Newly Identified Gene May Be Risk Factor for Osteoporosis

I was not even sure if posting this would be of any value -

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111004132534.htm?

The team of researchers recently isolated a gene that modulates osteoclasts. They found, in mice, that a loss of this gene's function leads to a significant increase in the number of osteoclasts, thereby generating an even higher level of bone resorption.

According to Osteoporosis Canada, as many as two million Canadians suffer from osteoporosis. One in four women over the age of 50 has osteoporosis, and so does one in eight men over the same age. In addition, 80 per cent of hip fractures are related to the disease. These result in death in up to 20 per cent of cases, and disability in 50 per cent of those who survive.

7 replies. Join the discussion

i posted the same article and felt the same way about posting it. i seem to do all the right things and still have this op.

Shiner1 - I did not read what you had posted. I did not want to find out about "news but maybe not too encouraging".

The part about, " . . . death in up to 20 per cent of cases, and disability in 50 per cent . . . " is something that I am often better off not even thinking about.

At least I found out that I have osteoporosis and I know to be careful not fall. Others have never even had a DEXA scan and they will only find out that they have osteoporosis when they fall and break their femoral neck, etc.

Hi E W Collins

An interesting article.

Both my Mam and Gran had OP resulting in broken hip/femur. All my (limited) blood tests showed that my calcium, vit D and homones were normal, so I assume that I have the faulty gene from them. I had requested a DEXA scan several years ago, but was refused one by my GP, as not being necessary. I wouldn't have been diagnosed if I hadn't broken both wrists.

LynH - I asked two different primary care physicians for a DEXA scan and they both said, "No. You have no risk factors". I should sue them for malpractice!

Finally, in December of 2010 I convinced my new doctor to approve the test. At first they said no as well.

At least I found out that I have osteoprosis before I broke a bone. Although everyone must be careful not to fall, we must be especially careful. It could be fatal.

Hi EWCollins

After thinking about what I read in the article yesterday, do you think its likely that all the supplements I am taking, especially the strontium and vit K2 MK4, which I believe (hope) may work on the osteoblasts to make new bone, could be a complete waste of time and money, if my osteoblasts are faulty anyway? Not a pleasant thought.

LynH - It is now more important than ever that you stick with the treatment that you have selected. Continue to keep up with current research, and be careful not to fall. You will be fine.

Hi EWCollins

Thanks for your kind wishes. We are presently trying to enjoy a very wet Isle of Mull off the west coast of Scotland. The wildlife is great: Sea Eagles and Otters, that is if you can see them for the rain. We move on to the Highlands of Scotland tomorrow. Again good for wildlife,but no internet connection at the Lodge where we stay. I will sign on again in about 8 days.

I have already tried to send this once, but it appeared to fail.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NOF

Help the National Osteoporosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Learn more about osteoporosis awareness and prevention

Discussion topics

Links and resources from NOF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The National Osteoporosis Foundation would like to remind visitors and community members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of NOF. Please consult your personal healthcare provider regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.