what do you say?

yesterday my ten yr old came home from school, and i could tell he was up set. so i asked him what was wrong... an then for the first time ever he told me kids were picking on him. about his"brown spots"! saying things like kameron has poka dots and alot more... but the worst was when he said the one kid said if he had spots like his he'd kill him self! i couldnt believe it. kids are so mean... how can i help him? cause even as an adult the teasing slows down but there is still them ignorant people out there that feel better just to bring someone else down. i love my kids and i know what i went thru as a kid and sometimes still now... and i wish i could take pain away.

14 replies. Join the discussion

just tell him to tell them they are beauty marks and i have more bc god thinks iam beautiful...... ?? my mom when i was younger told me they were beauty spots and birth marks and everyone had em, just not as dark, maybe going about it that way even might help,
good luck :)
*Ally*

I completely agree with Alley, crazy to hear you say some of the things you said because when growing up I went thru the sammmmee thing. My mom did everything she could to convince me my marks where beautiful. I definitely don't agree with fighting having NF is a fight as it is, not to mention other things being a young teen that could occurr with fighting at school however, I would advice him to defend himself and speak up proudly to them. The more they see it does bother him (and I do understand) the more they will bully him... I hope it turns out well for him, tell him to tell them they wished they had his beauty marks and if it bothered them that much to look the other way... :)

When I was 10, I had a large egg-shaped CAL just above and dead center of my butt cheeks. This, after showering after gym class, earned me the moniker "sh*t smear" from my class mates. Always being one with a quick and sharp tongue, I pushed the hurt aside and responded that my classmates were that "smear" that I found impossible to scrape off my body. After a few similar responces, the name calling stopped.

The next time that kid tells your son that if he had spots like his he'd kill himself, your son should respond, "Why wait?"

I say it will continue to happen and could get worse if administrators and teachers are not notified.
Bullying is serious and should be reported.

People don't though.
http://tweenparenting.about.com/od/activitiesgameshobbies/a/Not-Report-Bull ying.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bullying/MH00126/NSECTIONGROUP=2
Contact school officials. Talk to your child's teacher, the school counselor and the school principal. If your child has been physically attacked or otherwise threatened with harm, talk to school officials immediately to determine if the police should be involved. Don't contact the bully's parents yourself. You might also want to encourage school officials to address bullying — including cyberbullying — as part of the curriculum.
Follow up. Keep in contact with school officials. If the bullying seems to continue, be persistent

Hello i feel so sorry you have to go thru this is there a support group in your area for kids your son age thats having issues with dealing with nf i think that it can really help.

Actually, Cardsharp is giving excellent advise. I should've said the same thing. Must be all the steroids they got me on right now. I'm a bit aggressive ... well, more so than normal for me.

Sometimes, however, contacting school officals can make the teasing worse. It's a tough call to make.

I was taller then those of my age group in elementary, then I stopped growing in the 7th grade 5'5", but in the 3-6 grade was taller and bigger then others, yes I know now kids are giants lol, when I was in the 3rd grade is when the bully and picking on me started, I was always told I could not start the fight but I could end it. it would be 6 of them and 1 of me. this turned me into a bully. not that I would bully others I would just tell them what I thought. so I did not have many friends, but back to the 6 of them and me I did not lose. in the 6th grade I was 5'4" and 135 lbs I could lift 110lbs over my head so a few 80-95 lbs kids, not much of a fight then. So I would say this help him to learn to let it just roll off the back like rain drops off a rain coat, or it could turn him into a bully, he could come back to those with have words to him, OMG whats that on your face when they say what ? he can say oh it's just your nose and if I have that nose I would cut it off. or it can touch the person and say now you have this stuff

that would always happen to me. i just said its ok i am different than you. i mean people would point them out and say you look like a dalmatians with all my spots. i have them everywhere. tell him to be strong.

Kids are just plain evil.. never mind HS mean girls/ jock boys.. the clicks start in preschool. Your son should just keep his chin up and see the taunters for the losers they are going to be. Ya know for the longest time I was such a believer in Karma,, and then it dawned on me... What the hell did I do in a past life to get this one??. (Sorry way off track there.)

Anyway back to your son,, I know the teasing sucks and a I am sorry he has to go through it. He is a much stronger person than his classmates. Hang in there kiddo, you will make it.

Tell your child that th kid must have something wrong with him and he is try to bring ever one else down especially your child because like one like saidbu could tell him to the kid that beauty marks and god gave to me .But kids see what that parents may said about kids if the parents don't tell the kids whatbwrongbwith kids upfront and tell them that have a disease but doesnt mean that are not normal

all through out school i was in a cast, brace, i had to use cruches, a walker, and was in and out of wheel chairs, thats y the kids picked on me.. tho i got lucky and had a few that stood up for me saying (to the mean kids) you couldnt handle it,

you could also tell your son to tell them god knew i could handle this, ur weak, and could not haandle what i go through thats why your normal and iam exstrodinary....

idk if that would work or not tho,,, maybe pick some of the stories off this sight and let him read some of them, prove to him he is not alone and many ppl do great with NF, that when he grows up he will do great things! keep telling him just because he has NF dosnt hold him back he can do and be anything he sets his mind to,

report it to the school counsier and the nurse demand a meeting and bring a someone who can back up your childs rights, this falls under the anti bully rule. but demand a school conference and then have the nurse or teacher explain what he has. if they dont call the news and say your child is be bulled for his genetic condition. so sad ...tell him we all dont think that way and he is awesome just like us.

Thanks everyone for your advise. i did speak to the school priniciple and hopefully he can take care of it. there is no support groups here for nones even heard of nf. and if they have they always say we are the first they ever seen. but im thinking i may start one and let everyone know what it is... then maybe people will be more understanding and not so judgemental. thanks again for your help . hopefully will help calm kameron down a bit too.

Hey friend I would go to his school and talk to his teacher and if you could them what nf is and what it could do. That other kids will t get the nf. And how he was born with it . Kids don t understand tell you tell them what it is so they can understand what it is. And why it is mine to do that. Kids pick on kids because they are get pick on to so I hope I help and watch out for that that said he would kill so body that not save at all bye for now candy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders