PEMF for Osteoporosis?

Dear Forum,
This is Pulsed Electromagentic Field treatment. It is usually a pad with coils imbedded that you sleep on, and a programming box sends a programmed series of magnetic pulses through your body. They are very low level, so no danger like from power lines. They are proven to accelerate bone fracture healing, so why not osteoporosis? It supposedly works, but I am not sure it is worth the price. Then again, We spend thousands of dollars total on our regular treatments. Maybe there is a reasonable priced system? Has anyone looked into this?
Thanks!
Mike

125 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you Aussielass and my fab. friend Tom.
Heart attack?
I had an episode once, in my fourties....I will call the GP and am seeing the Pain Dr. today and Will bring it up .
Thank you all.
I will keep you posed..
Em

Hey Em, you better see your doctor! You know that Gabepentin is a seizure med that is also used for pain. Of course it's to prevent them so if you had one that wouldn't make any sense. I can not take Gab, it has some weird side effects for me-mainly vision probs-but what you describe sounds very serious. Be sure to talk to your doctor-okay?

Thanks Kid;
I did see pain Dr. today and we are going to keep an eye on it.
My last cardio work out was 3 years ago...before I broke the first Vert. so I may need a work up.
I see the GP in July but if I feel weird, I will go in.
Thanks to Aussielass, I read the whole article and showed it to the pain Dr. so we are on alert.
Night all, sweet dreams.
Em

New FDA Study on Biophosphonates: No additional benefit after 3 to 5 years:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/11306/concern-mounting-over-use-osteoporosis-drug s

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the link. It happens that I quit fosamax after 3 yrs, due to pain in my right hip. Now I feel vindicated!

BTW, how goes the testing so far? Haven't seen an update lately.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I took Fosamax for about that period of time too! I wish the FDA would remove it from the approved list. There are so many other promising treatment options; if the money that is spent advertising and researching these drugs were used to develop natural treatments, I feel sure we would have a cure by now!

I have gotten some good work done, but have run into some limitations with my testing capability.

I was able to build a hall effect gauss probe, and it appears to work well. My PC scope, however, turns out will only measure AC signals since the microphone and line inputs of the sound card are AC coupled. It's sensitivity is rather low, ~1.4mv/gauss, and does not have a very wide range; only up to ~400 gauss in its linear range, and 1Kgauss max. I know there are 20kgauss units available, but I could not find them. This one was only ~$1.50 for the chip.

I have checked the hall probe on the earth pulse, and basically verified the calibration against the advertised gauss level. I then checked the signal using a wire coil (a small coil of wire wrap wire), and got a calibration value vs the hall probe on the surface of the earth pulse. I was then able to check the level of my home built pulser.

The home built uses a Xenon flash tube strobe circuit. It has a frequency range of .5 to 5 Hz at this point. I am using a speaker crossover coil of .5 ohm and 2.5 mH. This gives a pulse that will pop a steel washer off of the surface. The original Bob Beck pulser will pop a washer a few feet in the air. On the earth pulse, the washer barely moves. The Bob Beck model supposedly produced a 6 Kgauss pulse, and the Sota units advertise 6 Kgauss as well. Sota says theirs penetrates up to 9 inches.

The earth pulse produces a field that supposedly equals the earth's magnetic field, of around 1/2 to 2 gauss at the surface of the mattress. They say it is good for mattresses of 8 to 10" thickness, up to 16". My measurements show a 1.6 gauss field at 6", and 0.2 gauss at 12". http://www.intemag.com/calculators/Flux_Density_Plain_Rect.html
Based on this, I do not think the earth pulse is a good option for total body treatment.

At present, my pulser is ~100x stronger than the earth pulse. I think a stronger one can be made using a larger capacitor and an SCR to fire the coil. This should produce a unit comparable with the Sota for local use.

For whole body treatment, I am thinking a multiple coil design might work, similar to the mat units, only with 3 or 4 coils under the mattress. This would still be cost effective, as the coils would be small in order to attenuate the field to an earth pulse level. I am thinking of wiring them in series with connnectors to allow any number to be used, to allow adjustment of field strength. For high intensity use, a larger coil could be plugged in, and different capacitors switched in (possibly). I will make the full body operation first priority. I need to research how the fields of the multiple coils would interact, to see if the combined frequencies would produce unwanted effects.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Mike

Hey Mike,

Sounds really good to me. You're much more experienced in magnetics than I. Just wondering whether any of those units you mentioned have been FDA approved, or any other regulating body? I'm sure you don't want to damage your sample of one patient in your trials! Good luck.

Tom

I know I must do the homework but Mike, Tom, Nancy and Aussie lass how much is the PEMF device?
I have heard ( on this site) everything from $158-$3000 and I believe Mike is on an Earthpulse as we speak.
I will go back through the pages of this discussion and find the link so I can figure the price. Is it FDA approved? How about insurance approved?
All feed back is more than welcome.
Everyone, have a lovely weekend.
Em

Hi Em,

Well, as you can see, Mike is also building a homebrew system on the cheap. He is a very clever fellow to be able to do this of course. I'll stay tuned in case anyone knows about the certification (or not) of the various commercial units available. I'm sure Mike wouldn't do what he's doing if he didn't feel it would be safe. Of course it is quite expensive to get anything approved by the FDA, so a manufacturer has to be well heeled enough to go for it.

Tom

I think there is an " Earth Pulse" device. I have to search for it. But, Tom, I think it is for sale now.
I will do homewwork and get back to you.
Em

Emmie the Earthpulse is 600 dollars and Osteomike does not think is good from I read. The one I got BioMedici is $158.00 but its a little biddy tiny device the size of an old pager. I have not gotten pain relieve from it, but I am still using it. The ones that are 3.000 are like a mat you lay down in it. For the whole body.

Dear Nancy;
I am going to contact the Earthpulse people and see if I can get a full info package.
Then, I am going to see my spine surgeon and see if he will write a prescription.
Also, I will call my insurance company and see if they will pay anything toward the "matt" device.
I looked at the one you bought on line and it is little.
If you can not get a TRNS from your insurance, go to The Sharper image. They sell one for $150.
It looks like mine and mine works very well but it only has two lines with two 1" square pads...so again, it is only covering a tiny area.
I will keep everyone posted.
Em

Just wondering if anyone has any new info to report on this subject. I was interested to know how construction of your prototype was coming along osteomike. Also had anyone found out if insurance might help pay for one of the units as the one seen on Dr. Oz. Also wondering if anyone has had any success with any of the units they have purchased. Has anyone tried using one at a facility that let's you pay for so many minutes of use like you would do with a tanning bed at a tanning center. Just curious

Hello again all;
I have been out of touch for over a week. ( I think I have had, am having or will have a nervous breakdown. No joke. I schedualed an apt with a psychologist for this Thursday. It is very hard to find a licensed Dr. who takes the AARP/MedicareComplete/Unitedhealthcare insurance, in the Sun City Center/Brandon/Tampa, FL., area. Then, I have to hope that the Dr. is not in worse mental shape than I am.)
( I have gone four or five times in my life for counciling; bad divorce, death of my mother, stressed out from my job...that kind of thing. Let me say, it took me about four Dr.'s before I found a man named Dr. Richard, in Ca. who was great. He was normal, married, had kids and really, really, helped me through some tough times. I sent my best friend to him when she went through her divorce, very messy and my middle daughter when she went a bit over the top at one point. I just hope the new Dr. is not a kook. Pray for me. Please. I am manic, severe mood swings and the Cymbalta...I could not urinate...so I stopped it. I hope the Dr. can find a drug to even me out. I think I need help and I guess, according to what I am reading on Webmd etc, that that is a good sign. I would just like a normal life, I will live with this awful pain IF they can tweek the meds to where I am sane, not stoned, in pain of 6-8 on a one to ten scale and get my mood to some kind of even keel. I am exhausted. Wish me luck kids, I need it!)
I am going to contact the earth Pulse company and get a full info package and find out the cost of a matt and if insurance pays anything for it.
I many find other devices when I run the Earth Pulse/PEMF through google.
I will let everyone know what is what. ( Like how much do the big matts cost and how do they work.)
I hope Mike has his device up and running...what a way to help people and I hope it works and he gets "Filthy Rich!".
At least it would be wonderful to invent something that helps people and have scads of money, seeing that we are all in horrible pain, with weird, bent, "Humpy" bodies...not the bodies we want, and not being able to dance and swim and all the things we would love to do.
Mike, build the damn machine and let's all get pain free and you get rich and throw a big party, OK?
I will get back to you all on what ever concrete info I dig up.
Emmie

Hey Em,

I was thinking about you. Sorry you are down in the dumps, but I can understand why for sure. Too bad about the cymbalta, but a girls gotta pee! Nobody wants to have to cath themselves. My wife was helped a lot by a lady close to our age who was just a social worker, but her people skills were fantastic. From her experience over the years with chronic pain, a good shrink is hard to come by, and she had bad luck with one psychologist too. She never should have threatened him. An angry Finn can be pretty intimidating.

I'm praying you get the help you need and get to a "more normal/tolerable life". I'm kinda glad I never met you when you were a kick boxer in spike heels, at least not in a dark alley ;~)

Tom

Just want to inform that I have the Biomedici device and recently I developed a bad pain on my left ankle, it was hard to walk. I used the BioMedici device one hour a day for three days and all the pain is gone. I dont know if the device works for osteo, but it works for pain, but you have to use more than one time.

Nancy, that is great news. Sounds like the PEMF can actually do some healing, whereas the TENS type devices are just temporary pain relievers (I think).

Em, am I wrong here? I hope the pain stays gone for good Nancy. As I recall that was a pretty inexpensive device but very small too.

Tom

Tom;
You always crack me up...kickboxing in heels in a dark alley! I swear, I have to write a book...too funny.
Yes, I use the TENS all the time but it is 4, small 1" square patches...so, not big enough...I need a big matt.
I am going to look up Nancy08's device.
I will get back to you.
Silly man...tee-hee.
Em

Today is June 23, 2012. I haven't yet found a link that led me to anything about this Electromagnetic Device other than a site in Italy that makes grand claims and sells a device. Dr. Oz's video was mentioned but I found nothing that actually linked to anything credible. Where does the efficacy stand today with you site posters? Thanks!

Dear Danalee;
Maybe Mike and Tom can bring us up to speed.
Thanks.
Em

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.