Vitamin D Level

I have been trying to increase my level of vitamin D but it has been a very slow process. Anybody knows how much can you take a day? I am taking 7.000 i.u a day, and my test was only 35 after 5 months. I would appreciate any opinion.

27 replies. Join the discussion

HAve you been taking the same brand supplement this whole time? Maybe switching to a different one is worth a try. Vitamin D assays are notoriously iffy. Often just repeating the test will show a higher blood D level. If PTH is low, then your vit D level is probably adequate for you.

is not 7000 iu D per day to high .i am taking forteo and have only 28 D.
i am told to take only 1600-2000 iu D.[ and never exposed to the sun]
nancy you shoud check once more.miriamss

Miriamss: it is not high for me Miriam because I was 6 on vit D level, about 2 years ago, then went to 25 and now that I increase to 7.000 i.u a day is only 35, I want it to be at least 50 or 60 the D level but it does not go there. Normal docs say is between 30 and 100 that is what my doc said.

Thanks Lilypads for the information. I am going to read everything and watch the videos. :)

I just want to clarify something: In January my HYdroxy test was 25, then I was taking 2.000 i.u of D3. I increased to 5.000 i.u a day and it went to 35 the D3 level in april. I only started taking 2.000 i.u more after I tested D3 35. hopefully that will increase my vit D3 level by the time I re test in august. I might change brands now, I am taking D3 from Now foods will look for another brand. I take daily 5.000 D3 from now foods and Osteo K has 2.000 i.u daily, so my total intake now is 7.000 i.u D3.

Recalcitrant low vitamin D levels could be a sign of other isssues. For example, people who have had gastric bypass surgery have great difficulty absorbing vitamin D. People who take anti-seizure meds for epilepsy or related conditions also have issues because these drugs compete with vitamin D metabolism in the liver. People with chronic hepatitis will also have low vitamin D.....etc.
Again, a check of your PTH level, and if in the low end of normal, means that a vit D level of 35 is probably adequate for you and attempts to raise it will provide little gain in bone health. Are your serum calcium and 24 hr urinary calcium levels in the normal range?

dxguru, I dont have any of those conditions that you mentioned but I was told by a endocrinologist in NY that I have osteomalacia, at the time she gave me Forteo which it did help me momentarily only. I know that the treatment of osteomalacia is vit D3 only, that is why I am trying to increase my level of D vitamin.

Make sure you are taking D3 and not D2.

Vitamin D blood level for reducing major medical risks in older adults identified, study suggests (May 1, 2012) -- To resolve controversy over how much vitamin D is enough to protect older adults' health, researchers tested Cardiovascular Health Study blood samples. They sought links between each person's 25 (OH) D and first heart attack, cancer diagnosis, hip fracture or death. Risks rose when levels fell below 20ng/mL or 50 nmol/L. Results match the low threshold level set by the Institute of Medicine. Association with risk varied seasonally. Levels were lower, and disease event risk higher, in winter. ... > f ull story
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120501145028.htm

And the links posts by lilypads are excellent. Hope this helps.

Photobucket
GRASSROOTSHEALTH

This graph shows the range of response to any particular daily intake is around 100ng/ml or 250nmol/l
So there isn't a typical average response we have to check our 25(OH)D and repeat that test from time to time (3~6 month intervals) until we are confident that we have an adequate status between 125~175nmol/l.

If you look at the text box beside the graph you'll see you are not the only person who may need more than 7000iu/daily to get 25(OH)D over 40ng/ml 100nmol/l. To be pretty sure we get everyone over that threshold would probably require 9600iu/daily.

Dr Davis works from the other direction and has his patients STARTING with 10,000iu and testing 25(OH)D regularly until they have remained consistently between 60 and 70 ng/ml
Topping up your vitamin D tank

He finds that after maintaining this level for around 3yrs the requirement for vitamin D drops and he's then able to reduce intakes to around 6000iu.

I think it's likely you need to boost intake for a bit and you need a lot more for a lot longer before you'll get to the levels that maximize the anti inflammatory potential of vitamin D3.

Thanks for this info Ted. I just sent away my first blood sample to see where my levels are. I am currently taking about 3500IU of d3 daily, but we'll see where I am at. There are still conflicting reports, not only about how much of it is safe, but where your levels should be........and how much A is needed in ratio to d3. It's somewhat confusing at this point, as not everyone is on board with taking the higher levels of d3, but they do say that it is hard to overdo it, so.....?

@ There are still conflicting reports, not only about how much of it is safe, but where your levels should be
When it comes to making a choice between the views of those who have a vested financial interest in supplying pharmaceutical drugs, and profiting from health procedures, and what the human body would naturally attain and maintain living mainly outdoors with little clothing I'll choose the 25(OH)D that human DNA evolved to work best with.
Now we know how vitamin D works to improve immune function it seems wrong to deprive new born babies of vitamin D replete breast milk.
Now we know the anti-inflammatory role of vitamin D is maximal at 125nmol/l = 50ng/ml it seems sensible to keep 25(OH)D around that level.
My concern is that people just focus on vitamin D3 and forget the average adult only consumes around 50% the RDA for magnesium , has a very high pro-inflammatory omega 6 level compared to anti-inflammatory omega 3 and generally we all suffer from too much light both during the evening and while asleep so our anti-inflammatory melatonin levels are also reduced. It's not just 25(OH)D that's below the level our DNA evolved with but magnesium, omega 3, melatonin as well. We need to think a bit more about how early humans lived and what they ate.
bruce hollis, Vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy & breastfeeding - effectiveness and safety. Dr Bruce HollisVitamin D supplementation in pregnancy & breastfeeding - effectiveness and safety. Dr Bruce Hollis

Hi,
I heard that vitamin D is best assimilated with oil and with a meal. I was a 30 in January and just got retested at the end of April and was 62. I took two 1000 vitamin D3 gummies from Walmart ($9.99 for a large bottle) with a fish oil capsule from Costco twice a day. I also have about 500 D in the calcium Citrate I take (Citracal), but it's D 2 I think. I was increasing my good oils too with my meals, like olive oil on veggies and salads. I do live in Texas, so would be getting more sunlight now, but am not out in the sun that much. Anyway, it worked and I am going to cut back to one gummy and the D in my calcium and daily vitamin.

Vitamin D is best absorbed when taken with the largest meal of the day. And fish oil taking with it also seems to make some sense. After all it was the discovery that a teaspoon of cod liver oil a day would prevent Ricket's (osteomalacia in children) that led to discovery of vitamin D in the first place and that the first recommendation that 400IU a day (the amount in a teaspoon of cod liver oil) came from. If they had used halibut liver oil, the daily recommendation would have been 800IU. We now know that 400 is probably too low for adults.

I have taken 10,000 when very low and then reduced next week to 7,000 and then on down. Spread it out during the day because I heard absorption rates can peak and not absorb any more. Now I am down to 1000 plus sun and food/drink I take, but I have to monitor it ofter - every 6 months or so.

HYPOVITAMINOSIS D IS ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASED PARATHYROID HORMON SECRETION, INCREASED BONE TURNOVER, OSTEOPOROSIS AND RISK OH HIP AND VERTERAL FRACTURE. VITAMIN D IN THE BLOOD REDUCES INCIDENCE OF MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEMS.VITAMIN D2 IS MUCH LESS EFFECTIVE THAN VITAMIN D3, AND VITAMIN D3 MORE POTENT BY60-80 PERCENT THAN VITAMIN D2 IN RISINING SERUM 25-HYDROXYVITAMIND[ 25[OH] D ]. THE DAILY ORAL INTAKE OF VITAMIN D IN SUNLIGHT DEPRIVED INDIVIDUALS SHOULD EXCEED 600 IU , IT SHOULD BE 1000 IU DAILY TO SECURE A NORMAL LEVEL OF 25 HYDROXYVITAMIN D.

GARLAND AND BAGGERLY 2010 ARMAS ET AL JOURNAL ENDOCRANOLOGY AND METABOLISM 2004 VOL.89, NO 11,5387-5391

@ sn006
THE DAILY ORAL INTAKE OF VITAMIN D IN SUNLIGHT DEPRIVED INDIVIDUALS SHOULD EXCEED 600 IU , IT SHOULD BE 1000 IU DAILY TO SECURE A NORMAL LEVEL OF 25 HYDROXYVITAMIN D.
But if you look at typical NORMAL levels of 25(OH)D you find that MOST NORMAL people have sub optimal vitamin d levels which is why they end up with Metabolic syndrome, obesity
Low Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Is Associated with Increased Risk of the Development of the Metabolic Syndrome
and an inverse association between circulating 25(OH)D and incident type 2 diabetes

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If we want to help people we have to explain how to IMPROVE the matter and not keep on repeating the same mistakes.

1000iu daily for each 25lbs you weigh MAY be an appropriate STARTING POINT.
A City Assays Vitamin D Blood Spot Test n £25 UK 30 international" after 12~24 weeks will show if you have reached 50ng/ml ~`125nmol/l an OPTIMAL level at which your body is best able to manage inflammation. You then have to adjust intake More/Less if you are still below or significantly above the OPTIMUM TARGET.

all yall replies are precoius to me , I am putting them in a file called Inspire thanks to you all :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.