Cisplatin

Is Cisplatin typically given only on the first day of a three day treatment with Etoposide or are they both given all three consecutive days? The nurse said my mom would be there for 8 hours and now I'm thinking they are giving Cisplatin all three days. I have asked my mom to clarify with the nurse.

11 replies. Join the discussion

hi , I think that Cisplatin is given only first day, it is very toxic, that is how my dad receiving chemotherapy by PE protocol, see which protocol is given to your mom

sett is probably correct ~ I don't know anything about PE protocol, but it may be different for everyone. I got a Cisplatin & Etopicide cocktail for sets of 3 days in a row, then 3 weeks "off", for 4 cycles. It was always the doublet, never just one chemo agent. Before the real deal, however, I was infused with saline, then anti-nausea meds and, I think, steroids, which took some time. The first day always took the longest.

My husband gets Cisplatin on one of the 3 days in the round (usually the first day); Etoposide on all 3.

So 2 days of Etop only... 1 day of both. On his first round, he had received the Cisplatin on the second day, rather than the first because he had his port put in that day; so they gave him the shorter round of chemo to start.

My husband received treatments exactly the same as (starcitychef), all 3 days with 3 weeks off. Never was sick from any of that and did have the steroids as well, which gave him some difficulty trying to sleep those 3 days but was ok after that. He did have lots of fatigue from all the treatments but that went away as well for the most part. His 3 days were always about the same amount of time, about 6 hours depending on how many persons were in there at the time.

I also am currently receiving Etoposide and Cisplatin for 3 days with 3 weeks off.

I think it all depends on your particular drug cocktail. I got cisplatin, Alimta and Avastin all on one day, together, over 8 hours, then 3 weeks later another infusion.

I have had both...cistplatin is a one day treatment, etopicide has to b given for three consecutive days in a row. That's why the first day takes so long...first u get pre meds, then the chemos :) good luck :)

My husband is on the PE protocol. He gets the cisplatin on day one along with the etopside. With labs, MD, etc that is an 8 hour day for us. Then on Tues. and Wed. he gets just the etoposide. I am not sure what all antiemitics and fluids he is gets. They just ask him what he wants on day 2 and 3. Like we know???? 1st round we ended up in hospital for 5 days and this time around, he got the neulasta shot. Has an itchy rash on his head. HIs counts are good, but he still feels like crap! So we are waiting to hear back about rash. I did see this time that MD adjusted dose of etoposide he was getting. They also gave him decadron. Not sure if he had that the 1st time around or not! I wonder if anyone else who had the shot had any itching. Thanks - hope you have your question answered by now.

i had cisplatin and navelbine. The cisplatin was a 6 hour push - the navelbine 30 minute push. when they give cisplatin they wusually hydrate as well - that's why it takes so long. Most people don't drink enough fluids with cisplatin.

Thanks for your p[ost. Fluids is the last thing this man likes! I played Nurse Ratchett" the first go round and have left him on his own this time. He has done poorly. I know he doesn't like fluids, but, though he doesn't say it, I think he feels so crappy that he just doesn't want to do it. I would do better if he would just say it. He seems to be trying harder today! Does drinking the water make a big difference?

I strongly belive it does... My mom is on cisplatin and vinorelbine/navelbine. She takes approx. 2l of fluids with the infusion (what they give her anyhow) and drinks in addition 2-3l per day of table water. And so far (knock on wood), no severe side effects apart from some fatigue on one day.
Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders