Cervical Cancer at 19 Years Old

There is a 0.00002% chance that a woman under the age of 20 would be diagnosed with cervical cancer. I thought my chance were pretty good. I was wrong. Yesterday I was told that I have cervical cancer. I didn’t know what to say. How does one react to such new? To think that before I have graduated from college, or gotten married, or had a baby, or even been allowed to have a legal alcoholic beverage, I have cancer.
My birthday is in 10 days and I'm terrified. Cancer. How does one wrap their head around that?

9 replies. Join the discussion

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I am sorry. Although I am now 36 years old, I was also diagnosed with cancer (melanoma) when I was 23. The diagnosis was about two weeks before my wedding and I dealt with all the fear, anger, uncertainty, etc. that you are facing now.

The good news is that you have a young, strong body and this will put you in the best possible position to respond well to whatever treatment is recommended for you.

Surround yourself with friends and family to support you and help you stay strong (and to pick you up on the days that you fall to pieces). Eat well. Try to rest. Pray. Keep us posted.

My deepest sympathies to you....you have every right to feel every emotion that will come to you in the next while...ride the wave, breath, and you will come out ok on the other side. Thoughts are with you. Sam

I am so sorry for your diagnosis. Keep posting and hopefully we can help you get through some of your journey. Also, if you set your posts to Members Only you'll get more responses. You should be able to still change it.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, no one should. What stage of cancer do you have? Have the doctors discussed treatment options with you? I'm 23 and got the news a week and a half ago that I have adenocarcinoma in situ and am having surgery next Friday to remove the affected tissue. My doctors say I have a really good advantage over this because of my age and health. Take comfort in that and get as much information as you can. It's usually pretty comforting. The ladies on here are also really great about offering support and advice. Keep us posted and take care of yourself. Find some quiet time to relax and take deep breaths, and put everything in perspective.

sorry to hear that,have you shot the vaccine before? named cervarix ,and gardasil?

I am so sorry to hear about this. Absolutely devasting. I feel your pain, but may sure to hold your head high. Things will get better. I'm hoping you can get a robotic rad trach in order to allow you to have children. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions re: the surgery. I know it may seem like the world is ending right now, but I promise things will get better.

Hi there, I just wanted to post on this thread in hopes of making sure you see some of the messages that have been posted for you. I'm not sure if you have seen the ones on your other thread yet or not. From what you have described in your other information it actually does not sound like you have cancer, this sounds more like dysplasia. Likely mild or even moderate (CIN1 or CIN2) if it is being treated by cryotherapy, although some may even use this method for severe dysplasia. This is NOT a method for cancer. If you were to have cancer, the method of treatment is different. I say this in hopes of helping to lift some of your fear and I am sorry your doctor miscommunicated with you. If you do have cancer, you need to be referred to a gyn-onc! I strongly urge you to obtain a copy of your medical records. Knowledge is power, but you need to have accurate information with exact an exact diagnosis. This site will have plenty of knowledgeable and experienced members that may help you to navigate through this confusing time.
Best wishes

Hi there. Im so sorry to hear this. How are you coping with your diagnosis? please vent on here if you need to, you must be feeling a lot of mixed emotions right now but thats what we are all here for....to listen. xxx

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. After reading the other posts as well, it sounds to me as if you may actually have cin as well, a precancerous condition. I know once that term cancer comes out, you tune everything else out. Sadly, it is an all too common occurrence with young women such as yourself. Unfortunately Dr/gynos are in a routine of handing out this news on a repetitive basis so they don't realize that although they may be saying it for the 1000th time, for the woman it's the first. If they understood the anxiety and terror it puts a woman through they may take a little more time to explain it. For peace of mind I would call your Dr to get that clarification.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders