nf bumps

Does anyone know how to lessen appearance of ghe bumps snd CALS I am so self conscience of them

21 replies. Join the discussion

I've wondered about this too. Maybe there's some kind of plastic surgery that can help remove them :/ I'm self-conscious of the CALs, too

On the face us cover fx, then spray a makeup setter on. In other places tattoos work in other areas. I am too much of a chicken to get a real tattoo but rub on ones if good quality last a couple of weeks. Other than that when applying makeup excentuate your eyes, so people look at them and not your bumps. Try wear funky jewelery or something to take attention away from the bumps, plus for ladies out there, get your nails done, feet and hands; just another way to take the focus off your bumps...... Oh and every now and again get a spray tan done, it most certainly makes the bumps look less bumpy, and everyone looks good with a tan even us NFers, but a least with a spray tan we stand in a cubicle by ourselves and not expose ourselves in the sun.
Oh and I have just recently started rubbing coconut oil on my bumps, proper virgin oil used for cooking...l let's see what happens.

Their is supposed to be a topical cream in the works that overtime reduces bumps.
Check with your nurologist.

sometimes when its very cold out mine swell but then they go back down. i here alot of direct sunlight can do the same thing in others though. but try not to touch them. that brings blood to the area and stimulates growth. also sometimes when they form the look and feel like a zit. dont try and pop it cause that pretty much locks it in. sometimes they try and form and go back down. beyond that there is regular, lazer and plastic surgery.

Eddie 1957, what is the cream? Please and thank you.

Information in regards to nf bump removal is ED electro dissection done by some dr's 2 of whom are Dr. Melmed in Texas, i have had the surgery with him last year August and Dr, Weinberg in New York. Please google, i think you will like what you see.

Surgery for growth removal of NF tumors with Dr. Melmed is GREAT!!!! I had this done on May 29th and still have areas that are healing but other areas are wonderful looking. I wish doctors here in and around the Illinois area would do this type of surgery

There is really no way to hide or cover up at this time. surgery removal will remove them but the % of them coming back is high. besides it cost to much to go through all that if their not cancerous

I looked into the matter of these growing back and had a lengthy discussion with Dr. Melmed as well about this. In the years he has been doing this, he has not seen any grow back as of yet, and this has been 13 years as of now. I've had others removed prior to seeing Dr. Melmed, and it has been over 20 years and I've had no regrowth of them. It's all in how the doctor removes them.

Im the same way I have had one big one removed and some smaller ones grew in its place. Id love to get a few more removed but if they are just gonna grow back I figure what's the point. Not even sure if my insurance would cover it they consider it cosmetic surgery.

I know they consider it cosmetic, but the tumors can be painful at times and there's nothing to stop that pain . oh yea and the itching the only way to stop the itching and pain is removal. so were is that cosmetic.

the cream that makes the bumbs smaller is Imiquad Cream (Imiquimod 5% Cream or Generic Aldara)
I started using it about three weeks ago after i heard about a trail for it for NF patients so I asked my doctor for a script it seems to be working, i am only testing it onmy left hand burt it seem to be working

if the nf bumps are bad, or painfull, surgery, some may say a tattoo, but
a tattoo? kind of permanent, it might look good now, when your young, but how about when your 50 or 60?
plus the pain! talk to a derm. for the cafe spots. good luck!

if the cream works..do they make it in a bath gel (lol)

no only comes in a a box with about24 little packages of cream, wish it came in a big bottle

I've heard in some cases they grow back if removed.My mom had one on her chin removed.And one on her foot they never grew back.I got one on my chin.I think about getting it removed.But kinda worry it may grow back.Since the doctor services are slipping up.But yet i learn to accept what is.

Scooterrooter,

Please share the info about the cream you are using.

I found some info ...is this what you are using??

http://www.drugs.com/drp/aldara-cream-5.html

yes, they did a trail with this cream last year, read about it on another site, so I asked my dr
it seems to me its working i just been using it on left hand for now.

Can you buy this cream in the drug store or on line?

@Squeeslouise: where did you hear about coconut oil on your skin. I know its good to take, which I put in my protein shakes every morning, but never heard about using it for NF.

To Judy,
I have not ever heard of using coconut oil targeted towards NF, I have just read that it is meant to be really beneficial for a whole host of things such as bruises, scars, dry skin ect, so I just thought I would use it as a moisturizer, can't do any harm right?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Neurofibromatosis Network

Help the Neurofibromatosis Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Neurofibromatosis Network

Discussion topics

Beauty Mark Nation

Beauty Mark Network

Resources from NF Network

Find an NF Walk Near You

Find an NF Walk Near You

Community leaders