't go out. If it does I will not be able to use my CPAP and we both will have trouble sleeping, because I will snore like a freight train! LOL

Hugs from Marge

Marge,

We have a good friend who is more like family in Davie! Ditto the stay safe! Even heavy rains and winds can cause problems - loss of power for any length of time is a royal pain!

Su-Z

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Free Ostomy Samples

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Live with confidence

Image of ostomy brochures

Learn about ostomy, stoma care, selecting a pouching system, and more in ConvaTec's guides to living with confidence after ostomy surgery:

Great Comebacks on YouTube

Ostomy resources

Learn about a free resource for your ostomy needs

Great Comebacks e-mail newsletter

Community leaders