HPV related anal and cervical stuff

Hi, so I love this site but this is my first post. I am 33, female, and I have been with the same partner for 5 years monogamously.

I've had 4 years of bad cervical paps associated with high-risk HPV infection. No LEEPs yet. The past 2 paps have been ASC-US and were actually negative for HPV. I thought I was in the clear.

Then I started worrying about anal HPV. So I went to doctor (paid out of pocket) and got an anal pap. Today he called to tell me I have ASC-US there, and positive for high-risk HPV. Now I am scared and feel like crying. I'm worried!

The questions swimming through my head are:

- If my cervical HPV has cleared (or at least gone negative), why do I have HPV in the anal area? That's a 4-year infection at least.

- Stuff I've read says that people generally clear the virus after 2 years - so for all the people that DON'T clear it in that time, do we just deal with it for life and eventually get cancer somewhere (throat, vulva, cervix, anal, vagina)? I have a feeling of inevitability about it and it makes me want to cry.

- Should I make my OBGYN check for vulvar and vaginal dysplasia in addition to cervical?

- Should I make my dentist check me for oral dysplasia?

- What about my partner - is he at risk for oral cancer or other types? As a man, what can he do?

I am going crazy over here worrying - I've had 4 years of worry but I still just don't really understand how this virus works.

5 replies. Join the discussion

Also, is this anal stuff generally covered by insurance? I have Anthem and I see that they consider it "investigative and not medically necessary" (http://www.anthem.com/medicalpolicies/policies/mp_pw_c123692.htm), which just about does me in.

Anyone know the costs of such a treatment out of pocket?

I asked my consultant yesterday about abnormal cells in the rectum and he told me it was very, very rare and almost unheard of, you can have the HPV virus there, he said most people who have it on the cervix will also have it in the rectum as it can transfere there just from normal sexual activity ( sorry to be graphic but you dont have to necessarily have anal sex to get it), its any skin to skin contact around that area, but it does not mean it will turn to dyskariosis. I was also worried about this but they do not routinely check for it.
I think oral dyskariosis is caused by a completely different strain of HPV so I shouldnt worry about it, my constultant said there is no risk of getting it anywhere else on your body.
There is nothing your partner can do, he may be a carrier of HPV as most sexually active men are, just being there supporting you is the best you could ask for.
Also concerning how long you have had HPV, I have not had a boyfriend for over 3 years now and I have been diagnosed with severe displasia CIN 3, just had my Leep procedure yesterday. I also asked why my body had not cleared the virus, it could be a number of reasons but in my case my consultant said it was my age, at 39 it can take a long time to clear it if at all, smoking is another risk as is a low immune system etc.
I hope this helped answer some of your questions.

Lilith, thank you do much for this message. It's really helpful. :)

Your very welcome, my consultant must of been so mad at me as I went in with 11 questions written down for him lol.
Also your pap came back as ASC-US which is not even classed as dysplacia or CIN yet so that is very good news for you, it is just a very mild change that they cannot even class. As far as I know minute changes are ASC-US then you go to mild dysplasia or CIN 1, then moderate dysplasia CIN 2 then severe dysplasia like I have is classed as CIN 3 or carcinoma in situ. Your ASC-US has the highest chance of just going away on its own CIN 1 also has this ability. You are lucky it was picked up so early as to monitor it now. I went straight in with CIN 3 even though I had regular smears every 3 years, hence me having to have my Leep 2 days ago. I have to wait now for the results to come back which take 2-4 weeks. Im terrified.

Lilith, I am sure everything will turn out fine after your LEEP. I mean it's pre-cancer cells, still on the surface and not even CIS (in situ) which is still not yet cancer. I found this info from cancer.org to be comforting: "It is important to remember that abnormalities rarely become cancerous, and even severe lesions do not always lead to cancer." another quote I have in my phone to refer to is from ashastd.org: "Cancer is an uncommon outcome of infection, even with the oncogenic HPV genotypes." And oncogenic types are the high-risk strains that cause all this mayhem.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders