Why does bad news follow good news?

The sort of good news is that my sister's insurance approved her transfer to the rehab floor. She was moved last night. She will begin phys. therapy today, twice a day for 1.5 hours each time. I hope they get her walking soon so that she can be out of the hospital. She is quite miserable being there and just wants to go home.

The bad news is that my husband's 32-year old nephew who was diagnosed a little more than a month ago (2 weeks before his wedding) has developed bone mets to his colorectal cancer. I couldn't find anything at all on the Internet about this, and the reason, his doctor said only 5% of people with colorectal cancer get bone mets. His whole family is completely broken and the nephew has stopped radiation (he completed 24 of his 28 sessions). I know he will not be able to tolerate the chemo since he is so weak now, cannot eat, can't sleep because of the pain. I have asked my husband if he wanted to go to Egypt to visit him, but he said no. We were there at Easter time to visit him and it was just so sad.

What other bad news can I tell. My sister really needs to do a bone scan but her husband says if she found out she had bone mets, she would discontinue all treatment. My other sister and I have told him the dire consequences if she does have bone mets, but he knows she will not be able to handle anything else in her life now. I agree with him, but then I am quite anxious if she does have bone mets. What a dilemma for him to be in. He just doesn't know what to do any more.

2 replies. Join the discussion

oh I'm so sorry. That is alot of news on loved ones to wrap your brain around. I hope your sister's theropy helps alot. Keep the faith ((Hugs)) thoughts and prayers for you and your loved ones. Chris/Steve

You have a lot going on in your life, make sure you are taking care of you as best you can, wishing the best for you and your family

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders