HPV test for men (previous thread incorrect; there are tests)

I recently learned that, among others, men who have sex with men (MSM) are at risk for HPV. In fact, the CDC cites infection rates among MSM at about 50% for HIV- ones and nearly 100% for HIV+ men. At the same time, I learned that MSM (and maybe more men) should be getting Anal PAP Smears, which is the first line of detection. If that proves positive, a doctor can take a small biopsy of anal/rectal tissue to test further. Moreover, my understanding is that, when caught and dealt with early, HPV can be removed and monitored and controlled. I saw someone else post and laud the name of the doctor I used, which I completely agree with. Dr. Stephen Goldstone in NYC is EXCELLENT! If you don't live near him, you could try calling his office for referrals to others near you.

32 replies. Join the discussion

P.S. I went through all of the above and more. I had to have an outpatient procedure done with Dr. Goldstone to remove pre-cancerous cells and plaque.

There are anal pap tests available (and I full encourage regular testing for this) however your posting confuses me as HIV and HPV are two very different viruses.
I know there are tests available but I am not aware of any testing that is regularly performed for penile HPV testing.

Sorry. For penile testing, they also take a little biopsy. In my opinion, a good doc will look at both ends when looking for HPV.

The HIV comment isn't related directly to HPV testing, other than as a factoid about the implied high frequencies of transmissions occurring in MSM. If anything, it's just meant to be added incentive for people to go get tested. You can't survive what you don't address.

HPV and Men - Fact Sheet (U.S. Centers for Disease Control = CDC)
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

CDC Confirms Effectiveness of HPV Vaccine in Men - TIME HealthlandMay 27, 2010 ... The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed its provisional recommendation from 2009 that the HPV vaccine (Gardasil)

http://healthland.time.com/2010/05/27/cdc-confirms-safety-and-effectiveness -of-hpv-vaccine-in-men/

Unfortunately this info is too late for me and my son. He has a compromised immune system and has had one horribly painful and intrusive anal surgery three months ago and is looking at another as internal anal warts have regrown. At 22 he feels his life is over. Why this post wasn't sent to me as my interest in HPV in msm is the reason I am here is unclear to me. Thanks for the links.

NorthJerseyGuy, did you read this besides for posting it?
HPV and Men - Fact Sheet (U.S. Centers for Disease Control = CDC)
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

It VERY clearly says there is no HPV test for men. Yes, there is an anal pap which tests for anal HPV, and recommended particularly for men at higher risk, but there is no test for the genitalia. And, a small biopsy of the male genitals isn't going to tell you much.

I'm very sorry to hear about your son and I feel for you as a mom. I underwent the painful anal surgery and also have a compromised immune system. I think it's really important for him to learn as much as he can about his situations and to become one of his own best advocates. I read a book once called Love, Medicine and Miracles. I'm not religious, but I found the message and the ideas really useful and powerful for positioning myself mentally to take on the fight as much as possible. Best wishes to both of you!

Sure. But I think the point your making is semantic. The anal pap smear and a biopsy of anything suspicious to a trained eye from your body (including genitalia) are very much tests and do help the docs to detect HPV. I disagree with your statement that a biopsy won't tell them much. According to the doc I saw, it tells them a lot. I do know that they may or may not test to identify what specific HPV you have, only whether it's low or high risk.

I have to add that I only just came across this site quite by accident. I'm not sure why you weren't imformed of some of this info sooner or by others -- such as your caregivers -- but I can say that it was all brand new info to me this year when I learned about it, which is what led me to get checked. We held an LGBT Health Awareness event at our company and invited other companies LGBT groups to join us, and that was one piece of valuable info I learned that I'd never heard a peep about from any docs. I've been trying to "spread the word" wherever I can, including putting it out there on MSM sites where guys meet. Still wishing you both better times!!

Thanks for the book, I will pass it on. He has always been highly motivated all through college to advocate against aids (drove the 100 mi. to Los Angeles to walk) and fought doggedly for CA same sex marriage law. His low point was finding that after following all our advice and NEVER having unsafe sex, BAM, he still got one of the worst things ever. We are still waiting on type, but the gardisil (sp?) may still be a viable course of action. I also hope he will now see the need for advocacy in this area as you have.

When was the report from the CDC done? My son's urologist did a biopsy and immediately scheduled surgery warning of a probable second one. Male pap and any irritation can be used to not only test but type HPV in men. Most men with healthy immune systems pass it and never know, then their bodies kill off the virus. Those that can't, no matter what their sexual orientation, are those who wind up with bowel, anal, and/or penile cancers if they ignore the same signs we women are told to look for. Doctors, even the CDC, don't know everything, please don't ever assume they do.

My last post was to flowershoplady.

Your son is only 22. I've been living with HIV longer that he's been alive. I utterly and truly believe that a positive mental attitude is a must for getting through. I hope you will get him to try that book and I hope he'll get fired up to fight for his life. I actually went to some medical libraries and researched what they were doing on the cutting edges in HIV back in the beginning, to try to survive. Because of that research, I wound up taking the cocktail (the meds that are saving everyone) before it actually existed because I read about it in JAMA and called the people at University of Miami to get their opinions on how much of the "chemicals" they identified to take based on my size. Get him fired up. He has to look out for himself now too, and it sounds like he does have some of that passion as evidenced by his community service work (which I also do). BTW, I'm not a medical pro of any type so I just did the best I could to read what I could find, and to understand it. ONE BIG CAVEAT, sometimes that info can be scary. Hugs to you both!!

There is no HPV testing for men as there is for women. HPV testing is recommended as a routine test for women over 30 and is used to further determine if additional testing is needed. We're talking about very different situations when men have anal paps. Anal paps are not a routine test. And, men's genitals are not routinely tested for HPV, and not even if requested, because, again, there is NO test! The doctor would need to swab and sample the entire penis, testicles, etc. to get samples to test. Biopsies will be done when there is already a problem suspected, not as a routine test. Having a particular problem diagnosed in a man is completely different than a woman having regular paps and hpv testing to see if they have an active hpv infection.

Okay Flowershoplady. Some of your points are well taken. Notwithstanding, there are a number of voices now calling for "regular paps and hpv testing" for men "to see if they have an active hpv infection" which is substantially the same as what they're doing for women today.

I think it would be great if they could figure out a way to test a man for active hpv infections on his genitals! Men and women should be well informed about their health, particularly when it can impact another's health!

And, northjerseyguy, I'm glad that 'some' of my points are well taken. Bottomline, there is no hpv test for men.....the anal pap and anal hpv test is not the test we'd all like to have. There is currently no way for a man to know if he has an active hpv infection on his genitals, at least no standard ways outside of research labs.

Most women do not go near a man's behind, my concern is the male genitalia.

I've known a few who do and, anyway, you don't have to go there for it to be spread to or from there, as I understand it. It's SUPER easy to spread.

P.S. FlowerLady needs to be right so I'll officially concede that there is no test (per se)(though the methods available still strike me as forms of testing). This is from the CDC site:

Is there a test for HPV?
The HPV tests on the market are only used to help screen for cervical cancer. There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status,” nor is there an HPV test to find HPV on the genitals or in the mouth or throat. But HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now.

For my other friend the mom on here, in terms of when this stuff was published, these are the dates that CDC posts on their page:

Page last reviewed: November 24, 2009
Page last updated: November 24, 2009

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders