Hysterectomy & HPV

I was searching for information regarding HPV and VAIN - which I was diagnosed with today and found that many people were inquiring as to if you should continue pap smears after a full hysterectomy. I had a full hysterectomy two years ago - skipped one annual pap smear, following a normal pap smear - - but needed one to renew my hormone prescription (Estradiol). Anyhow, my pap came back abnormal - I was scheduled for a coloscopy and biopsies were taken. Today I rec'd the news that I had VAIN III and Carcinoma In situ. This is pre-cancerous cells and very much not common....in my research it said normally something found in women over 60, I am 42. My doctor said it is very rare, he had only seen it a few times, but thankfully since caught now, cancer had not developed, phew! So...I just thought, as I was hoping to find in my searches, that I would pass it on for those that were looking for someone that had a similar experience. I scheduled a laser surgery - and plan to have a pap twice a year from this point on. My question that I forgot to ask my OBGYN is if I should be taken off of the Estradiol.... I did begin taking BioResponse Dim 150 yesterday too, read good reviews, and anything that boosts your immune system can't be 'bad'. I am very healthy - was struggling financially and let my insurance lapse - would not have gone to the dr had they not told me I had to, because I felt I had nothing to worry about..... get your annual exams! I preach be proactive not reactive, and yet I wasn't living that. I've been chatting with my teen kids friends openly and honestly about this because I didn't look for info until I had a problem, I'm afraid that may too often be the case! .... Do your part n educate people, it's not every day we chat about our paps over a glass of wine, but hey....might make a huge difference in someones life!

2 replies. Join the discussion

And....a hysterectomy does NOT guarantee against further incidence of dysplasia. If NO Paps are done post hysterectomy, which was done for cervical cancer, the stat is 1% risk of CANCER re-currence (not dysplasia). The statistic for a re-currence of dysplasia in the vaginal, vulvar areas is around 20%.
In a total hysterectomy, the cervix and uterus are removed. Therefore, there is no cervix any longer so 'cervical' cancer per se is no longer a concern. However, HPV attacks other areas than the cervix such as the vulva, vagina, anus, etc, so these areas are susceptible to dysplasia, carcinoma-in-situ & cancer as well.
A partial hysterectomy is removal of the uterus, leaving the cervix in place, which would not be an option for a woman with cervical cancer. This may be used more in women with benign, uterine bleeding, fibroid issues, but more options than ever are available today so a woman does not need to undergo a hysterectomy to treat these conditions.

Thank you for sharing your story ... and YES you need to continue to have the pap tests even after a hysterectomy. The HPV virus could still show it's ugly head and cause problems!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders